Tramlines Festival - Hillsborough Park

So, people SERIOUSLY want Tramlines not to happen?!

Sheffield needs reasons for people to visit it- there are barely any concerts any more in the City, and this event provides a good weekend and brings in visitors/money. I honestly think a lot of people would like to see Sheffield culturally dead- no music, no entertainment, no visitors.

Look at what other cities offer- Sheffield desperately needs events like this. Whether it may not be your type of event or not, things like this are vital for a city. A weekend of slight distruption to a park is a small price to pay!

Its the typical Nimbys. I bet alot of people in Hillsborough go to Tramlines but don't want it near their home.

It's not their park. The park belongs to everyone in Sheffield.

Its the typical Nimbys. I bet alot of people in Hillsborough go to Tramlines but don't want it near their home.

Absolutely. Couldn't agree more.

Guest makapaka

Course it is.

Just moaning about nothing.

"The park is overused!!""

"There'll be nowhere to park!!"

- never heard such rubbish.

There is an article in The Star this morning...

Traffic nightmare concerns over plans to relocate Sheffield's Tramlines Festival

http://www.thestar.co.uk/business/traffic-nightmare-concerns-over-plans-to-relocate-sheffield-s-tramlines-festival-1-8758961

Obviously lifted from their online sources as I got a mention by name in the article.

Hopefully they'll pick up on this SF thread, as the main opposer seems at the moment to be the organiser for another Sheffield festival, possibly grinding his axe at the council.

---------- Post added 18-09-2017 at 13:22 ----------

It's my local park, two minute walk from the house and pretty much anyone else capable of getting there.

Edited by steve68

Course it is.

Just moaning about nothing.

"The park is overused!!""

"There'll be nowhere to park!!"

- never heard such rubbish.

Again, very true!

People are treating it as if it's a permanent thing too- it's 3 days! Close the curtains for a bit and it will go away!

The only change is that you may need to take your dog to empty it's bowels (a part of usage of parks I find infinitely more disagreeable than any live event could ever be) somewhere else for a couple of days!

Well planning application notices up & it's for 3 years. There was no mention of 3 years at the meeting. I would have thought that planning should only allow it one year. Then after the event evaluate the public opinion of local residents.

Edited by chris101
Spelling

I live in Hillsborough right by the park. All this fuss is pathetic. I think its great that Tramlines will be at Hillsborough Park. Hillsborough is the perfect location with the transport infrastructure in place to make the event a success. It will also bring much needed income to the local shops, pubs and eateries, how can that be a bad thing?! People should be used to crowds and noise with the football being every other weekend and on odd Tuesdays and Wednesdays throughout the football season. Then there are the various fairs and circus type events that are held there.The traffic and parking wont be as bad as the football for Tramlines because most people wont drive there. People complaining need to get a grip and find something productive to do with their time.

Edited by EFCMatt
typo

I live in Hillsborough right by the park. All this fuss is pathetic. I think its great that Tramlines will be at Hillsborough Park. Hillsborough is the perfect location with the transport infrastructure in place to make the event a success. It will also bring much needed income to the local shops, pubs and eateries, how can that be a bad thing?! People should be used to crowds and noise with the football being every other weekend and on odd Tuesdays and Wednesdays throughout the football season. Then there are the various fairs and circus type events that are held there.The traffic and parking wont be as bad as the football for Tramlines because most people wont drive there. People complaining need to get a grip and find something productive to do with their time.

Absolutely. There's so little in the way of arts and culture that occurs in Shefffield now, we need Tramlines more than ever. Whether people like the event or not, it's impossible to deny that it brings visitors to Sheffield- something that is increasingly rare these days.

Guest makapaka
Well planning application notices up & it's for 3 years. There was no mention of 3 years at the meeting. I would have thought that planning should only allow it one year. Then after the event evaluate the public opinion of local residents.

There’s no reason to take the views of local residents - it’s for 3 days a year and a good proportion of them will be delighted it’s on their doorstep.

The other lot who don’t like tramlines will have 3 days where there’s a few more people knocking about than usual - tough - just get on with it and stop putting barriers in the way of an event enjoyed by 1000’s

All I'm seeing in this thread is locals raising valid points about the amount of disruption the festival will cause....and one or two keyboard warriors calling them nimbies; an insult last uttered by sadistic PE teachers from the 80s.

If you've set foot in Ponderosa during the festival, you'll appreciate that doubling the main stage capacity as the organisers intend to do will be absolute mayhem in such a residential area. Constant noise pollution for three days straight. Litter and damage to the park. The surrounding streets and the park itself will be unusable by anyone not wanting to attend (some of us don't wish to pay £60 to see bands nobody's heard from since Popworld was still on the air). It will be inescapable. A football match is self-contained and over in 2 hours, this will spill into the streets for 3 days straight. Yes, let's 'shut the curtains' as someone here suggested and see how far that gets you.

The arguments about 'a few nimby locals' ruining it for everyone else are ridiculous. No one is suggesting we cancel your precious festival, but when you decide to stick an event that big in an area as residential as Hillsborough, you can expect a backlash from the people that will be most affected by it.

That feels like the most common sense point that's ever had to have been made on this forum. Jesus wept :loopy:

it will be a bigger disaster than titanic ,the whole event is supposed to be in town,the park is over used with 3 funfairs,swfcs huge event,and the circus x 2 and there are other events,it should be at the worst a 1 year trial,graves park would be better if they are so insistant it cant be in the city centre.

Guest makapaka
All I'm seeing in this thread is locals raising valid points about the amount of disruption the festival will cause....and one or two keyboard warriors calling them nimbies; an insult last uttered by sadistic PE teachers from the 80s.

If you've set foot in Ponderosa during the festival, you'll appreciate that doubling the main stage capacity as the organisers intend to do will be absolute mayhem in such a residential area. Constant noise pollution for three days straight. Litter and damage to the park. The surrounding streets and the park itself will be unusable by anyone not wanting to attend (some of us don't wish to pay £60 to see bands nobody's heard from since Popworld was still on the air). It will be inescapable. A football match is self-contained and over in 2 hours, this will spill into the streets for 3 days straight. Yes, let's 'shut the curtains' as someone here suggested and see how far that gets you.

The arguments about 'a few nimby locals' ruining it for everyone else are ridiculous. No one is suggesting we cancel your precious festival, but when you decide to stick an event that big in an area as residential as Hillsborough, you can expect a backlash from the people that will be most affected by it.

That feels like the most common sense point that's ever had to have been made on this forum. Jesus wept :loopy:

Ok - thanks for the backlash - can everyone else get on with looking forward to it now?