Best Chippy's in the past in Sheffield

Anyone remember the one at the top of the old Corporation Street at the west bar roundabout ... that was awesome!!

The one on the balcony overlooking the bus station. Can't recall it's name.

In the mid 70's that was the only one I knew that opened on Sunday nights. I too can't remember the name.[color="Silv

---------- Post added 14-05-2017 at 18:31 ----------

[/color]

re recent thread - Best Chippy in Sheffield..someone responded about one at the bottom of Dykes Hall Road. Wasn`t there another, half way down/up opposite the Castle/Sammy Twelves shop??

That might have been the one I used to climb over our back wall to get to when I lived on Minto Road, around 1976/77 . The one I mean served massive pieces of haddock:thumbsup: I lived at 21 Minto for a couple of years, at that time. The direction was uphill after I jumped the wall.

---------- Post added 14-05-2017 at 18:33 ----------

Edited by TORONTONY

In the mid 70's that was the only one I knew that opened on Sunday nights. I too can't remember the name.[color="Silv

---------- Post added 14-05-2017 at 18:31 ----------

[/color]

That might have been the one I used to climb over our back wall to get to when I lived on Minto Road, around 1976/77 . The one I mean served massive pieces of haddock:thumbsup: I lived at 21 Minto for a couple of years, at that time. The direction was uphill after I jumped the wall.

---------- Post added 14-05-2017 at 18:33 ----------

There used to be an absurd local bye- law that Fish and chip shops (and fishmongers too) could not sell fish on Sundays. The only way to have it-outside the home- was in a sit down restaurant. I think there was a rule of equal absurdity about washing a car in the street on Sunday.

---------- Post added 14-05-2017 at 23:18 ----------

As to Best Chippy's of the Past, does anyone have a 'worst' one ? Mine was the one that used to be in the Wicker near Stanley Street. Everything, anemic chips ,fish, pies etc all frozen stuff and not much warmer when they came out ! And it even lasted. heaven knows how, from about 1966 till ?

Edited by stpetre
Add

There used to be an absurd local bye- law that Fish and chip shops (and fishmongers too) could not sell fish on Sundays. The only way to have it-outside the home- was in a sit down restaurant. I think there was a rule of equal absurdity about washing a car in the street on Sunday.

---------- Post added 14-05-2017 at 23:18 ----------

As to Best Chippy's of the Past, does anyone have a 'worst' one ? Mine was the one that used to be in the Wicker near Stanley Street. Everything, anemic chips ,fish, pies etc all frozen stuff and not much warmer when they came out ! And it even lasted. heaven knows how, from about 1966 till ?

About the only thing you could do on a Sunday in the old days was go to the pub and even that was cut back one and a half hours at both sessions. I can't recall any real bad chip shops. We had two in Catcliffe where I lived until was 12 . I remember one had the better chips and the other one had the better batter, but neither one was that bad.

Edited by TORONTONY

I think the one at Pond Street was called The Friary.

One of the best chippys was Buxtons on Alnwick Road at Intake. One of the cheapest as well.

I think the one at Pond Street was called The Friary.

One of the best chippys was Buxtons on Alnwick Road at Intake. One of the cheapest as well.

Friary sounds about right, cheers.

I have vague recollections as a kid in the 70's of a chip shop somewhere off Hollinsend Rd, perhaps on Alnwick Rd in Gleadless. Even as a kid I was aware that it sold cheaply priced chips.

I have vague recollections as a kid in the 70's of a chip shop somewhere off Hollinsend Rd, perhaps on Alnwick Rd in Gleadless. Even as a kid I was aware that it sold cheaply priced chips.

There was one on Stanhope Road just off Hollinsend Road. Stanhope Fisheries?

Our favourite chippy was the Sunbeam on Barnsley Road..... Night out in the Sportsman, Limes Club or the Cannon Hall then a scrumptious 'fish supper' to round the night off.

The chippy that used to be up Watery Lane, Portmahon ,we used to call it the greasy chippy because they were but they tasted so good.

Then we have Becketts on Meadow Street another favourite where we called on our way home from the Roscoe.

The one on Alnwick Road, Intake was great. Don't remember the name of it, it closed in the early 90's.

Ray,s fisheries on mansfield rd intake which later became stan's.

Only lived 5 doors away.

'