Drivers on the Stocksbridge bypass

You are if you habitually drive at 20% under the speed limit for no good reason.

At least IMO (and that of the driving test) driving under the speed limit for no good reason is a fault.

---------- Post added 30-08-2018 at 10:12 ----------

So did I, 22 years ago now and I can still remember it. The examiner asked me afterwards why I didn't accelerate to 70mph on the dual carriageway, I think I did 60 as I was actually worried that doing 70 would somehow be 'too fast'...

The speed limit is exactly that - it's not a target.

Just because it's legal to drive at that speed it doesn't mean you should.

Take into account all road conditions including weather and visibity.

---------- Post added 04-09-2018 at 11:27 ----------

You're driving badly and claiming that it's a demonstration of driving skill.

It'd be funny if there weren't quite so many drivers who do the same.

Speed clearly doesn't kill, this is a stupid saying. Rapid deceleration and having bits of broken car poked holes in you kills. Speed does nothing to you at all.

Speed kills.

Your reaction time isn't diminished, but the distance your vehicle travels is greater, and you're travelling with a greater momentum for the same distance.

Speed kills, QED

Have you never considered that so many have questioned your driving (myself included on another thread) that you might be the problem?

If you can't or won't drive to the limit of the road when the conditions allow then please use other roads where the limit is set to your ability - i.e. 30mph.

You're the type who probably does 50 on motorways (no doubt because you remember the phrase "50 is thrifty") and forces lorries into the second lane.

Alchey, your right, I"m disappointed no one seems to agree with me, and I will say quite categoricaly there is nothing wrong with driving at 50 on a motorway.

Alchey, your right, I"m disappointed no one seems to agree with me, and I will say quite categoricaly there is nothing wrong with driving at 50 on a motorway.

driving at 50mph on a motorway designed for vehicles to exceed that speed is dangerous, even hgvs drive at 58mph where possible. 70mph now is too low and a police officer is likely to pull you over if you are hindering (driving at 50) other vehicles making good progress and rightly so! this is some of the reasons motorways get tailbacks.

was this you padders?? https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/motorway-lane-hogger-drove-50mph-6382146

Edited by realcockney

driving at 50mph on a motorway designed for vehicles to exceed that speed is dangerous, even hgvs drive at 58mph where possible. 70mph now is too low and a police officer is likely to pull you over if you are hindering (driving at 50) other vehicles making good progress and rightly so! this is some of the reasons motorways get tailbacks.

So why don"t we have a minimum speed limit on motorways, if, as you state 50 is dangerous, lets have a minimum speed limit of 60.

So why don"t we have a minimum speed limit on motorways, if, as you state 50 is dangerous, lets have a minimum speed limit of 60.

its impossible to set a minimum limit when weather, traffic and terrain sometimes dictate speed. i get that sometimes you may have to drive at 30,40 etc but when the road conditions and traffic is clear and flowing drivers should be at or very near to the max to help movement and flow.

was this you padders?? https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/motorway-lane-hogger-drove-50mph-6382146

Congratulations Cockney, you"ve proved your point, I can"t believe it, I will have to change my driving habits, enjoyed the debate though:thumbsup:

[/b]

Congratulations Cockney, you"ve proved your point, I can"t believe it, I will have to change my driving habits, enjoyed the debate though:thumbsup:

you're welcome:love:

As a lorry driver of some 30 years I’d disagree with you.

Aggressive driving, intolerance and a lack of anticipation are far more dangerous than driving below the speed limit. On my daily commute I can knock 6 minutes off an hour-and-a-quarter’s commute each way if I really cane it. If I was a ‘better’ driver I’m sure I could hurtle past the slower stuff every day, but I could never justify the associated risk and I don’t need that 6 minutes badly enough, so have learned to be patient, and tag along behind the slower cyclists, trucks and caravans until it’s safe to pass. I enjoy the drive much more this way, and arrive relaxed and ready.

Aggressive driving, intolerance and a lack of anticipation are far more dangerous than driving below the speed limit. On my daily commute I can knock 6 minutes off an hour-and-a-quarter’s commute each way if I really cane it. If I was a ‘better’ driver I’m sure I could hurtle past the slower stuff every day, but I could never justify the associated risk and I don’t need that 6 minutes badly enough, so have learned to be patient, and tag along behind the slower cyclists, trucks and caravans until it’s safe to pass. I enjoy the drive much more this way, and arrive relaxed and ready.

its not a case of caning it or aggressive driving its as you also said anticipation and patience but its also making good progress, you may enjoy pootling along enjoying the scenery but there will be frustrated drivers which are also a problem behind you? the key is making good progress not dawdling.

its not a case of caning it or aggressive driving its as you also said anticipation and patience but its also making good progress, you may enjoy pootling along enjoying the scenery but there will be frustrated drivers which are also a problem behind you? the key is making good progress not dawdling.

No, the real key is Safety - Safety to myself and Safety to those around me. Choosing to overtake the slower traffic in front of me before it's safe, for the benefit of those behind me, is never going to happen.

Well you certainly can't be driving in the city if you're appreciating the scenery :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi: