Best Chippy's in the past in Sheffield

Rotherhammers LOL

I've had stuff from Rotherham chip shops and no complaints there. Having worked in the London area many times, their 'fisheries' included items like 'Savaloys' and 'Faggots' (the food kind), they weren't keen on mushy peas tho', perhaps a northern thing ?

I remember the one at the top shops on Lowedges in the 1970's. Must admit I always thought the owner was a bloke. Can picture him now. Receding hair at the front. Used to go in there when the Grennell Mower called time.

If I remember correctly, the Son of the woman who owned it took over when she retired? I think she was Mrs Harris or Harrison.

I worked at Parkhill 'the pavement' at a hairdressers, Fridays were fish and chip days, we went to Mrs Fox on South Lane (?) this was in the early 60,s

I've had stuff from Rotherham chip shops and no complaints there. Having worked in the London area many times, their 'fisheries' included items like 'Savaloys' and 'Faggots' (the food kind), they weren't keen on mushy peas tho', perhaps a northern thing ?

The reason I said Rotherhammers was in answer to the post about fish slices. I initially grew up in the Rotherham area, loosely( Catciffe and Brinsworth) and recall a few people referring to fish cakes as fish slices especially my grandmother. Mind you she was originally from Ilkeston in Derbyshire and maybe she picked that up there.

Concerning " faggots" people here in Canada are skeptical when I tell them that it is a kind of meatball in the UK lol

Edited by TORONTONY

Heard someone today talking about a fish slice as opposed to a fishcake. These people clearly need Sheffield education!!
The same applies to Lincolnshire folk. Proper fishcakes are hard to find in Lincolnshire but when you do find a chippy that sells them they call them fritters. What we call rissoles they call fishcakes. Funny lot in Lincolnshire... :P

The same applies to Lincolnshire folk. Proper fishcakes are hard to find in Lincolnshire but when you do find a chippy that sells them they call them fritters. What we call rissoles they call fishcakes. Funny lot in Lincolnshire... :P

Actually fishcakes is the most common term for what we called rissoles After all a rissole is really any form of minced meat or fish encrusted in bread crumbs and deep fried. If you buy them frozen. they are called fishcakes. I think this is why some people called our popular chippy fishcakes, fish slices, so as to distinguish the two. After all they are 2 slices of potato with a piece of fish in the middle, battered and deep fried. Fancy a couple right now, actually. :) Fat chance of that over here though.

Edited by TORONTONY

Actually fishcakes is the most common term for what we called rissoles ....
Not in Sheffield chippies it isn't. :)

Not in Sheffield chippies it isn't. :)

I'll go along with that one. In Sheffield a fishcake is two slices of potato with fish in the middle then dipped in batter and fried. A rissole is .....well a rissole of course. It's been like that since Sheffield had its first chippy I suggest.

Torries on Grimsthorpe Rd in the 60s. You could get good fish & chips from a lot of places back then because they were fried in dripping.

I'll go along with that one. In Sheffield a fishcake is two slices of potato with fish in the middle then dipped in batter and fried. A rissole is .....well a rissole of course. It's been like that since Sheffield had its first chippy I suggest.

Well as rissole is a French word,, may I suggest some Frenchman was the first to open a chip shop in Sheffield, as they are called fishcakes everywhere else . LOL:P

Take a drive over to the chip inn at whitwell been over today from Beighton well worth the drive! proper thick fish cakes and nice white fish inside! also great chips and mushy pea! this is not your average chippy its really good

Take a drive over to the chip inn at whitwell been over today from Beighton well worth the drive! proper thick fish cakes and nice white fish inside! also great chips and mushy pea! this is not your average chippy its really good

If anyone is ever in the Bury area,there is a Chippy in Ramsbottom called the Wayward Tyke.It's original owner was from Yorkshire and he taught the present owner how to cook fish,chips and mushy peas the proper way,he still uses Dripping and makes really good proper fish cakes.So if you are ever over there bear it in mind you won't be disappointed