Gender Fluid etc, Opinions?

And my point is, so bloody what? No-ones suggesting that all clothes must be the same, so you're getting your knickers in a twist about something that just isn't happening and never will.

Right as far as grown ups are concerned I think we've got the current system right. What do you want?

Boys and girls however are basically the same shape, and there is no good reason to make "boys" clothes and "girls" clothes.

Well there is. The majority of people are happy to dress their boys as boys and girls as girls, On the whole this hasn't done western society any harm at all. Spare us the "define boys to be boys and girls to be girls" crap please because its tiresome. :gag:

Instead of handwringing about whimsical nonsense such as gender fluidity and unisex toilets and such like, why not focus on the places in the world that are suffering REAL human problems?

Guest makapaka
Perhaps your sexuality is entirely irrelevant to this conversation and you could get back to the topic instead of trying to distract with the faux outrage. :roll:

Let me help you out with a reminder.

Okay, so firstly, the bit in bold. Not drivel, a statement of fact.

The second bit, feel free to explain what your concern actually is, given that the clothes won't all be randomly mixed together... You want to be able to find clothes that are shaped and styled appropriately for you, you'll still be able to do that, so why are you concerned about John Lewis stopping having boys and girls lines of clothing and just having childrens clothing? What is your concern?

---------- Post added 21-09-2017 at 16:52 ----------

But still, what is the problem, you're not concerned that everyone will have to wear the same clothes, so what exactly is it you're concerned about?

Both you and Makapaka have some concern about what JL have done, but you're both apparently unable to explain or articulate what this concern is.

---------- Post added 21-09-2017 at 16:57 ----------

I went back to look, so are you concerned that JL a) will stop having a mens and a womens department? (They haven't, it's childrens clothing they stopped labelling). Or that all clothes will instead be an average shape that actually fits no one? Because no sensible clothing company will do that, nor will people buy such clothes, so by the power of the market, that won't happen will it!

I don’t have any concern about what John Lewis has done whatsoever. My comments on the subject can be read.

I think saying that people would feel gay - as you said - is wrong.

I’m not outraged - I just think it’s wrong what you said.

Edit. Sorry - you said “turned a bit gay”

Edited by makapaka

Right as far as grown ups are concerned I think we've got the current system right. What do you want?

Peace, love and less stupidity.

Well there is. The majority of people are happy to dress their boys as boys and girls as girls, On the whole this hasn't done western society any harm at all. Spare us the "define boys to be boys and girls to be girls" crap please because its tiresome. :gag:

Instead of handwringing about whimsical nonsense such as gender fluidity and unisex toilets and such like, why not focus on the places in the world that are suffering REAL human problems?

Gender stereotypes do plenty of harm, toxic masculinity and keeping women "in their place" both stem from gender stereotypes and start with dressing girls as princesses in pink and boys for rough and tumble in blue.

---------- Post added 22-09-2017 at 07:31 ----------

Its been alluded to earlier that body shapes are the same ergo they would be made identically. I think that's wrong.

The last sentence I agree with. I agreed with it several pages back!

People come in all shapes and sizes, some men have moobs, some women don't have boobs (to refer to the most obvious difference between the sexes).

But that's a comment about sex, not gender.

I agree that it's unlikely that I could go out and find a nice frilly blouse that would fit me, I doubt I could find one that would go over my shoulders unless it was like size 40 or something in which case I would be wearing a small tent.

I think the point is though that should I wish to wear such a thing, and should someone manufacture it because there's a demand, then nobody but me should care about it.

Guest makapaka
Gender stereotypes do plenty of harm, toxic masculinity and keeping women "in their place" both stem from gender stereotypes and start with dressing girls as princesses in pink and boys for rough and tumble in blue.

---------- Post added 22-09-2017 at 07:31 ----------

People come in all shapes and sizes, some men have moobs, some women don't have boobs (to refer to the most obvious difference between the sexes).

But that's a comment about sex, not gender.

I agree that it's unlikely that I could go out and find a nice frilly blouse that would fit me, I doubt I could find one that would go over my shoulders unless it was like size 40 or something in which case I would be wearing a small tent.

I think the point is though that should I wish to wear such a thing, and should someone manufacture it because there's a demand, then nobody but me should care about it.

Do you dress your kids in the manner stated above?

I don’t with mine.

My kids friends don’t dress as princesses in pink.

Where are all these children dressed as pink princesses?

Wow! This thread has been busy in the time i've been away.

And, yet, still no one has mentioned clothing which is neutral for the other million genders there are. We're still only talking about girls and boys... it's almost as if they are the only two genders...

Wow! This thread has been busy in the time i've been away.

And, yet, still no one has mentioned clothing which is neutral for the other million genders there are. We're still only talking about girls and boys... it's almost as if they are the only two genders...

What, unisex clothing you mean?

Sex isn't linked to gender...

Balsa is a soft wood but not a softwood. A Brazil nut isn't actually a nut and an astronomer will tell you anything that isn't hydrogen or helium is a metal.

For the purpose of your trivial question unisex means non-gender specific.

Happy?

Balsa is a soft wood but not a softwood. A Brazil nut isn't actually a nut and an astronomer will tell you anything that isn't hydrogen or helium is a metal.

For the purpose of your trivial question unisex means non-gender specific.

Happy?

So why not call it unigender if sex and gender are different things?

And you haven't answered my question - how can it be gender neutral if the clothes are only aimed at those identifying as male or female? Where are the clothes for the other genders?