An old advert on Fargate - Revealed

Now that the insides of the of that building on Fargate have been demolished, they've revealed an old advert painted onto the wall of the Yorkshire Bank Building.

Its rather faded, and I can't make it out. Its seems to say:

_ _ E M P E R N M _ _ _ _ _

_ _ S T A U _ _ _

S H E F F I E L D

I could be wrong about the number of letters.

Can anyone read what it says? I took a photo:

http://www.g7smy.myby.co.uk/oldadvert.jpg (3.2Mb)

Its as it came out of the camera.

K.

I put it in Paintshop Pro and turned down the brightness, and the top line reads TEMPERANCE BAR and the line below I'm sure is RESTAURANT. This is the back wall of the building on Surrey Street, which belongs or belonged to the Methodist Church, and contained among other things Tuckwoods restaurant, which for many years could not serve alcohol because the church did not allow it. So I think you must have an old advert for Tuckwoods.

The 1927 to 1940 directory list THE ALBANY TEMPERANCE HOTEL, ONLY AS THE ALBANY HOTEL. BY 1951.;)

Hi Hutch

I've had another look,and there's room for 'Hotel'rather than 'Bar', and it looks more like it and makes more sense, so I'll go with the Albany too.

SOME VERY GOOD PICS ON[ PICTURE SHEFFIELD ] UNDER ALBANY HOTEL. THAT SIGN WRITING MUST BE FROM AROUND 1890'S ?

Thanks for the replies, all is now clear.

Spook, in the photo below, Yorkshire bank is straight ahead, with the curved front, behind the pointy thing. Its the building to the left thats been hollowed out.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s15657

K.

Originally posted by algy

Hi Hutch

I've had another look,and there's room for 'Hotel'rather than 'Bar', and it looks more like it and makes more sense, so I'll go with the Albany too.

It looks more like "HOSTAL" to me

There's old adverts like this in a lot of places. The end of the terrace between Neill Road and Eastwood Road off Ecclesall Road is a case in point.

The gable end of the White Lion at Heely it another you can see if you're coming in from the south if I remember rightly.