Radio Two Sounds of the Sixties

Top Saturday morning radio 2 program sounds of the sixties has a stand in presenter, Sir Tim Rice, the long standing Brian Matthew is unfortunately off due to illness ,it would be interesting to hear the views of fellow listeners on Sir Tims efforts as a stand in.

Nobody is going to be as good as Brian Matthew, I still listen but look forward to his return.

I haven't yet heard Rice present the show (but will make the effort to do so now I've been alerted). Brian Matthew has always been a very cuddly and reliable presenter. There's nothing wrong with that, but SOTS has always seemed to me to be very chart-orientated and not adequately reflective of the broader spectrum of music produced at the time. I was quite an avid listener when Johnnie Walker (an excellent DJ) hosted the show, late 2006/early 2007.

I haven't yet heard Rice present the show (but will make the effort to do so now I've been alerted). Brian Matthew has always been a very cuddly and reliable presenter. There's nothing wrong with that, but SOTS has always seemed to me to be very chart-orientated and not adequately reflective of the broader spectrum of music produced at the time. I was quite an avid listener when Johnnie Walker (an excellent DJ) hosted the show, late 2006/early 2007.

The mix between chart and non chart varies along with the quality, some rare songs are just plain rubbish. The content is picked by Phil the collector.

... The content is picked by Phil the collector.

Yes. Phil "the Collector" Swern, who took over from the late Roger "the Vocalist" Bowman.

Nobody is going to be as good as Brian Matthew, I still listen but look forward to his return.

Brian Matthew, is he still at it, how old is now? Remember him mainly from the TV show Thank Your Lucky Stars in the 60's

Yes. Phil "the Collector" Swern, who took over from the late Roger "the Vocalist" Bowman.

was he in the archers:hihi:

Brian Matthew, is he still at it, how old is now? Remember him mainly from the TV show Thank Your Lucky Stars in the 60's

He'll be 89 in September!

I know I sound like an old git - and please be assured I'm definitely not - but that Tim Rice doesn't cut it the same as Brian Matthew. He sounds as though he is just reading from a script. Brian sounds as though it's just coming out of his head naturally .

was he in the archers:hihi:

Haha! There was a 60s band – Arrow and the Archers – but he wasn't a member of that either.

Brian Matthew is very knowledgeable on the subject of the program. Let's hope he is able to return soon.

He'll be 89 in September!

Still a bit younger than Pete Murray then , I see,.. I heard his voice ( Pete) on some syndicated radio show recently discussing and playing music from the 60's. Don't know how old the show was though. He will be 92 next September.

---------- Post added 10-01-2017 at 15:27 ----------

Top Saturday morning radio 2 program sounds of the sixties has a stand in presenter, Sir Tim Rice, the long standing Brian Matthew is unfortunately off due to illness ,it would be interesting to hear the views of fellow listeners on Sir Tims efforts as a stand in.

Sir Tim eh? I assume Andrew Lloyd Webber is also a Sir then. Mind you, who isn't a Sir these days ? lol :roll:

He's got to be better than creepy Paul Gambo doing Pick Of The Pops.