Council tree felling...

SY Plod have shown thoughout these protests they are bullies and are happy to man handle and assault pensioners . They disgust me .

Until you you get robbed, assaulted or any other plethora of reasons folk call the police.

Certainly not by me, and not by anyone that I know. Tax avoidance is just a sensible approach to any business. Would you say that a business donating money to charity to avoid tax should be condemned?

Tax avoidance, or in other words cheating the system, is a structural aspect of the neoliberal agenda. It is carefully arranged within the UK government by staff from the major accountancy firms such as PwC (PricewaterhouseCooper), KPMG (Klynveld Peat Marwick Goerdeler) and Neil Young (After the Goldrush) who are seconded by HMRC to write tax law, which they riddle with loopholes and then return to their accountancy firms to exploit those same loopholes. Wake up!

Would I say that a business donating money to charity to avoid tax should be condemned? Yes. Unequivocally. There would be no need for charity if HMRC and the tax agencies in other nations collected the taxes owed. And the very fact that charity is tax deductible is part of the scandal. Eton College is a charity. The wealthy send their boys to Eton, then donate to Eton, their children benefit whilst state schools are driven into crisis due to lack of revenue, and it's all tax deductible. What a cosy little arrangement.

Charity is a structural component of free market ideology. It claims to offer choice, one of those favourite words within the neoliberal lexicon.

By ideology I mean an idea that claims to be naturally true when it is in fact entirely made up in order to uphold vested interests.

The conservative-led coalition insisted that charities should step in when the cynical policy of austerity was imposed, leaving the public sector to flounder. They called it the Big Society. It was a cynical wheeze.

Amey (Grupo Ferrovial) don't trouble themselves with paying tax. But that doesn't mean they don't like tax - in fact they love it, our taxes that is! They like nothing more than stuffing their pockets with our council tax.

---------- Post added 21-03-2018 at 16:12 ----------

Did I say Neil Young? Apologies, my mistake. I meant Ernst & Young.

Edited by Staunton

I only ask out of interest but if someone else's tree ... as in the case the council's... over hangs your property is there any legal means that enables you to force them to prune it back to outside your border.

Also as council trees, I have none, deposit large amounts of leaves in the autumn which completely cover the front my property do I have any means by which I can force the council to come and remove them?

This last autumn I paid some kids to put the leaves in the bin for me, a bin man said he was not supposed to empty it if it was full of leaves when I explained they were all council leaves he said he'd take my bin this time but next time there is a scheme for garden rubbish.

Put the leaves in black bin liner bags at the bottom of the bin then put your 'normal' household rubbish on top. What they can't see they won't complain about :)

Tax avoidance, or in other words cheating the system, is a structural aspect of the neoliberal agenda. It is carefully arranged within the UK government by staff from the major accountancy firms such as PwC (PricewaterhouseCooper), KPMG (Klynveld Peat Marwick Goerdeler) and Neil Young (After the Goldrush) who are seconded by HMRC to write tax law, which they riddle with loopholes and then return to their accountancy firms to exploit those same loopholes. Wake up!

Would I say that a business donating money to charity to avoid tax should be condemned? Yes. Unequivocally. There would be no need for charity if HMRC and the tax agencies in other nations collected the taxes owed. And the very fact that charity is tax deductible is part of the scandal. Eton College is a charity. The wealthy send their boys to Eton, then donate to Eton, their children benefit whilst state schools are driven into crisis due to lack of revenue, and it's all tax deductible. What a cosy little arrangement.

Charity is a structural component of free market ideology. It claims to offer choice, one of those favourite words within the neoliberal lexicon.

By ideology I mean an idea that claims to be naturally true when it is in fact entirely made up in order to uphold vested interests.

The conservative-led coalition insisted that charities should step in when the cynical policy of austerity was imposed, leaving the public sector to flounder. They called it the Big Society. It was a cynical wheeze.

Amey (Grupo Ferrovial) don't trouble themselves with paying tax. But that doesn't mean they don't like tax - in fact they love it, our taxes that is! They like nothing more than stuffing their pockets with our council tax.

I have no problem with anyone legally moving their money around to avoid paying tax. I do it myself. Millions of us do.

I have no problem with anyone legally moving their money around to avoid paying tax. I do it myself. Millions of us do.

And do you have enough wealth to cover private healthcare should you become ill?

What about your family? are they all covered?

Do you mind that Amey and their stooges at Sheffield City Council are keen on cutting trees down for profit whilst social care for the elderly and disabled is failing to function due to the funding crisis?

And do you have enough wealth to cover private healthcare should you become ill?

What about your family? are they all covered?

Do you mind that Amey and their stooges at Sheffield City Council are keen on cutting trees down for profit whilst social care for the elderly and disabled is failing to function due to the funding crisis?

Yes

Yes

No

Yes

Yes

No

Well there we are. That's plain for all to read.

All those words, and none about trees (let alone those on Sandford Grove Road)...

...its a good job you didn't write all that on paper.

Whats happening to the trees?

Whats happening to the trees?

It's moved down to Rivelin Valley Road and ... "#TootGate"!

Edited by cgksheff

It's moved down to Rivelin Valley Road and ... "#TootGate"!

I must say those vuvuzoola spoiled the World Cup for me!

All those words, and none about trees (let alone those on Sandford Grove Road)...

You want to talk about trees? Well you can talk about them till they're all sawn down.

How can a multinational tax avoiding corporation make money out of verge trees? Easy - form a lucrative 'partnership' with a corrupt local authority, then send a team of low-paid workers to cut them down and charge the public an inflated price for the work.

But surely there's no money? Well, you could be forgiven for believing so. However, austerity is not real, it's an ideologically motivated policy designed to enrich the already wealthy at the expense of everyone else. There's always money available for multinational corporations to load into their offshore accounts.

Neoliberals love tax – of course they don't trouble themselves to pay tax, but they happily help themselves to the taxes that ordinary people pay - VAT, Council Tax, Income Tax, they are not fussy.

Sheffield City Council are neither Labour nor Conservative. They are neoliberal. They have become nothing more than agents for their contractors, adept at the instrumental use of bureaucracy to frustrate any opposition. And it works. The myth is that neoliberals hate all forms of government, but this sordid episode proves the opposite - they need government agencies to channel contracts in the direction of the multinationals, and to debilitate any opposition, by force if necessary.

Does anyone really want to stop this corrupt pantomime?

If people really want to see change in relation to the tree-felling scandal there is no point in gathering in a small huddle around the latest site of operations, that's just routine duties for the police and the goons. The only effective way is to meet in the city centre. But such a meeting must be counted in the tens of thousands, or the police will simply follow the procedures they learned in training and break up the event. And anyone attending must be prepared to stay there, all day, all night, all week, until the scandalous arrangement between SCC and Amey is abandoned and the sleazy SCC stooges forced out of office. Do you think you can do this?

It's either that or say goodbye to the trees.