Clarence Street

Hi there, from what I've found through Ancestry my great grandmother Susannah Hoyland had a number of brothers and sisters .....

Anne E Hoyland b 1869

William Hoyland 1874

Elizabeth Hoyland 1876

Emma Hoyland 1881

Susannah Hoyland 1883

Frederick Hoyland 1886

Morris Hoyland 1892

Their parents were John Hoyland 1849-1907 and Mary Stych 1853-1907.

Do these names mean anything to you ????

hiya,one of my school mates lived on clarence st opposite egerton st,paul davison, his dad was freddie he was a buffer, also the shop on the corner of clarence st and egerton st lived another one called jack mitchell.

Hi hillsbro

I know this is quite an old post but I Am interested to know more about this shop you mention for the life of me I cant recall a polish family living in the area I vaguely remember a upholstery shop at the junction of Hurst rd and Clarence st owned by the Denall family the other shops I can just about recall starting at the junction of Bridgefield rd and Clarence st working up was the Doctors, chip shop, hairdressers (Twiggy's), newsagents (berisfords I think) then the mind has gone blank CHEERS.

Hi you mention the Denall family and the upholstery shop. My name is Richard Dennell and we used to live above the shop and Percy Broomhead lived at the back of the shop. I remember it well. The upholstery shop belonged to my dad so the name is not Denall but Dennell, I had two brothers Ronald and Michael and a sister called Shirley and Pat. I do remember the Hewitt family Dewsnap family. I also remember Nora who had the second hand clothes shop.

---------- Post added 03-10-2015 at 09:28 ----------

Was it Defo Percy broom head ?? Have you any pics or know if there s any in books online etc ?? There's one pic I ve found of Clarence st on Sheffield old pictures site it has a shop on a corner the entrance door is also built into the corner of the building would that be the shop. ?

Hi I remember Percy Broomhead we lived above him. My dad was married to Irene Broomhead unfortunately Irene passed away at a very young age, my dad and Irene had a child called Michael Dennell he was my step brother. I also remember Roy Broomhead, Roy was Irene brother. I hope you get this message

CAN ANYONE HELP???

My grandfathers birth certificate shows the address he lived at after he was born was 148 Clarence Street, but I can't for the life of me find it, but I can find the street. Can anyone explain.

hiya, i've gone through all the letters on this thread and not one has answered your question fullly, you asked where would clarence st be today,if you can see the glass fronted bulding on the dual carriage way from the traffic island at broad lane to the nexy one which was moor st well clarence st ran where the left roadway looking towards the moor st island the glass fronted building took place of viners cutlery firm this was the start of clarence st.

Old directories indicate that 148 Clarence Street was on the south side, about halfway between Moore Street and Clarence Lane (see here from the 1925 Kelly's Directory). This places it opposite the end of Michael Road. Here is a comparison of old and new maps (from maps.nls.uk) with yellow dots indicating the position of No 148.

Hi

I remember visiting my Gran in clarence Street in the sixties and her name was Jessie Self (nee Moorhouse)and she lived with her son Raymond Self Who later became my dad. I would be about 5 or 6 at the time and i wondered if anyone can remember her and which house number she lived at and also any relatives that also lived in the area. She was one of 14 brothers and sisters but only 10 survived birth.

When Clarence Street was demolished she was moved to a 4 storie block of flats on Blackstock road.

Hi Minan - welcome to the Forum! :)

I can tell you which house your gran lived in. The "1939 register" shows that Horace and Jessie Self lived at No 2/4 Clarence Street, that is, the fourth house in the second "court". The occupants of court houses (which were usually, though not always, of the back-to-back type) were not listed individually in directories, but click here to see a scan from the 1954 Kelly's Directory. I've indicated the reference to Court 2 - access would have been through a passage to the yard, with four houses facing the yard

In case it's of interest, here is an edited scan from the 1939 register.

Hillsboro, have you any records of the houses around 111 Moore Street? 1939 and 1954. Many thanks in anticipation.

Hillsboro, have you any records of the houses around 111 Moore Street? 1939 and 1954...

Here are scans from the 1937 (left) and 1954 Kelly's directories. :)

Thanks for that Hillsboro. It's appreciated.

hi minan

knew your gran very well and son Raymond and you have lots of relatives in and around Sheffield.

Hi

I can't see my gran on the scan you sent me only the arrow pointing to court 2

Is there a reason for this.

Regards; Minan