Council tree felling...

The issue is that the protesters are drawing out the inevitable and at the same time costing the taxpayer an absolute fortune.

The protest was initially about the trees but now it appears to be shady dealing by Amey/council.

Which is it?

What is the reason for protecting the trees? Is it aesthetic or is it to save the environment? Or is it because you believe the trees have feelings?

There are many problems going on in the world and a few trees are at the very bottom of the pile.

Are you someone who can only be concerned about one issue at a time?

But the area had been legally turned in to an excluded area allowing removal by force if necessary.

So what the hell are you doing? Protecting trees or protesting against a multinational?

Now stop wasting my tax money and let them get on with it.

How about both...and more?

The tree protests have opened many eyes to some pretty major issues going on. They've also opened the eyea of national and international media to he breakdown in democracy- even the new york times has run a large piece.

Quite amazinf that it's those who have brought he problem to the eyes of the world yu accuse of wasring your tax money and not the council and amey.

Have a read of some of the articles. It might open your eyes too.

How about both...and more?

The tree protests have opened many eyes to some pretty major issues going on. They've also opened the eyea of national and international media to he breakdown in democracy- even the new york times has run a large piece.

Quite amazinf that it's those who have brought he problem to the eyes of the world yu accuse of wasring your tax money and not the council and amey.

Have a read of some of the articles. It might open your eyes too.

They have not really opened the eyes of the international media. It’s just a rehash of the stars piece.

And as for removing the trees to save Amey money on maintenance, don’t you think that ship has sailed.

It’s probably costing a lot more to remove the trees than the actual maintenance.

So as I say, stop wasting my tax money.

They have not really opened the eyes of the international media. It’s just a rehash of the stars piece.

And as for removing the trees to save Amey money on maintenance, don’t you think that ship has sailed.

It’s probably costing a lot more to remove the trees than the actual maintenance.

So as I say, stop wasting my tax money.

There's a lot more to it than saving money on maintanance- as many of the articles go into. I don't think you've read these articles, as nothing is a rehash of anything he sheffield star has ever written- most papers, including the new york times, have all sent their own reporters and conducted solid research and articles. That they've done that sgows on it's own the huge level of importance and interest in the gpings on in sheffield at the moment.

If you buy the line that Amey are doing this for thr best interests of sheffield then fine, but ibe aware you may have had the wool pulled over your eyes, and take a bit of time to read about the larger issue in a variety of well written and researched news outlets. And also consider why so many councils across the cointry are desperately trying to get out of contracts with Amey.

There's a lot more to it than saving money on maintanance- as many of the articles go into. I don't think you've read these articles, as nothing is a rehash of anything he sheffield star has ever written- most papers, including the new york times, have all sent their own reporters and conducted solid research and articles. That they've done that sgows on it's own the huge level of importance and interest in the gpings on in sheffield at the moment.

If you buy the line that Amey are doing this for thr best interests of sheffield then fine, but ibe aware you may have had the wool pulled over your eyes, and take a bit of time to read about the larger issue in a variety of well written and researched news outlets. And also consider why so many councils across the cointry are desperately trying to get out of contracts with Amey.

Pherhaps you could provide a link to that article because the NY Times artic.e I read contains nothing new that hasn’t already been reported in the star.

But that aside, the protest was initially about saving the trees. It was only later that Amey/council shenanigans came to light.

So let them finish removing the trees, let the police get back to doing what they should be doing and protest the Amey / council shenanigans in a way that is not costing the taxpayer.

So let them finish removing the trees

Why on earth would we do that? I don't want half of Sheffield's street trees replaced with saplings.

let the police get back to doing what they should be doing

I agree wholeheartedly. However, the protesters aren't stopping the police from getting on with what they should be doing. We all think that having 30+ police attending peaceful demonstrations is a ridiculous mis-allocation of resources. (And it's still the case that no protester has been charged with any offence, despite all the headllne arrests.)

and protest the Amey / council shenanigans in a way that is not costing the taxpayer.

The protests are mainly costing Amey money, not SCC. Admittedly SCC did blow about £70K on a misguided and failed private prosecution of a Green Party councillor, but that's their stupid fault.

But the area had been legally turned in to an excluded area allowing removal by force if necessary.

So what the hell are you doing? Protecting trees or protesting against a multinational?

Now stop wasting my tax money and let them get on with it.

It's a nice little trick isn't it? Turn a public space into an exclusion area in order to use the law on behalf of a tax avoiding multinational.

I am protesting on environmental grounds and against multinationals.

In what way is Amey a tax abusing multinational?

Amey plc is part of Grupo Ferrovial, the Spanish company that just happens to own more than twenty subsidiaries domiciled in tax havens. I wonder why?

Edited by Staunton

Are we absolutely sure that the policing costs are being met by Amey?

Are we absolutely sure that the policing costs are being met by Amey?

We don't know. Everyone concerned is being very cagey about releasing details.

We don't know. Everyone concerned is being very cagey about releasing details.

Says all we need to know really :) I suppose someone could ask Brain Lodge , everyone knows he is forthright and honest :)

Why on earth would we do that? I don't want half of Sheffield's street trees replaced with saplings.

A lot of people don’t care and don’t want the police wasting their time and our tax money policing the wants of a minority.

I agree wholeheartedly. However, the protesters aren't stopping the police from getting on with what they should be doing. We all think that having 30+ police attending peaceful demonstrations is a ridiculous mis-allocation of resources. (And it's still the case that no protester has been charged with any offence, despite all the headllne arrests.)

Peaceful protests! Have you seen the so called peaceful protesters on YouTube? It’s very embarrassing to watch.

The protests are mainly costing Amey money, not SCC. Admittedly SCC did blow about £70K on a misguided and failed private prosecution of a Green Party councillor, but that's their stupid fault.

So STAG do not have an issue with Amey or the council contract then.

So STAG do not have an issue with Amey or the council contract then.

????? Don't know what you read , but I understood that clearly