Strange Pub Names

I remember when working on the railway south of Doncaster there was the Packet Inn which appropriately appeared to have closed down.

There was a pub with the nickname 'Swingers' (not sure which context it was used) in Sheffield city centre, However I cannot remember its proper name or exact location

I know of a pub in the Philippines which is grossly misnamed 'The Temple of a Thousand Virgins'

There was/is a pub in Worksop called "The Frog and Nightgown"...

There was/is a pub in Worksop called "The Frog and Nightgown"...

This is a result of some spotty Herbert putting forward a stupid name to replace what must have been a normal pub name.

---------- Post added 07-12-2017 at 11:33 ----------

A favourite pub in Grimesthorpe was called the WHO CAN TELL anyone know how it got the name ???

This pub was named after a horse that won a race or won the last held race at the Crookesmoor racecourse, now sadly gone.

There is a pub on the Chesterfield to Mansfield road called "The Young Vanish." Apparently there was a racehorse of that name in the 19th century.

This is a result of some spotty Herbert putting forward a stupid name to replace what must have been a normal pub name.

---------- Post added 07-12-2017 at 11:33 ----------

This pub was named after a horse that won a race or won the last held race at the Crookesmoor racecourse, now sadly gone.

In 1978 there was a Frog and Nightgown on the Old Kent Road, London.

I went on a fishing trip to March in Cambridgeshire The owner of the pub we stayed at had lost an eye in the RN. The pubs name was The one eyed red lion.

The Jervis Lumb and the hen & chickens always feel quite unique

The Jervis Lumb and the hen & chickens always feel quite unique

The Jervis Lumb was named after the after area where it was built, it's not a made up name and as for the Hen & Chickens, well that speaks for itself.

The Cremorne

Pig and Whistle

Dove and Rainbow (lovely name)

---------- Post added 09-12-2017 at 17:21 ----------

The Florist

---------- Post added 09-12-2017 at 17:30 ----------

If I ever open a pub it will be named 'The Floppy Ferret'

What about pubs that had names that didn't take much imagination or thinking about ? The Sheffield Arms (Upwell Street) for instance, they might have called it Grimesthorpe this or that to reflect the area, 'Upwell Inn' might not have been a wise choice tho'.

What about pubs that had names that didn't take much imagination or thinking about ? The Sheffield Arms (Upwell Street) for instance, they might have called it Grimesthorpe this or that to reflect the area, 'Upwell Inn' might not have been a wise choice tho'.

my bold

it would have been an excellent choice after all, there are plenty of pubs called **** in.