Torksey in the 70s

My uncle had a boat on the canal there, we used to go at weekends. What was the pub opposite, was it The Swan?

hi brooksy

i am the same age as you and i virtually lived at Torksey in the middle to late 70s so our paths will have crossed sometime.

We were on the Hulme Arms site,did our drinking in the Castle Arms on Sandy lane,and in the barn at weekends,transport was difficult and it was a long walk to the Carpenters, occaisonally popped in to the club on Little London and do you remember Mrs Wicks strawberry milk from the farm.

years gone by now but many happy memories:P

cheers muppet.

hi brooksy

i am the same age as you and i virtually lived at Torksey in the middle to late 70s so our paths will have crossed sometime.

We were on the Hulme Arms site,did our drinking in the Castle Arms on Sandy lane,and in the barn at weekends,transport was difficult and it was a long walk to the Carpenters, occaisonally popped in to the club on Little London and do you remember Mrs Wicks strawberry milk from the farm.

years gone by now but many happy memories:P

cheers muppet.

Hi there.Yes i used to nip down to the hume arms because we had friends on there.Harry and brenda wragg , and the iron monger ernest jennings had vans on your site.Ifished the pond on there and remember a massive great dane on there.Me and my mates went in the castle on our pub crawls has 16 yearolds.We walked down to the castle then up to the swan then finished up at the carppenters where they had a disco in the barn at the back.We were on the rydal mount .I also had a girl friend whos dad lived on the little london in the cottage on there.Best time of my life down there for many reasons ,esp the fishing but mostly the girls.:):)

Thanks for the info.Living in Lincs I should've known

My Grandfather was Stan Beal who owned Rydal Mount in the 60's 70's and 80's. He was a bit of a bossy boots. His wife, my step Grandmother was called Betty. I used to come every summer holidays for two weeks. I remember staying out late in the playground telling each other scary stories!! We used to ride on the Landrover when he moved caravans. I remember when he got a huge trampoline one summer. Bonfire nights with the fire at the bottom of the site was great as well. This avitar photo is my school photo for 1969 if it helps anyone remember. Cheers. Martyn Beal. Now 54

Edited by martynbeal
more detail

I'm so old I can remember when Torksey had a railway station....:sad:

Used to go to Torksey in late mid 60's on Saturday evenings to the Hume Arms pub

I'm so old I can remember when Torksey had a railway station....:sad:

Me too,we used it for our fishing trips before cars were available.

We had a caravan on the Elms site middle of the 70s to early 80s. We, Fothergills, bought ours after our friends, Whelans and Cantors bought theirs. Used to go there from Sheffield, where we lived then, every Friday after work and stayed until Sunday.Then through the summer we spent more time there. We would go around to the Little London site each time we were there had some good nights. The owner of the London site tried to persuade us to move our caravans on to his site. The elms owner and the Little London owner didn't like each other. Had some great times there caught some decent fish.

My Grandfather was Stan Beal who owned Rydal Mount in the 60's 70's and 80's. He was a bit of a bossy boots. His wife, my step Grandmother was called Betty. I used to come every summer holidays for two weeks. I remember staying out late in the playground telling each other scary stories!! We used to ride on the Landrover when he moved caravans. I remember when he got a huge trampoline one summer. Bonfire nights with the fire at the bottom of the site was great as well. This avitar photo is my school photo for 1969 if it helps anyone remember. Cheers. Martyn Beal. Now 54��

eh up martin its me robeert.i grew up on attercliffe and knocked about with you and your cousin mark at torksey.

The railway bridge across the Trent has recently reopened as a cycle path.

Built by Sheffield's very own and arguably Britain's most influential civil engineer -John Fowler.

Hi all - I'm going back earlier than outlined, a workmates parents had a trailer at Torksey and I got invited to spend a weekend with them probably a couple of times. I've got to mention going over to the Hume Pub (I think it was the Hume) one evening and seeing the beautiful spread of food ready for the evening crowd, I suppose the highlite being a large Salmon (probably locally caught, more I think about it though it might have been a larger Trout) on a tray, cut in such a way as to show the great inner meat. I know we couldn't afford to eat there and mind you this was probably towards the end of rationing when a small tin of Salmon was considered a delicacy and had to feed four. I seem to remember a river lock/gate being in the vicinity of where we were camping and someone mentioned Laneham being close by, my Moms dad, my grandfather was born there, his name was Bert Chamberlain, he became a Foreman bricklayer and eventually built a house in Ecclesfeild where his remaining family lived for sometime. fleetwood

Edited by fleetwood
Makes more sense