Another new bar - The Old Workshop, Neepsend

Is OW just keg? Think it is....?!

Beer Engine quality declining. I`m , again, not sure. :confused::help:

OW is purely just keg, no cask, they have also just started doing 1/3rds as well. Now have 9 keg lines.

I have been in Beer Engine recently and the quality certainly hasn't declined.

went in last night (Friday) (Old Workshop) and must say it was packed again, its a nice walk from Stew & Oyster and did notice some people were in both pubs, the area seems to be alive now.

Edited by SpiderPete

They don't have any cask at all, its all keg lines.

Oh right! Handbrake turn then and heading back to the Beer Engine!

Oh right! Handbrake turn then and heading back to the Beer Engine!

You drink and drive then?

It's very nicely done out and has a very nice feel to it. Bit pricey but great for an occasional visit. Neepsend coming up in the world eh? Who would have thought.

Much like the Gardeners Rest, it's an oasis of pleasantness in a less than pleasant area.

I've not noticed a drop in quality or choice at the Beer Engine, last two times I've been they had great cask and keg on.

I suppose that depends on what you enjoy drinking. For me, I like a strong (i.e. 6% or more) pale ale on cask. I'm not bothered about keg at all - I will drink it occasionally, but it's not what I prefer. They always used to have at least one strong beer on cask like this - but over recent months it's become very hit and miss. They even had 3 coffee flavoured beers taking up 3 cask pumps a few weeks ago and no pale ale over 4%! Sorry! That's really not good planning. And I've noticed they keep repeating the same beer over and over again very frequently, whereas before there was something different almost every time I went in.

I have noticed a change in this respect, probably because I've got a very narrow view on what I wish to drink. I'm not a bloke that wanders in to a bar and ponders "what shall I have?" I know exactly what type of beer I'm looking for and I never drink more than 2 pints of beer - so I want those two pints to be something I really fancy and enjoy.

There's maybe half a dozen pubs and bars in Sheffield that I can go to and expect to find the type of beer that I like. Beer Engine used to be the most reliable of these, but of lately it hasn't been. Which is why I think that something must have changed. As a footnote to this, a mate of mine is a publican and also drinks occasionally in the Beer Engine. He informed me that there has been a change down there over recent weeks. Something to do with a change of beer supplier or something and a new guy is doing the ordering. So I think this backs up what I suspected.

Edited by DerbyTup

Went here today for the first time. Very civilised and somewhere I could happily go for afternoon drinkies.

Had some nice food prepared by Tom, told to pay what we wanted.

Hadn't realised the Yellow Arch studio around the corner also had a bar.

Who'd have thought it, Neepsend...a destination!

There's maybe half a dozen pubs and bars in Sheffield that I can go to and expect to find the type of beer that I like. Beer Engine used to be the most reliable of these, but of lately it hasn't been. Which is why I think that something must have changed. As a footnote to this, a mate of mine is a publican and also drinks occasionally in the Beer Engine. He informed me that there has been a change down there over recent weeks. Something to do with a change of beer supplier or something and a new guy is doing the ordering. So I think this backs up what I suspected.

I don`t think that Lyess (sp?) is working there any more and he did the buying, I believe.