Waggon & Horses, Millhouses

Hi everyone just a quick thank you to everyones feedback and suggestions so far every single comment has been read, duly noted and will help me when it comes to the small things that will make you guys happy when we open.

As you know this is a national pub chain, and in your posts you do make a fair point that indeed I will only have so much input into what I can and can't do with the pub. However, the details and points you make will be reflected in the decisions I make as much as possible.

I find it really great that most of you are willing to give it a try and let me have a chance, at trying to make it a successful pub, even if it is not to everyones tastes, as its not possible to make everyone happy but I will give it a good go.

It also would be great if the guys who are willing to give us a chance would maybe introduce themselves to me when you pop in the pub so obviously you could give me some feedback after your visit whether it be good or bad!

Thank you and please keep posting what you personally would like to see in the Waggon and Horses it really helps.

Stefan.

Hi everyone just a quick thank you to everyones feedback and suggestions so far every single comment has been read, duly noted and will help me when it comes to the small things that will make you guys happy when we open.

As you know this is a national pub chain, and in your posts you do make a fair point that indeed I will only have so much input into what I can and can't do with the pub. However, the details and points you make will be reflected in the decisions I make as much as possible.

I find it really great that most of you are willing to give it a try and let me have a chance, at trying to make it a successful pub, even if it is not to everyones tastes, as its not possible to make everyone happy but I will give it a good go.

It also would be great if the guys who are willing to give us a chance would maybe introduce themselves to me when you pop in the pub so obviously you could give me some feedback after your visit whether it be good or bad!

Thank you and please keep posting what you personally would like to see in the Waggon and Horses it really helps.

Stefan.

Well you have started off well by asking opinions and listening to feedback.

Good luck will certainly give it a try when it opens provided it does not look like a restaurant only affair as the last place did.

Stefan.

I realise that you're trying and that you're constrained from expressing yourself freely by the pub company you work for. Would it be worth your while forwarding a link to this thread to your head office?

Are you allowed to order the 4500 calorie burger with three extra plates? That way you could share it with friends and family, splitting it four ways to make a reasonable portion :)

Hi Nagel, sorry I must of missed replying to this earlier.

Yes! This is 100% fine, I once had a family order it and share it with 4 children for £9.99, and many of couples share it and its well more than enough for 2.

Only difference is, if its ordered to share and you eat it all then you don't get a certificate for completing it thats all and by no means is ordering it for 2 to share frowned upon in anyway at all.

Hope this helps.

---------- Post added 13-01-2014 at 09:48 ----------

I realise that you're trying and that you're constrained from expressing yourself freely by the pub company you work for. Would it be worth your while forwarding a link to this thread to your head office?

I have a meeting shortly and will be discussing all the points raised by you guys then, but thank you for the idea though Nagel.

"We look for people who have great personalities, thrive in a fast paced environment and have a real passion for people. The most important thing is that you can work as part of a high performing team and have great communication skills to quickly build rapport with your colleagues and Guest"

Allow me to translate: you will slog for long shifts in unsocial hours for minimum wage no sick pay no pension and minimum annual leave. You will have no respect from the management and have to put up with rude unsatisfied customers when the managers havent done their job properly. [/b]

Dont mean to rain on your parade mate but I am fed up of this kind of speak. Companys now expect such high levels and the recruitment process is so selective but for what? Large companys like this give nothing back so have a high turnover of staff so can never deliver "the best guest experience" Lets be refreshing and advertise rates of pay higher than the minimum wage pension scheme and sick pay You may then get some loyalty from staff and they may just stay with you. We visit Wetherspoons in Woodseats regularly and have yet to see the same face behind the bar more than a couple of times I think this says a lot

Edited by Ms Interpret
words missing

"We look for people who have great personalities, thrive in a fast paced environment and have a real passion for people. The most important thing is that you can work as part of a high performing team and have great communication skills to quickly build rapport with your colleagues and Guest"

Allow me to translate: you will slog for long shifts in unsocial hours for minimum wage no sick pay no pension and minimum annual leave. You will have no respect from the management and have to put up with rude unsatisfied customers when the managers havent done their job properly. [/b]

Dont mean to rain on your parade mate but I am fed up of this kind of speak. Companys now expect such high levels and the recruitment process is so selective but for what? Large companys like this give nothing back so have a high turnover of staff so can never deliver "the best guest experience" Lets be refreshing and advertise rates of pay higher than the minimum wage pension scheme and sick pay You may then get some loyalty from staff and they may just stay with you. We visit Wetherspoons in Woodseats regularly and have yet to see the same face behind the bar more than a couple of times I think this says a lot

Blimey !!!! Wether spoons :gag: hardly the clientele the waggon and horses need :hihi:

Flaming Grill is a cheap and cheerful chain pub no better or worse than Wetherspoons Just because its in Millhouses will not make it up market! Pesto tried with that and failed !! Jist take a look at the Crown Carvery at Owler Bar for instance!!!

http://www.flaminggrillpubs.com/

versus:

http://www.thebroadfield.co.uk/index.php

http://www.cricketinn.co.uk/home.html

http://www.cross-scythes.co.uk/index.html

http://www.thebeauchief.com/home.html

I guess (hope) you've done your research, but my gut feeling is that this concept would sit much happier (and maybe more profitably for you) in or around Sheffield city centre; you know West One, that kind of area.

It may work, and I wish you personally well, but it's not the sort of place that appeals to me, and those in the social grades that predominate in SW Sheffield may reside on the quality side of the quality-value equation.

Flaming Grill is a cheap and cheerful chain pub no better or worse than Wetherspoons Just because its in Millhouses will not make it up market! Pesto tried with that and failed !! Jist take a look at the Crown Carvery at Owler Bar for instance!!!

I agree entirely that's why a cheap menu offering and cheap beer won't work here, attracts the wrong clientele , they need to take a look at the Dore Moor pub always full and fairly consistent quality not cheap as chips but good value and it keeps the oiks and chavs away.

Love the Broadfield, in fact I like all of their pubs, The York, Old House etc..I'm surprised someone like them or Thornbridge aren't interested in the Waggon. Maybe they might take the Cherry Tree.

A woman who used to have the Millhouses is taking over the Cherry Tree. I'm told its opening this weekend.

A woman who used to have the Millhouses is taking over the Cherry Tree. I'm told its opening this weekend.

She must be very brave. I was expecting it to be Sainsbury's local any time soon. I really can't see how it can work. Everything has been tried, right down to offering local real ales.

Harsh !! if your so anti large pub chains, why are you feeding a Wetherspoons with your custom?

Its all about service to me, with good quality products at realistic prices. your eating on the cheap by a large outlet that buys cheap, rumoured with products very close to sell by date!!

You seem to have an axe to grind, yet still pay in to the type of company your complaining about!!

Edited by POUNDSWORTH