View Single Post
14-03-2016, 10:33   #13
Cyclone

Total Posts: 70,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtkate View Post
If you read the full interview it's very obvious that's not her point at all. She's saying that we have created a culture that encourages problems like anorexia as a society, not blaming individuals for it. Doesn't really come across in the selected BBC quotes.
Fair enough.
Perhaps though these pressures always exist, it's just that our society causes them to be expressed differently and we've actually gone as far as noticing and calling it a health issue?
Quote:

Hence why I asked were things like physical self-harm and so on a similar outlet for re-taking control? Perhaps we need to look at all self-harming (of which anorexia and bulimia must be?) as a wider picture. As you say if it's about taking control then that's a good reason why we don't see eating disorders in poorer countries, but I would suggest if we looked deeper there would be a whole range of self-harm going on.
Yes, probably, although the pressure to be thin might not exist, I'm sure other pressures exist (like worrying about whether you can get enough food in the first place to stay alive) and these will result in other pathological behaviours as outlets.

---------- Post added 14-03-2016 at 10:34 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamston View Post
The lady's comments make sense. The girls and woman affected live in Countries where there is no shotage of food and problems seem to be self inflicted due to looking too much in the mirror and reading too many fashion trends. My prescription is to give these silly girls and women a job on a production line in a factory or vegetable picking on a farm.
And that's why you don't work in mental health.
_______
Ask yourself, what would Chuck Norris do?
Youtube videos, snowboarding, climbing, bad drivers.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmn...qpXEZMGnJHf3Wg