What CPU Should I Get (if any)

MTheo

You certainly have plenty of RAM..

What benchmarking do you use? If its the windows one then the CPU I posted about comes out on mine at around 7.9 with 9.9 being the top score possible.

I've got 16gb DDR3 installed currently

---------- Post added 30-04-2017 at 15:12 ----------

although my graphics card isn't fantastic but I don't play many newer games.

Maybe i'll consider a new system further down the line and transfer over my RAM and HDD's (29tb and counting!) into some better system

Did you know that the graphics card can pull a lot of workload off the CPU now. Mines Ok by today's standards (GTX970) and when I convert video to x265, the CPU sits there twiddling it' thumbs. The 970 fans sing a bit but its very fast...but not great quality output at the moment but I'm sure in time that will improve.

Did you know that the graphics card can pull a lot of workload off the CPU now. Mines Ok by today's standards (GTX970) and when I convert video to x265, the CPU sits there twiddling it' thumbs. The 970 fans sing a bit but its very fast...but not great quality output at the moment but I'm sure in time that will improve.

I use nVEnc with my 1070 when encoding/converting, but my CPU peaks at 100% also....

the quality is fine, and it's VERY fast encoding though....

I use nVEnc with my 1070 when encoding/converting, but my CPU peaks at 100% also....

I'll do another one at some point this week and let you know the CPU... It's possible I was having a senior moment!

The speed is very fast. As for the quality, they don't look as sharp as the standard 2 pass I normally do. I plan on doing my Alien Collection BR to x265 that I've been putting off for a while now. I'll try it with the latest nVEnc and see how it goes.

Hi,

I would go for AMD (team AMD yay!)

I used to have PC with FX-8350 chip (eight cores, 4 physical + 4 logical). AMD was unbeatable in price/performance for long time. This eight core chip had great things to offer when tasks were depending on multithreaded performance, 8 core + 16mb turbo cache memory made AMD the winner. However in single threaded performance even i3 outperforms AMD AM3 chips. So If you play games, render or edit videos/photos, I would go for FX-6300/8300/8350. A real bang for buck!

Another upgrade that you may explore to improve speed to get SSD or SSHD as main drive for OS and other main programs.

Thanks

If you multi task to any serious degree go with the amd fx lineup namely a 6300 or higher.

In terms of multi tasking they are hard to beat in real world usage. I recently went to an i5 system and regret it based on this alone. Sure it gives you more performance (not as much as youd think) in application but the moment you start multi threading the work load your going to hit 100% real quick. Short of an i7 I would go team red.

Never had any issues with my workload before this and I am sure something like an 8350 would have you happy enough.

Hi Ghozer,

Just tested one and I was right...ish. The CPU wasn't twiddling it's thumbs but wasn't working hard either. As low as 15% and as high as 70%... Hovered round the 40% mark most of the time.

Hi Ghozer,

Just tested one and I was right...ish. The CPU wasn't twiddling it's thumbs but wasn't working hard either. As low as 15% and as high as 70%... Hovered round the 40% mark most of the time.

Odd, cause my cpu sits at 100% even with nVenc selected...

Odd, cause my cpu sits at 100% even with nVenc selected...

Not sure mate other than what you use to encode. Is the rest of your system on a par with mine? I know your GPU is better so it would be interesting to see why or where the CPU usage is coming from. Out of curiosity, what bitrate are you running on nvenc?

Not sure mate other than what you use to encode. Is the rest of your system on a par with mine? I know your GPU is better so it would be interesting to see why or where the CPU usage is coming from. Out of curiosity, what bitrate are you running on nvenc?

My system's a new one, built in Feb.. i7-7700k, 16GB DDR4-3200, and GTX1070

My system's a new one, built in Feb.. i7-7700k, 16GB DDR4-3200, and GTX1070

Well that covers that. All your system is newer than mine.

Software?

I was talking my nephew though some 265 encoding the other day and he mentioned high CPU. As much as I tried telling him NO, he insisted that Handbrake was the best. Kids eh!! :hihi:

Well that covers that. All your system is newer than mine.

Software?

I was talking my nephew though some 265 encoding the other day and he mentioned high CPU. As much as I tried telling him NO, he insisted that Handbrake was the best. Kids eh!! :hihi:

Handbreak was compromised recently, and spyware/malware put with one of the downloads on one of their servers... - wasn't found for 5 days...