The Turning On Of The Wicker:::

What a shambles if i have ever seen one.The so called council run event (which was sub-contacted) put i don't know how many thousands of tax payers money towards this without promoting it properly and actually leaving the WICKER itself out. They put a small stage behind the river which finding was a game of hide and seek.There main artist did'nt perform and when it came to the switching on of ladies bridge it was 6 lamposts 'no xmas deco, no kiddies fun fare rides, no burger vans selling hot drinks for the ppl on a cold night, bassically no NOTHING.The main bloke gave a droning speech saying that they had done this and done that when in fact many of the buisinesses down there haven't recieved any compensation or insurance.All buissinesses from the wicker was asked to keep open which they all did.The promoters didnt take the ppl of the city on a tour of the promotion so ALL BUSSINESSES OF THE WICKER should seek compensation from the council for staff costs, electricity costs any any other incured expences(taxis to and from premises, as you cant drive down there in your own car to park at your own establishment) and anything else you can think of..They will obviously hail there night as a success and have a celebration party on our money yet again....

It was very poor, shame about Richard Hawley not performing due to loosing his voice. Though in hindsight it was probably a good thing the event was so poorly advertised. It probably avoided a couple of thousand people turning up and been disappointed not to see Hawley sing. I agree Ian Auckland's speech was awful....I think he needs to go on a public speak course. Paul Scriven didn't even turn up? If you didn't count the Councillors, contractors and photographers, the crown "in numbers" turned out to be about 30 strong!

I agree the Wicker was left out but there's no need for burger vans with all the quality food outlets on the Wicker. We left once Hawley pulled the curtain and went to Marcia's for some Caribbean food and took it home.

The area does look great and the Council have done a good job, there's a lot of potential near those new buildings for some nice bars, cafes or restraints next to the river.

But all in all it was rubbish

ALL BUSSINESSES OF THE WICKER should seek compensation from the council for staff costs, electricity costs any any other incured expences(

Why? If I had a business in the area, i'd have been promoting the event my customers for weeks beforehand anyway, even if it was just flyers on the windors, in the current climate you'd be daft not to, surely? And at least one place got some extra business:

We left once Hawley pulled the curtain and went to Marcia's for some Caribbean food and took it home.

The area does look great and the Council have done a good job

Credit where credits due.....................................it was done by a private contractor. :hihi:

The area does look great and the Council have done a good job, there's a lot of potential near those new buildings for some nice bars, cafes or restraints next to the river.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, not only has the road itself been ruined but these awful new builds are totally out of character and would probably not even fit in a Soviet Union Council estate.
But all in all it was rubbish
Indeed.

Didn't hear of any events either... Doesn't look like I missed anything. Why decorate Wicker since it's no longer a thouroughfare? The point of that road is gone, no one'll go there anymore expect to go from one bus to another if you're into that kind of stuff.

Once again the city tries, but only makes a half hearted attempt, and fails. I'm really angry that this seems to happen all too often.

Was this what all the fireworks I could see near Victoria Quays last night were about? I had a great view of them and was wondering what was going on.

BTW, I also noticed that some of the new funky light-up benches around the Wicker have RED lights on their supports which face oncoming traffic on the roads;

Surely this is illegal? Red lights are supposed to indicate 'STOP' or the back of a moving vehicle or some other obstruction, and it will only confuse road-users?

Why? If I had a business in the area, i'd have been promoting the event my customers for weeks beforehand anyway, even if it was just flyers on the windors, in the current climate you'd be daft not to, surely? And at least one place got some extra business:

i don't think most of the businesses were told much about what was happening. there weren't any flyers, as far as i know.

Well, no - you wouldn't expect someone to create flyers for your business - you'd have to create your own!!!