Do you believe in God?  

374 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in God?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Willing to be convinced

Snowbird

I'm still quite busy so haven't got time to go searching for links but there will be plenty of them (I'm sure) if you'd care to have a look.

From what I recall from memory somewhere in the region of 7-8000 years ago a region near the black sea suffered a catastrophic flood due to melt waters from the retreat of a glacial ice sheet.

This is believed to have formed the basis of the Biblical flood (which itself is believed to be taken from the Gilgamesh epic, which was based on earlier poems from Sumeria)

This wasn't the only 'flood' of it's kind, around 10,000 years ago the Great lakes (on the Canada/US border) were formed in a similar fashion but both of these events were separate, isolated floods, not a world wide deluge that killed everything.

Regarding your ascertion that evidence of Biblical cities were real, that may be so but that in itself doesn't prove that everything in the Bible is true.

The Qur'an, the Upanishads and the Tripitaka also containg places that existed but to suggest this in itself proves that all the stories contained in them were true is a little bit of a stretch.

To put a modern twist on it does that mean that Eastenders is real because it's based in a real City?

I have to go now, sorry for being brief but I'm in a rush.

Google thge black sea flood though, and Gilgamesh, you may be suprised at the similarities in it with the Biblical flood.

I am not surprised, Thats pretty much my point-- So many references to a flood would kind of support the theory that it actually happened and that ths bible story is based on fact. --

I have repeatedly said that I do not believe all the stories in the bible are true so your Eastenders reference is irrelevant! Why are you preaching to the converted?

I am not surprised, Thats pretty much my point-- So many references to a flood would kind of support the theory that it actually happened and that ths bible story is based on fact. --

I have repeatedly said that I do not believe all the stories in the bible are true so your Eastenders reference is irrelevant! Why are you preaching to the converted?

Have you read the Epic of Gilgamesh? The flood happened. It is documented. If you choose to believe that your god wiped out every living thing because he was having a hissy fit and then gave us rainbows to say sorry, then just keep away from me.

Have you read the Epic of Gilgamesh? The flood happened. It is documented. If you choose to believe that your god wiped out every living thing because he was having a hissy fit and then gave us rainbows to say sorry, then just keep away from me.

He didn't. He gave us rainbows to remind himself not to do it again, which seems to suggest that the Abrahamic God is prone to forgetfulness.

Sorry, I didn't realise that was your position, my apologies.

I disagree that it means that it lends credance to the Biblical account though.

Firstly it wasn't a world wide flood so the moral of the Bible story is somewhat irrelevant.

Secondly if you acknowledge it is based on an earlier story isn't it also true that other Biblical episodes could also be 'borrowed'? If this is the case how do you seperate what you are told in the Bible from what could easily be stylized or fictional stories?

How, in other words, does the believer distinguish between the fact and the fiction of the Bible?

I'm not taking the Mic btw, I'm genuinely interested.

Have you ever spoken to any Southern Irish Catholics [...] some of them seem to have more of a grudge against Henry the eighth

Why do they have a grudge against Henry VIII?

Sorry, I didn't realise that was your position, my apologies.

I disagree that it means that it lends credance to the Biblical account though.

Firstly it wasn't a world wide flood so the moral of the Bible story is somewhat irrelevant.

Secondly if you acknowledge it is based on an earlier story isn't it also true that other Biblical episodes could also be 'borrowed'? If this is the case how do you seperate what you are told in the Bible from what could easily be stylized or fictional stories?

How, in other words, does the believer distinguish between the fact and the fiction of the Bible?

I'm not taking the Mic btw, I'm genuinely interested.

Have a read of this, it explains everything and is easy to understand.

Noah’s Ark and the Global Flood

Contrary to popular belief, Noah’s Ark was not a little boat. Noah’s Ark was an enormous boat with plenty of room for all the animals..

Creationist believe that the fossil record is a record of a worldwide flood.

Floods do a lot of damage. A worldwide flood would bury all the animals not on the ark. At the time of the flood, the Bible says that the fountains of the deep burst open. This means that water and mud spewed forcefully out of the ground. Creationists believe that this action is what caused the mid-Atlantic ridge and the shapes of the continents. The water whooshing back and forth with the tides for a year would create layers of sediment of different densities.

What Did The Carnivores On The Ark Eat?

There were no carnivores on the ark. All living things were vegetarian until after the flood. After the initial creation God said this:

How Did All the Animals Fit on Noah’s Ark?

You might ask: “aren’t there too many kinds of animals for them to all fit on the ark?” No, there are not too really that many kinds of animals. God created the basic types of plants and animals, and then genetic variation went on from there since the flood.

I find incredible that someone could actually believe it. :D

I knew about the William of Orange period,and the battles, we are reminded of it when we see the Orange parades every year,which is a pity.

Have you ever spoken to any Southern Irish Catholics about their History,some of them seem to have more of a grudge against Henry the eighth and Cromwell then they do about William of Orange,for some reason.

Probably because they never went to school - Henry VIII was dead 50 years before Cromwell was born:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Blaming religion on Ireland is as complex as blaming Korea on atheism. Both ideas are far too shallow.

If you had said "blaming theism on Ireland is as complex as blaming Korea on atheism, both ideas are far too shallow" then I would agree.

Theism and atheism are both simple positions with respect to a single question, and both are not enough to motivate actions.

Religion is more than just theism though. It claims to know the mind of God, or some equivalent force, and what he/it wants us to do. It does motivate behaviour, and it does create sectarian divides.

There is no equivalent that arises from not believing in god.

Probably because they never went to school - Henry VIII was dead 50 years before Cromwell was born:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Who said anything about Cromwell being born before Henry? I don't get the joke or the point you're making?

Science wants to know how something came from nothing, the Bible has a answer and much more

Maybe to you the bible has an answer. but! it is not proof.

God, the bible and all other religions were made up so people could understand how our earth and universe was created because "back in the day" people did not have the science to proove it. im sorry if this has offended you but how could u really believe that a "god" created our whole universe earth and everything we know... although there are some things in my life i have seen that i cant explain, or herd of a person with a terminal illness find a cure.. i do not put that down to an act of god. it is just pure luck.

when i have asked people how can you proove that god exists they usually say something along the lines of " well you just have to have faith" faith is a believe not proof.

i could make up my own religion.. for example. a red cabbage created our whole world and our universe and somebody wrote a book about the red cabbage creating everything. people would ask.. well how do you know the red cabbage created us and everything... and i would say. well you have to have faith!!!!!!

my red cabbage religion is as valid as god and the bible. ( rant over, also i didnt want to offend anyone.. just makin a point) lol:)

Maybe to you the bible has an answer. but! it is not proof.

God, the bible and all other religions were made up so people could understand how our earth and universe was created because "back in the day" people did not have the science to proove it.

ahem, *cough cough*, not all other religions. Buddhism specifically tells us not to ask such questions about God and the origins of the universe because they are surplus to requirement. Maybe 'theistic religions' would have been a better choice of words ;)