Park Hill Flats, who lived there, and what are your memories of them?

We lived on the flats from 66 to 70 & they were O.K.It was later when they started putting people in them who did not give a monkeys about other people.

Recently I'm afraid the only memories are gunpoint situations.

i used to live at number 1 long henry row the one that was 4 stories high.. loved the view into sheffield city centre. i never had any problems while i lived there but it was in 1983-1985. only one grip was that you could not turn off the heating.. so it was alwasy red hot lol

you must have looked out over the incinerator chimney, to the front, and the school at the back! (and been pretty much above the pub by the shops, the Earl George, or something?)

you must have looked out over the incinerator chimney, to the front, and the school at the back! (and been pretty much above the pub by the shops, the Earl George, or something?)

yep that was it the big chimmney my front door was on the stairs beetween long henry and norwich row. was a good veiw over park square and could even see comercial street and the old sheaf markets from my bedroom. other side looked up duke street

I lived on Parkhill flats with my girlfriend ( now wife ) and it was ok . I lived on Norwich Row ( not saying number in case your the rent man ) lol. no seriously it was a very good complex,a different way of life

i lived on park hill flats back in the 80's i wasnt there very long

it was ok some nice people

the only thing i found wrong with it was the ants and cockroaches i reported them once and a man came around and i showed him one of the cockroaches i caught in a match box he said it was massive also reported ants the stuff they put down was rubbish so i collected a load of ants in a glass jar and took them to the housing and said here now you live with them im leaving :rant:

Park Hill flats .There were four rows Long Henry,Norwich and I can not think of the other ones.I had a aunt and uncle lived there for years I was always staying with them it must have been the fun of riding up and down in the lifts.

At Weston Park museum there is a video playing showing Park Hill Flats and with clips from a documentary that was made about them when they were first built. My husbands grandma is on it :)

Park Hill flats .There were four rows Long Henry,Norwich and I can not think of the other ones.I had a aunt and uncle lived there for years I was always staying with them it must have been the fun of riding up and down in the lifts.

The other two rows that you are trying to remember, Alan, are Hague Row and Gilbert Row. (like the other two rows, and the rows on Hyde Park and Kelvin Flats, they named them after the streets that were in the vicinity before the flats were built.)

Thanks for the information Plain Talker I had a feeling Hauge was one but I would not have guessed Gilbert.Thanks again.

Its funny but no matter what city you live or what part of the world ,there's always a Park Hill flats something must be basic wrong with lumping all those people together & as sure as night follows day they all start well and go downhill fast (we have three):rant::rant::rant:

Its funny but no matter what city you live or what part of the world ,there's always a Park Hill flats something must be basic wrong with lumping all those people together & as sure as night follows day they all start well and go downhill fast (we have three):rant::rant::rant:

I don't know what you mean?

Park Hill was an award-winning development in its day:- it was wonderful, warm, centrally-heated housing with indoor sanitation,hot water 24/7, shops on the doorstep, light, airy, well-designed... Light years better than the notorious and insanitary housing that the flats replaced.

There was a sense of community, in those days, as the council were able to vet the tenants who were given the properties, and ensure that they were not going to be anti-social. People were literally fighting to get housed on those flats.

I still think they could be excellent, with maintenance, and tenants who are vetted. The flats themselves are well laid-out, and spacious, internally.