Is this a rip off? anyone know the law on employment?

My partner has just started working for an agency, she is not self employed and gets paid paye by the agency, but she has told me they take £30 admin fee out of her wages every week, when she asked what it was for, they waffled on saying it was for various things, but when she pinned them down she was told it was for their accountant to work out what tax she pays and calculate her wages...

Surely this must be illegal? i have never worked for anyone who takes my money for just working out what i should get paid, anyone know the legality of this?

My partner has just started working for an agency, she is not self employed and gets paid paye by the agency, but she has told me they take £30 admin fee out of her wages every week, when she asked what it was for, they waffled on saying it was for various things, but when she pinned them down she was told it was for their accountant to work out what tax she pays and calculate her wages...

Surely this must be illegal? i have never worked for anyone who takes my money for just working out what i should get paid, anyone know the legality of this?

Same thing happened to my son. But that was some time ago, does it still go on?

He seemed to think it was pretty common for agency work, but I think it's disgusting, along with other practices like not getting paid for all the hours worked, not getting paid at all, in fact many of the infringements of worker's rights which it seems you just have to put up with, in this so called 'gig' economy.

Some agencies will charge a percentage of what they pay you, some charge a flat fee and some will pay you £18/hour and charge the client £25/hr. Parasites, but sometimes you have no choice but to bend over and take it

Same thing happened to my son. But that was some time ago, does it still go on?

He seemed to think it was pretty common for agency work, but I think it's disgusting, along with other practices like not getting paid for all the hours worked, not getting paid at all, in fact many of the infringements of worker's rights which it seems you just have to put up with, in this so called 'gig' economy.

indeed, almost everything these days is through agencies, more and more employers work through agencies :(

Thanks for everyone's help.

I thought i would give you an update.

I called ACAS and asked them for advice on her behalf, they told us if she was not an umbrella scheme then there is no way they should take any more, they told us to contact the agency to confirm if she was on an umbrella scheme, they said no, just standard PAYE, then she was told to ask them what exactly what the money was taken for, last week they told her the money was for the wages dept, but today it had changed to pay for her training...when informed that there hadnt been any training involved they started to get all flustered...

To cut a long story short, she demanded her money and was told it would be in her account on Friday and no other monies would be taken...What a set of filthy thieves..!!!, no doubt this is going on with all the other agency staff they employ.

My partner is now going as a PLC and will pay her own tax etc...

Agency companies are the scourge of this country, i cannot put my hatred of them into words.

Once again thanks for all the help and advice, and hopefully someone may come across this thread in a similar situation

Off topic bickering has been removed, please dont turn this into yet another anti-government thread.

Thank you.

Ltd company, PLC would mean that's she's floating the company on the stock market.

Ltd company, PLC would mean that's she's floating the company on the stock market.

I am not sure Cyclone, you may well be right, as long as she wasnt getting ripped off was all i was concerned about, thanks

Best thing to do is to check your contract, it should say how much you're getting paid?

Its a long time since I worked for agencies but I worked for a few in the mid to late 90s. I was always told my hourly rate and that's what I got. The agency sorted out tax and NI, no other charges were levied at me.

---------- Post added 07-06-2018 at 16:00 ----------

I am not sure Cyclone, you may well be right, as long as she wasnt getting ripped off was all i was concerned about, thanks

She will have a lot more money to spend if she goes Ltd. You have end of year report amongst other things to deal with. When we started nine years ago the average accountants fees for a small Ltd company were around £600 per annum, assuming you do most of the invoicing etc yourself.