BBC'S ONE Show on Fargate:Should nurses etc, have the Right to strike?

Have nurses right to strike  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Have nurses right to strike

Glad to hear that Nurses would strike. They deserve every penny they get but are undervalued.

You are right Pat.

Todays nurses have taken on many jobs that were done by doctors years ago - extra training and responsibility to take blood, cannulate, examine patients, diagnose and prescribe means that their role has changed vastly but this has not been reflected in their wages. No change in their wages for at least 3 years means a wage reduction in real terms.

The NHS runs on the goodwill of nurses who always put in the extra mile and work over their shift time to ensure everything possible is done for their patients. The responsibility they accept is way over and beyond the financial reward and they are angry about this - quite rightly.

I truly believe that many nurses have reached the point where they will strike because enough is enough really.

Edited by Daven

If they don't want to do it for the money they're on they should go and get a job paying more somewhere else- it's not like we're forcing them to do it.

If they don't want to do it for the money they're on they should go and get a job paying more somewhere else- it's not like we're forcing them to do it.

Bless :)

They're not doing it for the money, they're doing it to give back to the community and to make a positive and valuable contribution to society.

You're not very bright, are you ?

Good evening. I kind of agree with you. Its a difficult one and I don't begrudge the emergency services a pay increase but I haven't had any pay rise in 8 years and I'm sure thousands of other professions are the same. Its not just nurses etc. That have effectively had a large pay cut over the years

Good evening. I kind of agree with you. Its a difficult one and I don't begrudge the emergency services a pay increase but I haven't had any pay rise in 8 years and I'm sure thousands of other professions are the same. Its not just nurses etc. That have effectively had a large pay cut over the years
go on strike then. Or are you ok with your lot ?

so what should we do then ?

Should low-paid workers continue to stab each other in the back, in a continual race to the bottom ?

Or should we expect more from our politicians and demand that BoJo the Clown and Sir Nige' put all the £350million a week they have saved from the EU budget into the NHS ?

So far, we've voted for a Strong and Stable tory government that's neither strong or stable.

Time for a change of tactics, I think

I can't just go on strike myself! We have been on strike before but nothing changes. No I'm not overly happy with my lot but I've been in the same job nearly 30 years and I'm not qualified to do much else tho I am looking. As I said I don't begrudge others trying to get a better deal but some people think its just nurses etc who are hard done to when actually many others are too

Some people in private sector haven't had a payrise for years, but no one seems bothered about that. It's always the public sector striking. In the private sector we have to make our own money to survive, as do the self employed, we have cutbacks on overtime, part time contracts, no payrises, if we fail we go bust, and staff lose their jobs. public sector is bankrolled by the taxpayer, so have a never ending supply of cash. I think our nurses do a great job, but so do people in private sector u can't have the big pensions and the payrises as was before, it's one or the other,

Some people in private sector haven't had a payrise for years, but no one seems bothered about that. It's always the public sector striking. In the private sector we have to make our own money to survive, as do the self employed, we have cutbacks on overtime, part time contracts, no payrises, if we fail we go bust, and staff lose their jobs. public sector is bankrolled by the taxpayer, so have a never ending supply of cash. I think our nurses do a great job, but so do people in private sector u can't have the big pensions and the payrises as was before, it's one or the other,

Exactly, it's not a case of 'bless, we're just doing our bit for the public' as if that's the case any amount of money is enough.

As you others have put it, a nurse either chooses to work this job as they believe this is worth doing or, more likely, because of the reward at the end of the day.

I have worked for both public and private sectors over the past twenty years, and being unhappy with my last (private sector) wage I chose another much harder (also private sector) job in order to give myself a better chance to make more money. This may take more time and effort on my part, but after seven years with no pay rise on my previous role, this is a good move in my view.

They either need to decide whether they are serving the public or working for a better pay packet because 'doctors get paid more', which seems to be what I see.

Btw, I believe the NHS is a great thing and should be supported, but the employees need to remember there are lots of people working hard shifts out there in other jobs who have also seen no pay rises in five, seven, or seven ten years. Sucks, don't it?

You are right Pat.

Todays nurses have taken on many jobs that were done by doctors years ago - extra training and responsibility to take blood, cannulate, examine patients, diagnose and prescribe means that their role has changed vastly but this has not been reflected in their wages. No change in their wages for at least 3 years means a wage reduction in real terms.

The NHS runs on the goodwill of nurses who always put in the extra mile and work over their shift time to ensure everything possible is done for their patients. The responsibility they accept is way over and beyond the financial reward and they are angry about this - quite rightly.

I truly believe that many nurses have reached the point where they will strike because enough is enough really.

Besides all the above that you mention , nursing is also now a degree course.

Absolutely not. All those who voted 'yes' would be singing a different tune if someone close to them was harmed, or died as the result of a strike. There are some things that are above money and caring for ill people is one of them. If someone is motivated by money then seek other employment which will meet that need.

Edited by Jomie

Absolutely not. All those who voted 'yes' would be singing a different tune if someone close to them was harmed, or died as the result of a strike.

I wonder what they'd feel if there weren't enough nurses to care for them in the first place? You have to attract talent, and a sub par pay package isn't the way to do it.

Everyone should have the right to withdraw their labor if they feel they're not being treated fairly, better that than walking away and leaving the profession that is already woefully understaffed.

There are some things that are above money and caring for ill people is one of them.

How can they care for ill people if they can't afford to look after themselves?

If someone is motivated by money then seek other employment which will meet that need.

Many are, hence our public services are in crisis.