Who's at fault here in this car crash

Who was at fault for this crash?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Who was at fault for this crash?

• White car
    • Black car
    • Other answer

To be fair, the white car should not really be in the left lane to exit from the second exit no matter what the lane markings say. Basic common sense.

I drive round there a lot and the left lane used to be left turn only. Nobody used to take any notice and there has always been problems there. I can't remember when the marking changed to say left lane could go left or straight on. They have been like this for quite some years though.

If you were going on you wouldn't have expected the white car to keep so far to the left, almost starting to turn in the left lane on the viaduct. I know you have to have your wits about you when in that lane going either left or straight on.

Its much better now. It was awful before the traffic lights were put in. I had an 850 mini when I started driving in 1983. It was much harder to pull out there in rush hour traffic before there were traffic lights.

Edit - can anyone see the traffic lights on that clip? I can't see them. It looks like the black car was already on the roundabout so one of them must be in the wrong going through on red or both on amber.

Edited by Chez2

I edited my post for clarity, so not sure at what point you quote it...

I was referring on the markings on the roundabout itself, which is the ones most people seem to be taking issue with and why people are suggesting that the white car should have turned onto the viaduct. I will concede that you have a 50/50 on Bawtry road until 50 yards before the entrance to the roundabout.

It doesn't really affect the incident in question, but even so, if you get the 50/50 wrong you are in the inside lane and have the option of going all the way around the roundabout or following normal safety process for changing lane on the roundabout. Yes, it's poor but it shouldn't be an accident causer.

Yes I know. My main issue is with the approach which causes confusion. The markings on the road aren't good though. As I said in an earlier post, they've corrected that confusing lane approach on the other side. It just needs this side sorting. There should be a gantry in the early 2 lane part to give people time to get into the correct lane.

(saying that, if I was taking M1N, I would never get in the lane that the black one was, and another reason why clear their fault)

*ash* have you tried getting on and off at all the different exits and that roundabout. I have as a driver over the last thirty four years. There was nothing wrong with the lane the driver took off the roundabout to go on the viaduct. You can enter the viaduct on both lanes.

The traffic lights should have stopped them being able to hit each other.

If you want a challenge, try the Parson Cross Asda roundabout.

Which road is straight on? Both lanes say you can go straight on but both take you to a different exit.

https://goo.gl/maps/Znq2hX6BDLP2

Edited by spikeachu

*ash* have you tried getting on and off at all the different exits and that roundabout. I have as a driver over the last thirty four years. There was nothing wrong with the lane the driver took off the roundabout to go on the viaduct. You can enter the viaduct on both lanes.

The traffic lights should have stopped them being able to hit each other.

The traffic lights weren't involved in this case as they both entered from the same approach.

If you've been driving on that for 34 years then you will no doubt have seen the changes on the approach from Templebro has changed heading to Sheffield?

-

Why do you think they changed that?

That's a rhetorical question btw Chez, so I'll save you the time posting :hihi:, it was because it was poorly designed, and eventually someone saw it.

-

I pointed out faults in Meadowhead and Moore Street too in here and both have been changed since - though the Meadowhead problem I could have sorted with a pot of paint rather than spending 6 million pounds moving the whole thing 8 feet to the left, and leaving it not much better now :hihi:

This either leads me to believe that the council read this, or that I have an unusual infatuation with roundabout markings! :D

If you want a challenge, try the Parson Cross Asda roundabout.

Which road is straight on? Both lanes say you can go straight on but both take you to a different exit.

https://goo.gl/maps/Znq2hX6BDLP2

Yes, good example of someone who should be fired for drawing that up. The only reason this isn't dangerous is because it's only small and everyone knows the lanes markings are rubbish. I use this one several times a day as it's in my work area and tend to protect myself and my car by straddling these lanes all the way around especially if going to Asda from Halifax Road.

(edit the new Furnival Gate roundabout was probably designed by the same person as the Asda one, as they have the same issue)

Edited by *_ash_*

It`s easy ... car at fault: white car

I don't drive but I can clearly see that the black car is in the lane which says straight ahead and the white car is in the lane which says left or straight ahead,therefore the black car was at fault it should have been in the left hand lane to turn left

It`s easy ... car at fault: white car

It can't be that easy, you got it wrong.

Once the black car is on the roundabout then the lane separation markings do suggest that he can go left under the viaduct. But if he had paid attention to the lane markings on his approach to the roundabout he would know that he can't turn left at all.

No, the white car didn't change lanes at all, he was in the correct lane for going straight on.

Again it is worrying that half of the voters on this thread think the white car was at fault????

There are lots of roundabouts that have inadequate lane markings once you are on the roundabout, that contradict the signage on the road on the approach. The old BnQ roundabout in Rotherham is oe example, and so is Park Sq roundabout when joining from Victoria Quays.

I don't know who is responsible for designing the lane markings on Sheffield roundabouts but I think they probably need retraining. Sheffield is far far worse for confusing lane markings than anywhere else I've driven.

I don't know who is responsible for designing the lane markings on Sheffield roundabouts but I think they probably need retraining. Sheffield is far far worse for confusing lane markings than anywhere else I've driven.

I'd agree with that. I could always manage Leeds ok, and even London bar the odd roundabout is at least clearly lmarked out but chaotic. Most places have the odd doozy but Sheffield has lots of them.

If the white car is in the right then that junction is dangerously badly designed.

The black car is in the wrong lane but seems to realize and turns quite slowly. Where the white cars is partly to blame is the fact it comes from well behind to run into the side of the black car. The white car had the opportunity to see what was happening and take avoiding action.

60% black car 40% white car.