New Retail Quarter in the City Centre

I wouldn’t take much notice of the S/T, it wouldn’t exist without the agents, this is not the old days, when it was a proper newspaper.

I'm fairly sure it would exist without letting agents.

City centres have got to evolve into places what are not just about shopping 9 to 5 and start providing more variation like the moor area is starting to provide and extending the using hours more

Spot on, ‘evolve’ is the magic word. When the city centre needed a Corn Exchange, a Haymarket, an abattoir, a cattle market and a pinfold they were provided, when they weren’t they were closed down. If the centre was full of say theatres, all of the niche retail outlets would be there to support them, but it isn’t so the’re not. I don’t need the centre anymore, neither does my wife or anyone that I know, most of my income is disposable, but I tend to dispose of it off centre, other than for holidays, which I used to book at city centre travel agents, but now do it on-line.

Over to you Sheffield City Council, but please try to listen to folk and you might just learn from them.

---------- Post added 15-03-2018 at 12:07 ----------

I'm fairly sure it would exist without letting agents.

Fair enough, what would they replace the lost income with by the way?

I think the short answer is a private investment company is now responsible for the Moor and is spending the money it has to improve the moor in order to make money. Fargate doesn't have the same status/backing.

Interesting. Is that a good thing in terms of corporate takeover of our streets? I have no problems with what I'm seeing on the surface - as I say it looks clean and tidy. Usually however companies taking over things go badly, but I don't see too much of a problem with this so far.

Are there any potential downsides?

Guest makapaka
Interesting. Is that a good thing in terms of corporate takeover of our streets? I have no problems with what I'm seeing on the surface - as I say it looks clean and tidy. Usually however companies taking over things go badly, but I don't see too much of a problem with this so far.

Are there any potential downsides?

There's not been a corporate takeover - it's just that Scottish Widows own most of the buildings in that area so it's in their interest to push forward improvements to make the area more attractive.

It's not like the public owned the buildings beforehand and they have been transferred into private ownership.

There's not been a corporate takeover - it's just that Scottish Widows own most of the buildings in that area so it's in their interest to push forward improvements to make the area more attractive.

It's not like the public owned the buildings beforehand and they have been transferred into private ownership.

That's different to what the previous poster said - that a "private investment company is now responsible for the Moor".

Not sure who is right....

That's different to what the previous poster said - that a "private investment company is now responsible for the Moor".

Not sure who is right....

I will defer to Maka, my comment was my fairly crude understanding of the situation - I think SW have long-leased the moor from council.

But I'd still consider SW a private investment company - I personally don't see any downsides to it, but I may be wrong.

I will defer to Maka, my comment was my fairly crude understanding of the situation - I think SW have long-leased the moor from council.

But I'd still consider SW a private investment company - I personally don't see any downsides to it, but I may be wrong.

Well it's certainly a vast improvement, in terms of a pleasant shopping experience, to how it was.

Spot on, ‘evolve’ is the magic word. When the city centre needed a Corn Exchange, a Haymarket, an abattoir, a cattle market and a pinfold they were provided, when they weren’t they were closed down. If the centre was full of say theatres, all of the niche retail outlets would be there to support them, but it isn’t so the’re not. I don’t need the centre anymore, neither does my wife or anyone that I know, most of my income is disposable, but I tend to dispose of it off centre, other than for holidays, which I used to book at city centre travel agents, but now do it on-line.

Over to you Sheffield City Council, but please try to listen to folk and you might just learn from them.

---------- Post added 15-03-2018 at 12:07 ----------

Fair enough, what would they replace the lost income with by the way?

Do the ST receive payment for publishing a few quotes from commercial property letting agents? I very much doubt it. Little or no benefit to the agent.

As recent events have shown (Toys R Us etc), retail is changing, lots more people shopping on line - Sheffield has absolutely no chance of competing with Meadowhall or established retail centres like Leeds/Manchester.

People need to get over retail as the be-all-and-end-all of city centres. Sheffield does have a lot to offer in city centre in terms of arts, music, culture and open spaces - build on that, not some dream of creating another Oxford Street.

totally disgagree with this as there will always be retail in centres and sheffield fare is very very very poor and this developent does nothing to address this .

Strangely enough i have just been reading about the dire situation the retail trade is in.It listed all the major high street names who are either disappearing altogether or downsizing.The industry is putting it down to slow wage growth,high personal debt and impending interest rate rises.They are also blaming rising rents,business rates,parking fees,public transport costs and of course the switch to online shopping.To be honest online shopping is a no brainer,cheaper items ,no travel costs.If i buy anything from a shop it is usually from meadowhall.I love my fishing so i still use local fishing tackle shops everytime though.Leisure businesses and shops like Greggs are still doing well though.

Strangely enough i have just been reading about the dire situation the retail trade is in.It listed all the major high street names who are either disappearing altogether or downsizing.The industry is putting it down to slow wage growth,high personal debt and impending interest rate rises.They are also blaming rising rents,business rates,parking fees,public transport costs and of course the switch to online shopping.To be honest online shopping is a no brainer,cheaper items ,no travel costs.If i buy anything from a shop it is usually from meadowhall.I love my fishing so i still use local fishing tackle shops everytime though.Leisure businesses and shops like Greggs are still doing well though.
........look at Ecclesall Road for instance! once housing then turned into retail units.......now the restaurant side is struggling! Carluccio's did not last long,the old Yankees has been up to let for nearly a year and I bet the vast majority of units on the road are not making much profits.People will get more take aways and 2 meals and a bottle of wine for a tenner deals.

I can envisage one day quite a number of units on Ecclesall road being returned back to housing!..........as for the high Streets,they will struggle more and more as online takes more of a grip!maybe more of the unprofitable units will be developed into flats and some into social housing as is already happening. The big boys will stay the course but as for the lesser ones who have rolled on the back of credit and cheap loans there time may be coming to an end!

........look at Ecclesall Road for instance! once housing then turned into retail units.......now the restaurant side is struggling! Carluccio's did not last long,the old Yankees has been up to let for nearly a year and I bet the vast majority of units on the road are not making much profits.People will get more take aways and 2 meals and a bottle of wine for a tenner deals.

I can envisage one day quite a number of units on Ecclesall road being returned back to housing!..........as for the high Streets,they will struggle more and more as online takes more of a grip!maybe more of the unprofitable units will be developed into flats and some into social housing as is already happening. The big boys will stay the course but as for the lesser ones who have rolled on the back of credit and cheap loans there time may be coming to an end!

I worry that the new retail quarter will just become another millstone around the necks of the Sheffield taxpayer.There are loads of empty units already on the moor,as good as the new cinema is and i do love it,is that the last four times i have been to it there was only a handful of us in there.Worrying times.