Box set and binge viewing megathread.

I've been revisting Person of Interest on Netflix. The first two and a half seasons were so good. The Crossing and The Devil's Share, from season 3, are simply superb. Alas, the introduction of the indescribably irritating Root as a major character, coupled with the

killing off of Joss

made it unwatchable.

The first five seasons of The Mentalist are excellent too. Watch season 6 to find out the identity of Red John (in a series of episodes that felt oddly rushed and tacked on as an afterthought, as if they realised that they'd better resolve the storyline before the series got cancelled). You can skip the short seventh season, as it all gets a bit rom-com (the original production team and some of the writers had left to focus on Gotham, I believe).

Yeah and latest series has gone off to chuffing Netflix. :rant::rant::rant:

After the way the BBC treated the previous season it doesn't surprise me at all.

An oldie, but House, which I dismissed for so long as just a medical drama. Incredibly well written, well acted; just brilliant. Currently at series 5.

Dexter - Season 4. The one with John Lithgow as the Trinity killer.

I used to let these pile up on my Sky+ box. Sat down one evening to watch a couple of episodes. Couldn't stop till I'd seen the last one. Was 2am by that time and had to be up at 6 for work. But it was that good.

I'm fairly hooked on the original NCIS - now just finishing it's 13th season. Started watching it about 3 years ago and had 10 seasons to get though at the time. Was a bit square eyed by the end of catching up :hihi:

I forgot to mention Hannibal - lavish,arty almost to the point of self indulgence, but well written and beautifully shot. Sound dept need a slap though. Well worth a look.

I was wrong about Gotham. I've persevered beyond the pilot and first couple of episodes - which were rather slow - and binged on a good chunk of the series. It's fabulous: intriguing story-telling, excellent acting (Penguin and Nygma are superb), beautifully shot and lit, and with fantastic attention to detail. New York, dressed as the city of Gotham, is darkly gorgeous.

I suspect DC fanboys might not share my high regard - I understand some liberties have been taken with the source material - but anyone willing to remove their sticks should find Gotham worthy of attention.

In similar territory, I thought that both The Flash and Agents of Shield suffered a significant drop in quality after their first and second seasons respectively. The latter became hilariously po-faced with the introduction of the transforming maguffin whatnot and Skye et als' subsequent transformation. The Flash, meanwhile, which had been consistently excellent throughout its first season, and which ended on a brilliant cliffhanger, clanged back to earth early in season 2 when established characters began to behave bizarrely out of character to further the development of the storyline. Disappointing, particularly for The Flash.

Currently watching:

Bones

Fringe

House

GoT

Billions

True detective (for the 3rd time)

Limitless.

On the list to watch:

Start GoT again when s6 finishes.

Better call Saul.

House of Cards.

Homeland.

Luther.

Already watched but imo must see in order of brilliance:

1, Sopranos.

2, The Wire.

3, 24.

4, The affair.

5, maybe not the most popular but I really enjoyed Entourage or you like a bit of lighted hearted easy to watch fun.

Binge viewing Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and Smiley's People.

Superb.

I was wrong about Gotham. I've persevered beyond the pilot and first couple of episodes - which were rather slow - and binged on a good chunk of the series. It's fabulous: intriguing story-telling, excellent acting (Penguin and Nygma are superb), beautifully shot and lit, and with fantastic attention to detail. New York, dressed as the city of Gotham, is darkly gorgeous.

I suspect DC fanboys might not share my high regard - I understand some liberties have been taken with the source material - but anyone willing to remove their sticks should find Gotham worthy of attention.

In similar territory, I thought that both The Flash and Agents of Shield suffered a significant drop in quality after their first and second seasons respectively. The latter became hilariously po-faced with the introduction of the transforming maguffin whatnot and Skye et als' subsequent transformation. The Flash, meanwhile, which had been consistently excellent throughout its first season, and which ended on a brilliant cliffhanger, clanged back to earth early in season 2 when established characters began to behave bizarrely out of character to further the development of the storyline. Disappointing, particularly for The Flash.

Gotham for me peaked midway through series 2. The continuing, blatantly obvious presence of Theo galavan became more than I could stand which is shame because up to then it was solid.

Bingeing on Bloodline on Netflix at the moment - first season superb - just watched ep one of season two - will see ....but highly recommend the first season.

Just finished watching the first season of Spartacus for the first time since it was broadcast. Great fun and hugely underrated.