Dockless bike sharing scheme to launch in Sheffield

https://www.ft.com/content/53f1168e-db06-11e7-a039-c64b1c09b482

Some analysts also believe revenues will come from enabling marketing companies, real estate planners and local retailers to tap into user data.

“You know where the user is much of the day based on their travel patterns, and can aggregate this to calculate the*demographics of traffic flows through a city,” said Mark Natkin of Marbridge Consulting, a tech research firm.

"And if you’re partnered with Alibaba or Tencent, you may have access to a staggeringly enormous vault of data based on the telephone number alone.”

How does data about where people cycle have value?

it's not just data about where the person cycles, there'll be profiling parameters attached to that data as well.

user1 is male, 30-40, lives in S7, rode an ofo bike to waitrose, where he spent 20mins.

it's even possible, that the contents of user1's shopping basket will be known... (ok, that's a guess, but if you're using apple-pay, or etc. then it can't be too tricky to record that data)

essentially, our smart phones record an awful lot of data about us, if you could persuade enough people to download your app, then you could start selling that data. to advertisers, etc.

if your app adds an extra line of data, that's exclusive (or at least tricky to record) such as urban travel habits, then your data is worth more than a competitor's app.

Edited by ads36

Except that it doesn't collect most of that information.

I registered already, it didn't take, sex, age, home address (although credit card details would provide some of that, but provided that way it would be illegal to use them for anything other than taking payment)

It would be highly illegal to start data sharing between companies without express permission of course, so actually linking up forms of payment to merge datasets, wow, massive legal hot water.

I can imagine a highly amusing analysis of the data from Sheffield showing that people mostly travel downhill. :-)

They have your tel no and email addy. OK, that can be sold onto the various scammers such as PPI, ambulance chasers etc.

Make sufficient journeys and they have a good idea where you live and work as patterns start to arise. Suddenly adverts relevant to those areas start to appear in your inbox and on the app.

The bike is GPS tracked so now they knows the route you take to work, time for the targeted adverts along your route

ANY data is valuable in sufficient quantity, even better when you give it away :)

just seen a yellow "ofo" bike abandoned on abbeydale road nr bottom of carterknowle, lent halfway down a wall on the pavement blocking it somewhat for pedestrians! not a good start is it?

Edited by realcockney

So, it's parked on the pavement, within the geocached area.

---------- Post added 10-01-2018 at 14:58 ----------

They have your tel no and email addy. OK, that can be sold onto the various scammers such as PPI, ambulance chasers etc.

Sure, if they want to get slapped down hard, legally speaking.

Make sufficient journeys and they have a good idea where you live and work as patterns start to arise. Suddenly adverts relevant to those areas start to appear in your inbox and on the app.

If they email you without permission then that's going to land them in hot water as well.

The bike is GPS tracked so now they knows the route you take to work, time for the targeted adverts along your route

Targeted adverts where? I don't look at my phone whilst I'm cycling.

ANY data is valuable in sufficient quantity, even better when you give it away :)

Yes, I'm sure the data will have some value.

But at the moment the suggestions are mostly criminal uses of the data for it to be of much use.

just seen a yellow "ofo" bike abandoned on abbeydale road nr bottom of carterknowle, lent halfway down a wall on the pavement blocking it somewhat for pedestrians! not a good start is it?

use the app to report it and get some points :)

I don't understand why he thinks it's 'abandoned'. The point is that you can park them anywhere when you're done with them (inside the area limits).

Google 'Lime Bikes' in Key Biscayne Florida, just been there and tried their docking bikes (cool green bikes with limes on). The whole system/infrastructure works like a dream...pity Sheffield doesn't have a beach cycle route...or a beach come to that!

saw a programme last week and there were thousands of bikes everywhere in canals,tips,just piled high,hope it works but if they have huge problems in china ,I suspect there will have problems here.

I don't understand why he thinks it's 'abandoned'. The point is that you can park them anywhere when you're done with them (inside the area limits).

the app says they have to be parked off the highway and considerately? i am sure the council will have something to say and their insurers ? this one was half against a wall propped up with wheels halfway across the pavement which is for pedestrians.

the app says they have to be parked off the highway and considerately? i am sure the council will have something to say and their insurers ? this one was half against a wall propped up with wheels halfway across the pavement which is for pedestrians.
i can see the where theres a blame claimlot coming on soon :hihi: