Burglars won't leave us alone

Do you think its worth hiding laptops, pcs and valuables in the loft whenever I leave the house?

I didn't go as far as hiding things in the loft, but I make sure the kids and my wife don't leave valuables on show, the kids kept leaving their ipads on the window ledge etc so anyone walking by could see. We don't do that anymore and I always close the blinds before bed or if we go out. Plus I have a very aggressive black cat :hihi:

That sounds like a tall tale, anything to prove it actually happened??

Vast majority are.

Professional burglars are almost always after the keys to your car, as the vast majority of stuff in peoples homes isn't actually worth very much (and isn't easy to sell)

Those that break in to steal old laptops and spare change are just looking for their next fix.

Old people get targeted as they are known to keep large sums of money and expensive jewellery laying around the house.

On that note, are car theft/burglaries lower on terraced streets (compared to houses with driveways), since it's not easy to tell which car belongs to which house? Or do they lie in wait and watch to see who goes where?

On that note, are car theft/burglaries lower on terraced streets (compared to houses with driveways), since it's not easy to tell which car belongs to which house? Or do they lie in wait and watch to see who goes where?

If they are professional car thieves looking for a particular high end car they will have definitely done their research and will know which house it belongs to. If they're chancing it or joy riders than they probably won't.

If they are professional car thieves looking for a particular high end car they will have definitely done their research and will know which house it belongs to. If they're chancing it or joy riders than they probably won't.

No, these are smack rats and crack heads! Looking for a fix because they're a disgrace to humanity with no education and will never find jobs.

No, these are smack rats and crack heads! Looking for a fix because they're a disgrace to humanity with no education and will never find jobs.

You're clearly rather ill-informed; let me help you...

a) Heroin and crack addicts are human beings

b) They look for their fix because they're ill. Their illness is drug addiction.

c) Many addicts are well educated.

d) Some addicts already have jobs, many will go on to find them on recovery.

So people you know are knocking on your door whilst pretending to be "milkmen and council guys"?

And they keep coming back, despite the fact that you know them, so you're clearly not going to be tricked by them...

And you've reported it to the police, who won't do anything?

---------- Post added 24-09-2017 at 09:04 ----------

And you have nothing for them to steal anyway?

The thing is there's nothing to take. They're wasting their time for a possible prison sentence. I know full well they're trying to burgle us! I'm not going into details but I know and I'm going to secure our home with alarms, better doors, cctv.

The police know about it but can't do anything until they've actually stole something.

The Theft Act specifically includes a section on Distraction Burglary.

Distraction burglary

In many cases an individual will deceive another to gain access to the premises by impersonating someone who represents a water, gas or electricity supplier. This is often termed ‘distraction burglary’ and will fall within s 9 of TA 1968.

And a section on attempted burglary.

You're clearly rather ill-informed; let me help you...

a) Heroin and crack addicts are human beings

b) They look for their fix because they're ill. Their illness is drug addiction.

c) Many addicts are well educated.

d) Some addicts already have jobs, many will go on to find them on recovery.

i agree with you Halibut,

But, you must agree that, there are the other kind as well.

So people you know are knocking on your door whilst pretending to be "milkmen and council guys"?

And they keep coming back, despite the fact that you know them, so you're clearly not going to be tricked by them...

And you've reported it to the police, who won't do anything?

---------- Post added 24-09-2017 at 09:04 ----------

And you have nothing for them to steal anyway?

No people I know are sending there friends (who I don't know) to knock on my door to make it look like it's not them.

Distraction is used as a means to gain entry and then to steal or with an intention to steal - it is not charged as any different offence than 'burglary' -

It might be me but there seems to be something missing in the factual circumstances here that means we can't make sense of what is actually going on.

If people, the same people, continually visited my house 'pretending' to work for the council / milkman (if there are many of those left) and seeking to get in my house by that method - I struggle to see the police doing nothing at all particularly if as the OP indicates - identification is not an issue because he knows them all.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

Distraction is used as a means to gain entry and then to steal or with an intention to steal - it is not charged as any different offence than 'burglary' -

It might be me but there seems to be something missing in the factual circumstances here that means we can't make sense of what is actually going on.

If people, the same people, continually visited my house 'pretending' to work for the council / milkman (if there are many of those left) and seeking to get in my house by that method - I struggle to see the police doing nothing at all particularly if as the OP indicates - identification is not an issue because he knows them all.

I've told the police there names when I phoned 101 5 times. I have reference numbers but all they've done so far is knock on the door to see if anyone is home.

No crime has been committed yet so police can't/won't do much.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

An attempted distraction burglary is a crime.

Cheers. I think I'm safe, anyway :D