Plans for 37 Storey tower to go on site of old NMB

It's right outside the train station, bus station and blue tram stop and easy walking distance into town.

As public transport links go it's got some of the best in the city.

yes, but is there spare capacity?

(i'm not expecting answers, i'm just expressing my concerns...)

It's right outside the train station, bus station and blue tram stop and easy walking distance into town.

As public transport links go it's got some of the best in the city.

Agreed but not much use to anyone driving to the hotel on business or to those living in the flats that have cars.

I consider St Pauls Tower to be a disaster. A truly ugly building and I find the way it imposes itself on the Town Hall to be unacceptable.

This should have been a much much more carefully considered piece of architecture. The councillors who voted it through against the advice of the planners should hang their heads in shame.

I don't have a problem with a tower on the NMB site but I would worry about whether the finesse required to make a truly exceptional peice of Architecture would be forthcoming. The relative height is a cause for concern. Few buildings have such a wide impact as truly tall ones and they have to be very carefully considered. The universities have a good track record for the better end of Architecture, but I wonder if this will be in University control or if it will be developer led with all the race to the qualitative bottom that usually entails.

This building will be a massive impact, gateway piece of Architecture for Sheffield. It must be exceptional in its quality. The image in the article doesn't speak to me of such exceptionalism.

That's why I am saying lets be innovative lets have a chance for the people of Sheffield to put forward ideas, then let the experts look and expand on them. If it is the first thing people who arrive by train see, lets make it something that makes an impression and not just another drab tower block. Also we don't want a building that is going to cause problems like the one in Leeds where they have to close the roads in windy weather.

I think so, when we have hosted conferences its been a problem finding hotel rooms due to lack of capacity if many conferences are in town. However conference attendees do not usually stay in 5-star hotels...so in the cases I know of this hotel would be useless due to 5-star being far too expensive for peoples typical budgets.

Jury's Inn is perfectly reasonable as well, and the Novotel isn't terrible, although from the outside it looks rather drab.

My martial arts organisation runs a national competition here once a year and we find every year that hotel rooms are a little bit more sparse.

Last year we made the mistake of conflicting with a Phil Collins concert and we had people staying as far away as Chesterfield because there was nothing else available.

They are reasonable, they are not where you put your £3000/hr and upward keynote speakers. I've travelled a lot for work and even in places considerably smaller than Sheffield that are on the 'Conference' scene, there is a much better choice of high-end hotels available.

I consider St Pauls Tower to be a disaster. A truly ugly building and I find the way it imposes itself on the Town Hall to be unacceptable. Not sure if this link will work, but its a view of the Town Hall from Leopold Street where the tower looms over roof of the Town Hall.

Tastes differ, I am not a major fan of it, but it is good to have high rise in the city and it is certainly not ugly. Now the offices/restaurants in the complex are filled out it has created a really nice addition to the City Centre that I for one really welcome. On top of that, due to its placement it doesn't add considerable traffic pressure on the City Centre despite offering a large amount of decent (although still small) apartments.

........*among other things, 37 storeys would mean ... at least 1500 people needing transport at the start/end of each day. SCC is putting all it's transport eggs in the more-and-more cars basket. so that's another 500+ cars on the ring road at rush hour......

1500 people? Don't worry, there's 1500 taxis....well, that's what it feels like:)

once its completed it will be nice for visitors to the city to walk out of train station and think wow, instead of whats happened in past and they have probably walked out of train station and thought what the hell is this dump. Area around train station has had investment and this will compliment the work already done

Jury's inn and Novotel are definitely not high end hotels, not by a long shot.

St Pauls, Novotel, they're both 4*, Jurys Inn doesn't seem to have a star rating.

Also 4* The Hilton, Holiday Inn, Leopold.

We don't have a single 5* hotel though.

Still, to object to spending the night in a 4* hotel you'd have to be a pretty demanding keynote speaker or whoever it was that there was no where suitable for them to sleep.

---------- Post added 21-03-2018 at 08:26 ----------

Private companies that run these 'public' transport options won't create capacity until demand exists. They don't run with spare capacity just in case a new high rise gets built!

---------- Post added 21-03-2018 at 08:29 ----------

They are reasonable, they are not where you put your £3000/hr and upward keynote speakers. I've travelled a lot for work and even in places considerably smaller than Sheffield that are on the 'Conference' scene, there is a much better choice of high-end hotels available.

It was visiting professors as well wasn't it? I have a friend who's currently a senior lecturer and will make professor if he keeps going, I can't imagine him suddenly demanding 5* accomodation whenever he does to a conference.

It was visiting professors as well wasn't it? I have a friend who's currently a senior lecturer and will make professor if he keeps going, I can't imagine him suddenly demanding 5* accomodation whenever he does to a conference.

Most Universities won't pay for 5-star accommodation even for professors.

Story is different if a private company is paying for them to be there though.

Most Universities won't pay for 5-star accommodation even for professors.

Story is different if a private company is paying for them to be there though.

Or senior management, its well known the VC uses 5-star hotels. But yes - no professor I know would be able to afford a 5-star hotel on the travel money available to them.

So hardly a big issue on the conference scene that Sheffield doesn't have a 5* hotel then.