New Retail Quarter in the City Centre

I worry that the new retail quarter will just become another millstone around the necks of the Sheffield taxpayer.There are loads of empty units already on the moor,as good as the new cinema is and i do love it,is that the last four times i have been to it there was only a handful of us in there.Worrying times.

Another worry is that when many retailers move from say High Street ,Fargate etc to the Moor and new SRQ then will the former areas become an extension of the now abandoned Market area.

Guest makapaka

“We are years behind Leeds and Manchester! - our town centre is a joke!”

***£500m investment in town centre announced***

“Waste of money it’ll never work!”

A good clear up of 1960’s buildings will have to happen sometime, it costs a fortune to keep patching them up. The whole of the Fargate/Chapel Walk building was thrown up in the first place, basements started flooding shortly after they were built, they were full of blue asbestos and are very expensive to heat.

Many of the late Victorian/Edwardian buildings are not fit for purpose, most have been converted from far different usage to their current functions, perhaps preserving facades and new building within is the answer, albeit an expensive one.

Needless to say, nothing is going to happen anytime soon, much thought is required as to what direction the city centre is to take.

“We are years behind Leeds and Manchester! - our town centre is a joke!”

***£500m investment in town centre announced***

“Waste of money it’ll never work!”

typical isn't it, I think people have this perverse desire for nothing to ever change or improve, it's rather sad and pathetic:loopy:

---------- Post added 17-03-2018 at 22:10 ----------

A good clear up of 1960’s buildings will have to happen sometime, it costs a fortune to keep patching them up. The whole of the Fargate/Chapel Walk building was thrown up in the first place, basements started flooding shortly after they were built, they were full of blue asbestos and are very expensive to heat.

Many of the late Victorian/Edwardian buildings are not fit for purpose, most have been converted from far different usage to their current functions, perhaps preserving facades and new building within is the answer, albeit an expensive one.

Needless to say, nothing is going to happen anytime soon, much thought is required as to what direction the city centre is to take.

I don't consider starting before the year is out 'not anytime soon'

---------- Post added 17-03-2018 at 22:11 ----------

I worry that the new retail quarter will just become another millstone around the necks of the Sheffield taxpayer.There are loads of empty units already on the moor,as good as the new cinema is and i do love it,is that the last four times i have been to it there was only a handful of us in there.Worrying times.

there aren't loads of empty units on the moor, the few that are empty are in the process of being filled.

---------- Post added 17-03-2018 at 22:12 ----------

totally disgagree with this as there will always be retail in centres and sheffield fare is very very very poor and this developent does nothing to address this .

of course it does something to address it, are you completely daft, how does building retail units not do anything?!

Edited by Wazzock

typical isn't it, I think people have this perverse desire for nothing to ever change or improve, it's rather sad and pathetic:loopy:

there aren't loads of empty units on the moor, the few that are empty are in the process of being filled.

of course it does something to address it, are you completely daft, how does building retail units not do anything?!

Are you a council planner?:hihi::hihi:

Are you a council planner?:hihi::hihi:

Are you one of these people who think that just because someone has a differing opinion that they must work for the council?

Are you one of these people who think that just because someone has a differing opinion that they must work for the council?

I only ask because this forum does have polticians,councillors and planners who frequent this forum,its always so obvious.There is one person who i know is definitely connected with the Labour party,they leave some clues to their id.You are totally entitled to your own opinion.I did intend it to be a humorous quip,it wasn't intended to offend.

loads of empty units? the problem is sheffield has rubbish retail compared to other cities a change in the way the srq is going will more than likley kill off a lot of retail shocking decision to not have the retail thats needed

---------- Post added 21-03-2018 at 23:26 ----------

because when i went to open days etc the main problem was the shops want to come but the size of the units are inadequete putting loads of housing without retail is completley bonkers .

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-city-centre-development-plans-to-be-discussed-1-9192678

This new development will fail badly. There are insufficient large retailers interested and the whole retail sector in the UK is struggling. I seriously doubt that any store groups will invest in this new development - the people of Sheffield just don't have the disposable income to justify such a development and the retail centre of gravity moved to Meadowhall many years ago.

I do hope SCC haven't borrowed money for this.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-city-centre-development-plans-to-be-discussed-1-9192678

This new development will fail badly. There are insufficient large retailers interested and the whole retail sector in the UK is struggling. I seriously doubt that any store groups will invest in this new development - the people of Sheffield just don't have the disposable income to justify such a development and the retail centre of gravity moved to Meadowhall many years ago.

I do hope SCC haven't borrowed money for this.

Retail expert are you? plenty are already interested

Retail expert are you? plenty are already interested

You don't have to be a retail expert to know that retail is having serious problems across the board.

This retail quarter has been in the pipeline for donkey's years and has taken far too long to get it off the ground, arising at last, but now in the middle of a serious retail downturn.

However let's stay positive, and hope that it Sheffield's Retail Quarter can attract people and thrive.

My wife can clothing shop on line, and return for refund or exchange free of charge. She informs me that the major supermarket clothing is improving every time she looks. The big sellers are the ‘outside’ stores, that have, all but for a few, moved well out of town, and all have, or are close to, free parking.

City centre shopping is dead, and isn’t about to wake from it.