Direct Payments

I've just received my first direct payment for care and it's a different amount to what I was expecting.

My letter saying it has been set up says I will get £60 a week paid into a dedicated account, 4 weeks in advance. This was what I was expecting.

It said:

We pay: £60

Full cost of care: £60

You pay:

Which I thought sounded quite straightforward - it doesn't have an amount for me because I continue paying my bill for my contribution from my "real" current account.

However I have now had *£137.14* deposited into my dedicated account. I received a statement today saying it had gone in, but no advice about how long it covers, or why it isn't a multiple of £60. It works out at £8.57 an hour which is the living wage, which can't be right as it's an agency and also the letter said £60 (£15 an hour, also on my signed-off budget).

My care starts tomorrow and it has been a loooooong and stressful process getting it sorted and now I'm stressing about paying for it. Can anyone else who has had direct payments shed any light on this please?

Edited by knope2020

Hi

It may be that the first payment isn't for a full month. It will depend what day they intend to pay you in future. I manage DP for my daughter and they NEVER tell you what a payment represents. Drives me mad and I've told them several times it would help if they did but no joy. And everything takes forever to sort out but you'll get there.

You could just wait and see if the next payment is what you expect but personally I'd contact them and ask. I think you'd need to ring the Direct Payments Team on 0114 2735985.

Good luck and try not to worry I'm sure you'll be able to sort it.

x

Hi :) I thought maybe it was a part payment; but the numbers don't add up for that because it would need to be a multiple of £60. :( A puzzle and a stress. Hopefully they get back to me quickly tomorrow and just make it what the documents said it would be!

Just done a quick calculation and £137.14 would represent 16 days care - 4 weeks will be £240 so 16 days would be 16/28 x 240 which is near enough 137.14

That suggests your next payment will be around the end of April for the next 4 weeks.

I realise it might not make sense to get payments in days but that's how they work.

x

As pasquali says, they work in days.

My daughters care providers invoice me every calendar month, the direct payments go in every 28 days, so sometimes the providers have to wait for payment.

Thanks so much Pasquali, you kept me from panicking and you were right! They should make this much plainer, and put on the deposit info what dates it applies to. I wonder how often the office has to explain it!

You're welcome :)

Glad it all worked out x

Hi,

Just reading through some of the comments, and glad to hear you've resolved this issue. Just wanted to make you aware that on Friday 1st June we're holding an event to launch our new direct payment support service.

It's going to be held at Union St Cafe (18-20 Union St, Sheffield S1 2JR

) and is running between 11:30 - 13:30, so if you or anyone else wants to pop in anytime between then for some free coffee, cake, a chat to a member of our team and look at the service you are very welcome. :)

Many thanks!

Hi,

Just reading through some of the comments, and glad to hear you've resolved this issue. Just wanted to make you aware that on Friday 1st June we're holding an event to launch our new direct payment support service.

It's going to be held at Union St Cafe (18-20 Union St, Sheffield S1 2JR

) and is running between 11:30 - 13:30, so if you or anyone else wants to pop in anytime between then for some free coffee, cake, a chat to a member of our team and look at the service you are very welcome. :)

Many thanks!

Could you tell me a bit more about this service? Which organisation is running it, and what will it offer?

Thank you!

Hi Bob, the service is ran by Mirai Management.

"With Mirai's Direct Payment Partner you can direct your own support whilst having the help and guidance you need every step of the way. We offer 3 different tiers of support to meet your exact care needs, these include:

Online guides

Downloadable templates

Tailored home visits

Training videos

Signposting to services

Online community forums

Online newsletters

Email Support

Phone Support

We have created a simple and user-friendly online system and build a team around your needs that puts you in the driving seat of your care."

If you visit Mirai Managements website and click through to "Direct Payment Partner" it breaks down the service comprehensively.

Let me know if you need anything else. :)

Hi Bob, the service is ran by Mirai Management.

"With Mirai's Direct Payment Partner you can direct your own support whilst having the help and guidance you need every step of the way. We offer 3 different tiers of support to meet your exact care needs, these include:

Online guides

Downloadable templates

Tailored home visits

Training videos

Signposting to services

Online community forums

Online newsletters

Email Support

Phone Support

We have created a simple and user-friendly online system and build a team around your needs that puts you in the driving seat of your care."

If you visit Mirai Managements website and click through to "Direct Payment Partner" it breaks down the service comprehensively.

Let me know if you need anything else. :)

Is it a free service, or is a cost involved?

Hi Anna, it is a charged for service, however the service can be funded through your individual/personal budget.

If you would like, you can drop me an email at chris@miraimanagement.co.uk and I can send you across our Ebook which details everything including costs etc. Otherwise, I'd be more than happy to have a chat with you if you want to give me a call on 0114 212 7035. :)