The EU and the Irish Border.

Sounds like the UK - the general corruption, its carefree spending of other people's money, the lack of democratic accountability and the poor light that the UK is regarded with all over the world...

What makes you think we are regarded in a poor light 'all over the world'?

Serious question.

Yes, it does- but not a written one.

Is it only known via the medium of dance?

Yes, it does- but not a written one.

No, it doesn't.

It has a body of 'constitutional' law (made up of multifarious bits: Statutes, parts thereof, and Case Law as you note), of variable geometry (cherry-picked ad hoc according to politico-legal situations as they arise: see e.g Henry VIII powers, Humble Adress procedure, and tons more). Last best exemplified in the judgement by tbe Supreme Court in the government appeal from the Miller win.

But no such thing as 'the UK constitution', least of all when that expression is used by reference/contrast to the Irish one.

You're the guy who claimed there was no such thing as 'international law' way-back-when, aren't you? Have you learned anything from all those Brexit-inspired debates involving the WTO, NATO, the Vienna Convention, <...> since?

No, it doesn't.

It has a body of 'constitutional' law (made up of multifarious bits: Statutes, parts thereof, and Case Law as you note), of variable geometry (cherry-picked ad hoc according to politico-legal situations as they arise: see e.g Henry VIII powers, Humble Adress procedure, and tons more). Last best exemplified in the judgement by tbe Supreme Court in the government appeal from the Miller win.

But no such thing as 'the UK constitution', least of all when that expression is used by reference/contrast to the Irish one.

You're the guy who claimed there was no such thing as 'international law' way-back-when, aren't you? Have you learned anything from all those Brexit-inspired debates involving the WTO, NATO, the Vienna Convention, <...> since?

It was a few days ago now (a lovely few day's skiing thanks for asking) so I'm just checking that you understood that when I say "UK Constitution" it's just the usual shorthand for the velum etc? I'm certain that you don't actually think that I think that there's a bulleted list of clauses and articles.

On and up. As I said last week, it's all looking like Eire has been thrown under the bus by the EU. Silly Leo.

It was a few days ago now (a lovely few day's skiing thanks for asking) so I'm just checking that you understood that when I say "UK Constitution" it's just the usual shorthand for the velum etc? I'm certain that you don't actually think that I think that there's a bulleted list of clauses and articles.
Trying to come to the rescue of Ukipper Jeffrey?

You're still a bit new here, aren't you? ;)

On and up. As I said last week, it's all looking like Eire has been thrown under the bus by the EU. Silly Leo.
Ah, that must be why Davis has been busy eating his rethoric of the weekend all morning, and very publicly so, then! :hihi:

On an up indeed, here's to hoping Leo slaps Davis with his veto on Friday. It'd be a lovely feeling to be breaking up for Xmas with.

Well, I agree that the RoI has a written Constitution and that in contrast the UK doesn't.

Goods isn't the problem here at all. As you say goods can be controlled electronically. I dare say some will wish to exploit such a system but that is for the authorities to deal with as and when. The problem is control of people With an open border anyone from the EU can leagally pass in to the Irish Republic, and rightly so, But, then they can walk in to Northern Ireland and therefore into the UK unchecked. That makes a mockery of UK border control regarding immigration. If you dont have border control at the irish border then you have to have it on the mainland for all citizens of the island of Ireland regardless.

It's been a long time, but isn't this the backstop approved by the government yesterday??

Unfortunately for Leavers, we have a political class (and I would include the civil service in this class) who are largely Remainers.

So if anything can be seized upon as an excuse for not leaving, or for keeping us as closely aligned with the EU as possible so we can be taken back into the EU asap, it will be seized upon.

We have May in charge of Leave who is a Remainer and the Leader of the Opposition, Corbyn who has been a Leaver all his political career.

I knew that the calibre of British politicians wasn't great but when I look at May, Thornberry, Watson, Abbott, Grieve, Collins at all, I'd no idea that it was this bad. And that's before you look at yesterday's men like Blair, Major, Kinnock, Mandelson, Heseltine at al, who keep getting disinterred whenever the BBC wants a politician to slag their old party off.

Neither side, Leave or Remain, has a popular leader of their cause. It's been nearly two years since the referendum and there still seems to be no idea about what happens next.

and the Leader of the Opposition, Corbyn who has been a Leaver all his political career..

The problem is with his voters:

65 per cent of 2015 Labour voters voted to stay in the EU.

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/jeremy-corbyn-brexit-young-people-like-me-political-home/

Which is why, despite his personal beliefs, he's been a big fence sitter in the whole process.