FOOTBALL, a casual observation.

As a Rugby fan I don't watch hardly any football, but sitting down with a bacon butty this morning, football was on the box when I turned it on so I watched some of it.

Here are my observations of the so called beautiful game. It is no longer English, it seems to be filled to bursting with foreign players and indeed foreign managers. Surely this must impact on the National team by reducing the number of players the English manager has to choose from. If the top division had say for instance 300 players to choose from, BUT due to foreign players this was reduced down to 100, it must impact on the managers choice of players. So, taking that as fact would it be possible to limit the numbers of non English players on the pitch to say two per side as a maximum, giving the prospective England team players more of a chance to show their skills.

Angel1.

Rugby - a casual observation. Can't watch rugby. OK i don't understand it but hoofing it out of play to make progress??

Edited by blackydog

The clubs would never agree to it as it dilutes their global reach and brand. The FA can’t enforce it is a restraint of trade, discriminatory and illegal under EU law. In any event if it was the case the top premier league clubs would just form a European super league and run it with their own rules. It is a by product of a global economy and workforce.

More english youngsters should go and play in leagues abroad like their foreign counterparts, but they rarely do.

The clubs would never agree to it as it dilutes their global reach and brand. The FA can’t enforce it is a restraint of trade, discriminatory and illegal under EU law. In any event if it was the case the top premier league clubs would just form a European super league and run it with their own rules. It is a by product of a global economy and workforce.

More english youngsters should go and play in leagues abroad like their foreign counterparts, but they rarely do.

It's all about money,the reason foreign players come here is for the payday.

I agree. As would anyone else in any other industry.

As a Rugby fan I don't watch hardly any football, but sitting down with a bacon butty this morning, football was on the box when I turned it on so I watched some of it.

Here are my observations of the so called beautiful game. It is no longer English, it seems to be filled to bursting with foreign players and indeed foreign managers. Surely this must impact on the National team by reducing the number of players the English manager has to choose from. If the top division had say for instance 300 players to choose from, BUT due to foreign players this was reduced down to 100, it must impact on the managers choice of players. So, taking that as fact would it be possible to limit the numbers of non English players on the pitch to say two per side as a maximum, giving the prospective England team players more of a chance to show their skills.

Angel1.

Surely the 100 players would be the best though? I would have to assume that a player in the 200-300 bracket,even though they might be Premier League players, would not be considered good enough for the England team.

All of Sheffield United’s players are either Irish or British, although Carter- whoisit qualifies as American, although I believe he’s British born

Our one season sun in the Prem was like a circus

---------- Post added 14-11-2017 at 13:50 ----------

Wednesday’s manager and back room staff are foreigners as are some players.

British football has lost its soul.

This thread is about the national team. Why bring Wednesday and United into it?

Strange I thought it was about football in England and that it was no longer an English game. So I added that the Blades had no foreign players to make a point that it was only really at the top level that was chock full with foreign players.

As this is the Sheffield forum and Sheffield has two professional clubs I thought it might be appropriate to bring them into the discussion.

This appears to have offended you

Rugby - a casual observation. Can't watch rugby. OK i don't understand it but hoofing it out of play to make progress??

As opposed to "hoofing it out of play" to halt progress?:D

---------- Post added 14-11-2017 at 23:21 ----------

Angel1.

I believe there is a rule in effect which says that all premiership teams must have at least 5 homegrown players in the 25 man pool, or something like that.

Edited by Ontarian1981
spelling

The national team was rubbish back in the days when the top flight was filled with British Isles pllayers. World football has moved on while we have stagnated and pay average players ridiculous sums before they've achieved anything in the game.

The national team was rubbish back in the days when the top flight was filled with British Isles pllayers. World football has moved on while we have stagnated and pay average players ridiculous sums before they've achieved anything in the game.

And its still rubbish now.