The Sheffield gay scene part 2

Only a few months away, Sheffield Pride 2010 is shaping up nicely. This 2010 marks 40 years since the first ever gay pride marches took place in USA to celebrate the anniversary of the Stonewall riots. With this in mind, Sheffield Pride 2010 will be dedicated to ‘Pride over the ages’. The fabulous main stage will contain music and acts from across the last 40 years along with speeches and testimonials from individuals who have lived through the last 4 decades, celebrating the rights and freedoms we experience today due to the dedication and sacrifices that were made in the past.

‘We are very lucky in many ways to be as open as we are about our sexualities in today’s society. It’s a testament to all those individuals who worked hard at very difficult times throughout history to achieve their dream of equality. This year at Pride we would like to celebrate LGBT life everywhere and particularly give our thanks those unsung heroes, without whom life would be very different for us today.’

Sheffield Pride is once again working alongside national and local businesses and organisations in order to create a Pride event to rival all previous ones. In particular, Sheffield’s gay and gay friendly venues are running fundraising events in the run up to Sheffield Pride that’s taking place on Saturday 26th June 2010). More information can be found at http://www.sheffieldpride.org.uk

Sheffield Pride is excited to confirm details of our pre-pride event taking place in Sheffield City Centre on Saturday 29th May 2010, 11-4pm. Street karaoke will encourage the people of Sheffield to ‘Sing with Pride’ and will showcase the camp karaoke hits of the last 40 years. Visitors will receive a free goodie bag courtesy of Sheffield Pride 2010. The aim is to promote our event and give the citizens of Sheffield a taste of Pride in the hope they will visit us on the big day itself.

‘Karaoke is a fun and enjoyable way of highlighting Sheffield Pride and is important for letting everybody in Sheffield know about the event. Pride events have always been about visibility and so we want as many people from throughout Sheffield to notice us, come along, join in and ‘sing with Pride’ commented David Baker, PR and Communications Officer for Sheffield Pride

Also in the near future - The end of May will see the raising of a banner on Sheffield Town Hall celebrating lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered life in Sheffield with the slogan ‘Sheffield Supports Pride’. It will be the first time ever in Sheffield’s history.

Sheffield Pride is also joining up with Sheffield Showcase to create a visually exciting window display in Sheffield City Centre promoting the event and the organisations who support it.

‘The publicity organised to create awareness of Sheffield Pride 2010 has gone into over-drive. We haven’t got the budget to advertise everywhere but we do have the imagination to create interesting events and increase the visibility that was missing in previous years.’

Only a few months away, Sheffield Pride 2010 is shaping up nicely.

If you're doing a march or similar, can I ask that you wave some union flags while you do it?

It is our national flag, but it has started to be seen as a symbol of the BNP.

I think we should take it back.

If you're doing a march or similar, can I ask that you wave some union flags while you do it?

It is our national flag, but it has started to be seen as a symbol of the BNP.

I think we should take it back.

Why not come and wave one yourself?

anyone off to gran canaria this week for pride:|

I think Sheffield's pride event is silly. Nobody elsewhere even cares about Sheffield Pride and neither do the gays of Sheffield, it's a sad state of affairs.

I may go Manchester & London Pride this year, but won't be doing Sheffield pride that is for sure.

I think Sheffield's pride event is silly. Nobody elsewhere even cares about Sheffield Pride and neither do the gays of Sheffield, it's a sad state of affairs.

I may go Manchester & London Pride this year, but won't be doing Sheffield pride that is for sure.

Your being a bit hash aaron1867 I know Sheffield gay scene and the gay pride is not one to jump and shout about but if the gay community in Sheffield don't support theses venues and it fails we cant grumble and complain about it. Im sure the organiser of the gay pride work very hard and there is lot things that happen behind the scenes we don't hear about so give it a chance fella.

That's terribly insensitive; EVERY Gay pride frequently has to struggle to gain acceptance, funding, and support from all sections of the community, and in a city like Sheffield which doesent have an identifiable 'Gay village' it can be harder still to unite the Gay community and you have to battle against a fair amount of petty rivalry and back-biting between venues and people.

I think that Sheffield Pride this year has so far coped magnificently against the odds (Dont forget that funding is even tighter because of the recession), and anyone who was in town this afternoon may have seen the Sheffield Pride promotional event in front of City Hall, which in spite of the horrible weather, had three stalls and live entertainment courtesy of a karaoke and two of us drag queens!

Well done to all so far, and here's to a genuinely inclusive LGBT Pride in every city!

I don't mean to damage the thread but I'm soo against Lions Lair after the racist incidents that have taken place. I wish there were more gay clubs in Sheffield but I wouldn't mind if Lions Lair was closed down. I wouldn't go there even if someone paid me, they take racism to an extreme level and I wouldn't want to give them business to carry on.

I think the 5500 that attended last year would disagree with what you have said. Everyone's entitled to their opinion but please do think about all the hard work 10 people put into this (in their own time) to bring this event to the city.

You go to Manchester and London pride cause Sheffield doesnt want negative silly people like you.

As for your comment "and neither do the gays of Sheffield", how many people did you ask ?, 2, 3 or 4 :P

I know people are entitled to thie opinion but yours has to be the silliest gay post of the year,. :)

Just a real quickie: CLIMAX is on TONIGHT, 'Back To School' (??!!) Theme!

Don't say I didnt warn you!!!

Tickets on door £5.

I went to the gay pride and I must admit I was disappointed there was not much happening. The main stage was reduced in size from last yr and the acts were not up to much. The music tent wasn’t exactly rocking! lol however there seem to be more people there this yr and the weather was good.