Save our Libraries Day - 5th February

If there was ever a better example of where public money could be saved than our local library, then I would like to see it.

It is a very small library that only really caters for old people and small children, yet it is often manned by three people. When they get within 25 minutes of the closing time they start to fasten the shutters and generally to make people very unwelcome. This library could easily be run by a single person, thereby saving a fortune.

Only old people and small children!! And one person on their own responsible for looking after everyone, dealing with queries, answering phones, lunch breaks etc?

I'll be there. I worked for Sheffield Libraries through the 80s and 90s when the Tories cut the Rate Support Grant to Sheffield at the same time as trying to repeal the 1964 Public Libraries Act. We bought no new books for 3 years and closed 6 branch libraries. It took years for the library service to recover. I never want to see those days return and it looks as though they will, with a vengeance.

For those people who see no value in public libraries, I'd look hard and long at your lifestyle. If freedom of knowledge and information, self improvement and education isn't high on your list of priorities, that's fine. But you don't have the right to deny others the opportunity to experience them.

Poet, broadcaster and comedian Ian McMillan has been banned from appearing at a childrens' creative writing workshop by Sheffield City Council, over fears he might make "political comments".

http://sheffieldpolitics.com/2011/01/31/council-bans-poet-ian-mcmillan-from-library-event-due-to-fears-of-political-comments/

Well of course it would be inappropriate to make these comments at a Children's event wouldn't it so looks as though the right decision was made, though how they knew he may make it political it doesn't make clear.

On the Island they are closing 9 of our 11 libraries. A week last Saturday there was a protest in our main library where people went and took out as many books as they were able and emptied the library. They started with the Criminal Section as they feel that local councils are committing a Crime in closing libraries. Our Council are wanting volunteers to run the local libraries but at the same time are saying that the buildings will have to close - so how can volunteers run a library from a closed building!!!

If there was ever a better example of where public money could be saved than our local library, then I would like to see it.

Councilor's bloated salaries, inflation busting pay rises and index linked pensions could do with a bit of a pruning.

Unless of course you feel that institutionalized incompetence is something that should be rewarded at the expense of services?

I agree that staffing must be reduced. There are self-scanning machines for taking out books.

And as we all know, that's all the staff do.:roll:

When is the last time you went though? People want to save the libraries but not use them. Where does that leave the council?

I am not saying you don't, but I get annoyed with the folks that will happily say libraries need saving without having been for years. If you think they need saving, get your behind in gear and use them!

I usually visit my local library (Hillsborough) at least once a week. I visit the central library perhaps once a month. I've used libraries for 60 years, my mother introduced me to them when I was small, and now my pre-school age grandchildren visit their library. With all the improved technology available, it is possible there could be some efficiency savings, such as automatic scanners, but I'd hate to see libraries disappear. Free books, and now free computer access are things we all should value.

I'll try and make it on Saturday.

Self-scanning machines are a good idea for busy libraries, but many library staff do more than just check out books. I've found the advice and help of staff at the Local Studies Library in the Central Library absolutely invaluable in the past, especially when negotiating newspaper archives. Lose services like that, and we lose a font of local knowledge which would be really sad.

It's the CONDEM way, now, attack every possible method whereby the lower classes used to be able to drag themselves up and get a bite of the cherry.

What's left after the libraries? Internet tax, maybe?

Total libraries budget in 2010 / number of book loans = £3.41. I wonder what it would have cost to buy borrowers second-hand copies instead.

Libraries are definitely a good cause. I don't use the central library for borrowing, just for reference books and the local studies library which employs the most helpful staff.

I use my local branch library regularly. Surely they can't plan on closing any of the Sheffield libraries? I like being able to read a book and return it. Then it doesn't clutter my house and someone else gets to enjoy it. :thumbsup: