Best Chippy's in the past in Sheffield

I remember the one at the top shops on Lowedges in the 1970's. Must admit I always thought the owner was a bloke. Can picture him now. Receding hair at the front. Used to go in there when the Grennell Mower called time.

Yeh, I remember that guy with the receeding hair who was in the chip shop.

I went out with a girl, Wendy, who worked in the Lowedges Chippy, I use to go in the Mower then have some fish and chips on the way back home. I use to go in and order fishcake and chips wrapped, she use to give me three lots of cod and chips, enough for me and my parents. Mum and dad use to get a bit fed up with me getting them out of bed at 11pm to have a fish and chip supper ... not very often they refused, ha, ha!! We lived in the maisonettes at the back of the chip shop, so they were still hot when I got home. Happy Days!!

Where I live chip shops are mainly a lunchtime affair, most shut at 8pm, even though I live by the coast in a holiday town. They all seem to want kebabs and the like when they have had a skinfull!

I couldn't imagine polishing off fish and chips at 11pm after a load of beer ...

funny how habits change ... probably for the better considering the health issues with eating a load of fried food just before going to bed?

Take a drive over to the chip inn at whitwell been over today from Beighton well worth the drive! proper thick fish cakes and nice white fish inside! also great chips and mushy pea! this is not your average chippy its really good

The owner is a member on here.

No contest. The best fish/chips was Bestall`s on Bolover Street. It was a husband and wife operation and they worked well as a team. He did the cooking and she did the serving. Every night there was a queue that went right out of the store.

With the building of the Arts Block at the university the place was demolished and I heard they moved to the Ecclesall area.

Anyhow the best chippy.

Does anyone recall a fish & chip shop on Hucklow Road

from over 60 years ago or am I imagining it? It was basically the front room of a terraced house and was a few doors away from my grandparents. Seem to recall it from about the time of Saturday nights at the Roxy picture house followed by a fish supper. Simple pleasures!

Forgot who owned it. The chippy was at the junction of Somerville terrace and whitehouse lane on the early 60's really enjoyed there scollops walking back from the speedway on a thursday

Forgot who owned it...
Listed in Kelly's as Arthur Rodgers.

In fact, the one I recall was in my memory actually on Wheldrake Rd, where my grandparents lived, off Hucklow Rd itself. Apologies but I am thinking back to perhaps mid 1950s and time plays tricks. As a ten year old boy, a frozen 'joystick' lolly at the cinema followed by the chips and fish seemed like the perfect treat!