Bus service changes in Sheffield - September 2017

I mentioned earlier (post#5): "Was telling a friend about these changes. His comment was that some people with a tie who probably never take bus themselves got too much time. "

then alexander asked

Don't understand this .

It is pretty clear so far the undertone is cost cutting savings, that's done by people with a tie in a boardroom.

I see that from 3rd September, getting from Stocksbridge into the city centre or even Hillsborough is going to be even more of a pain, thanks to Stagecoach reducing the already infrequent 57 service - forcing more people onto the Middlewood tram.

Do people not deserve better, rather than been forced onto the tram at Middlewood?

How many people who commute or even car drivers, would consider using the bus if it was more frequent (like in the days when First ran the 57/58 services, before Stagecoach poached the custom and forced them to withdraw)?

It would appear that Stocksbridge will suffer the same as High Green with a lack of services to Hillsborough - or maybe it will be Hillsborough shops that suffer more. I realised that the 85 from High Green will be halved to every hour, but now that the timetable has appeared, it seems that the 85 will no longer do the loop around High Green, just going to Fosters Way as it does now, but then turning round and returning. This bus is always busy around 8am to 9am with people going to work or college at Hillsborough, and also it is the only way to Sheffield that avoids the yobs going to Eccesfield school, who fill the 1 and 1a buses from 7.30 to 8.45am. I know so many people who are afraid to get the 1 and 1a at these times, and so use the 85. People aren't going to walk from, say Wortley Road to The Fosters. Maybe getting a 1 or 1a going a few stops through High Green to The Fosters may look a good idea to First, but when 85's will only be every hour, the chances of timing it right would be impossible. Unless I am missing something of course ?

My grandkids catch bus from shirecliffe after school,now this bus will not be on their mormal finishing time,this means they will now have walk or wait an hour for next bus,

It would appear that Stocksbridge will suffer the same as High Green with a lack of services to Hillsborough - or maybe it will be Hillsborough shops that suffer more. I realised that the 85 from High Green will be halved to every hour, but now that the timetable has appeared, it seems that the 85 will no longer do the loop around High Green, just going to Fosters Way as it does now, but then turning round and returning. This bus is always busy around 8am to 9am with people going to work or college at Hillsborough, and also it is the only way to Sheffield that avoids the yobs going to Eccesfield school, who fill the 1 and 1a buses from 7.30 to 8.45am. I know so many people who are afraid to get the 1 and 1a at these times, and so use the 85. People aren't going to walk from, say Wortley Road to The Fosters. Maybe getting a 1 or 1a going a few stops through High Green to The Fosters may look a good idea to First, but when 85's will only be every hour, the chances of timing it right would be impossible. Unless I am missing something of course ?

The daytime service on the 57 is being reduced to hourly because Stagecoach have tried running a more frequent half hourly service and with the numbers actually travelling on it that level of service is not financially viable. The Supertramlink service will retain the same frequent service. Additionally note in the daytime the 57 and 201 will be connected together so the same vehicle will run all the way Sheffield-Stocksbridge-Chapeltown. Also note the Sunday service 57 Sheffield-Oughtibridge is withdrawn and replaced by a new service 57a operated by TM Travel which will be a circular service Hillsborough-Middlewood-Oughtibridge-Worral-Hillsborough.

With regards the 85 this will be co-ordinated with the new 35, both running hourly, so a half hourly service is provided from Sheffield and Hillsborough as far as Grenoside, then the 85 runs hourly to High Green and 35 hourly to Meadowhall. Service 85 will be connected together with new service 136 so the same vehicle will run Sheffield-High Green-Rotherham.

Another change you might not have spotted is the Sunday service on the 85 will only run High Green to Hillsborough, with connecting bus or tram into Sheffield.

---------- Post added 21-08-2017 at 22:34 ----------

My grandkids catch bus from shirecliffe after school,now this bus will not be on their mormal finishing time,this means they will now have walk or wait an hour for next bus,

Is it Parkwood Academy - there may be other buses - you can download a guide to buses serving the school from September here: http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/ParkwoodAcademy170717.pdf

The ONLY source of full information plus route maps is availablee via the GoTimetable web site.

this will lead to an App for Android phones or a web site for all other devices and platfoms.

Most of the timetables have enhanced infromation, making them easier to understand.

Download and use is FREE.

VASTLY superior to anything else available in the City!

Not surprised about the 96 is not used much at all.

However 86 could do with some extra capacity as it can be vey busy at times.

And on Sundays almost as effective as the (non-existent) 96.

Glad the 19 is coming back. However, I do hope that the 18/19 will have more pre-9 a.m. services than the current 0749 number 18, which is the only option for commuters.

Add to that the ludicrous 1640 and 1740 on the reverse route, which are no use to the majority of people who finish at 5.00: I do hope First see sense and put some sensible timings on the service.

A late service to Woodseats might be helpful too. The last number 20 is now at 2315 from Moorfoot, and there used to be various services running to Woodseats after that time, which were lifesavers for me living at Norton Lees, just up the hill. It's like First don't want to cater for people out to see bands or regular pub goers. You'd think it was all about money.

Glad the 19 is coming back. However, I do hope that the 18/19 will have more pre-9 a.m. services than the current 0749 number 18, which is the only option for commuters.

Add to that the ludicrous 1640 and 1740 on the reverse route, which are no use to the majority of people who finish at 5.00: I do hope First see sense and put some sensible timings on the service.

A late service to Woodseats might be helpful too. The last number 20 is now at 2315 from Moorfoot, and there used to be various services running to Woodseats after that time, which were lifesavers for me living at Norton Lees, just up the hill. It's like First don't want to cater for people out to see bands or regular pub goers. You'd think it was all about money.

To Woodseats there is a 24 from town at 23.32.

Later buses don't exist because when they did they weren't used and lost money. Taxis are plentiful in Sheffield and people seem happy to pay for them at night.

Buses - use them or lose them is the message really.

We had the 265 Barnsley -Sheffield bus over 25 years and it was a very reliable service,that could help workers get to work before 6.00am,and some of there bus drivers at the Stage Coach Ecclesfield depot even caught the bus,but now it as been switched to the Number 2 bus and the earliest bus is now 5.50 am from the Moor ,and just shows that Stage Coach have not thought about people starting work early,Why no early bus is totally wrong

The earlier bus still runs to Barnsley, it commences from Ecclesfield rather than Sheffield City Centre, presumably due to not enough passengers using it from Sheffield for that section to be viable. There is however a connection available from Sheffield to Ecclesfield on route 1a.

Journey planner - http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com

---------- Post added 04-09-2017 at 23:14 ----------

nb - already a thread on this theme here: https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1518954

Edited by Andy C

Got a email back from stage coach saying that the 265 was not getting enough passages on there early bus,that is why the bus times have been changed

On a similar theme but at the other end of the day, First bus 41 now has a last bus from Sheffield Interchange at 22:53 rendering it fairly useless for returning from a night out!