60s RAF open day

Does anyone remember an raf air base somewhere between gleadless townsend and norton ,i remember going to an open day when i would have been about 10 in the early 60s and saw a huge vulcan bomber with the same wingspan as a concord dont know if it landed or just flew over as i cant remember how big the air base was

Yes, the place is a Driving Instruction place now.

There was an annual open day at R.A.F. Norton, with flypasts etc. There are several old threads - see here for example.

I went on several occasions and I still have a programme from one open day filed away somewhere. There were usually a number of smaller aircraft on static display and a flying display but, from memory, I can only remember helicopters actually landing there.

Does anyone remember an raf air base somewhere between gleadless townsend and norton ,i remember going to an open day when i would have been about 10 in the early 60s and saw a huge vulcan bomber with the same wingspan as a concord dont know if it landed or just flew over as i cant remember how big the air base was

Hi, when I lived in Heeley, in the mid 50's I joined the Royal Auxilary Airforce Regiment, and had to go to RAF Norton at the weekends to do my training and I slept over on the Saturday evening in one of the long wooden hut accomodations. There were also Radar operations and maintenance. I was a Wireless Mechanic and working with a regular airman, we fitted Collins Recievers and Transmitters into our Land Rovers. The station was mainly a Radar maintenance unit of various types and a Barrage Ballon unit during the WWII.

I never saw a Vulcan there, but then I got called up to do my National Service in 1958 ,and was posted to Gardigton to do my recruit (Square Bashing).

Edited by Peter Tottle