Will any Windows 7 CD work in any laptop?

If you don't use much space on the drive then buy a 64, 128 or 256 GB SSD and stick that in. You can then go back to your win10 install by swapping back if you need to. If win7 is OK then the machine will fly with an SSD installed instead of the hard drive. MUCH MUCH faster! Actually stick an SSD in in regardless of OS, it will be like a new laptop!

It's a pretty generic laptop, win7 should be fine, there is nothing out of the ordinary in the machine.

Edited by neeeeeeeeeek

The key needs to match the version. 32 or 64 bit and home premium or pro will need matching keys.

The "bit" version is irrelevant, they key will work on both 32 or 64 bit provided its the correct version ie "home" or "pro" etc

The "bit" version is irrelevant, they key will work on both 32 or 64 bit provided its the correct version ie "home" or "pro" etc

It will, my mistake. You need the right version but either 32 or 64 bit doesn't matter.

Here is the link to Classic Shell. It is a free download. You don't say why you want to downgrade to Windows 7 but if it is just the start menu that you are troubled by then Classic Shell should help. Start8 is similar.

You might not need this add on - How to customize the Windows 10 start menu is just one of many articles on the subject. Spend a little time studying it and you might grow to like it. With Windows 10 there is no need to go scrabbling about looking for programmes; just type the first two letters into the search bar (next to the Windows icon) and it will bring up the programme automatically. You can also activate Cortana and ask it to bring up the thing that you want.

This is a recipe for disaster. Don't do it. Make sure you have a way of putting the original 8/10 back on first when this plan goes south.

To answer the question. You don't buy a CD from ebay. Just download one the usual way*. What you are buying is a license. And you are too likely to end up with snake oil from ebay.

* Unless forum rules have changed over the years I can't elaborate.

ASUS machines have their preinstallation kit on a hidden partition unless someone has removed it.

First off make an image backup of the current system using something like Acronis, this is so you can restore the system to the current state if anything goes wrong.

Then you should be able to factory reinstall the system to it's original windows version & license by pressing F9 just after you power the system up & picking the option that installs to the C drive as this will save any other partitions you have.

It's a bit like the F8 windows menu if you don't do it in a very short window of time windows will boot normally, in which case shut down & try again.

It will reinstall all of the ASUS bloatware and take a dogs age to complete with multiple reboots

Really appreciate the responses. And the reason I want to downgrade is because my touchpad isn't working.

It's all to do with the Smart Gesture application. I've re-installed the latest version from the Asus websie (s well as the latest ATK driver), and it's still not working.

I selected all the right options i.e. Windows 10 64 bit version etc... and still nothing.

I don't think I've got any another option left :(

Thanks Mike, but sadly it's still not working.