Discussions regarding Forgemasters retracted loan (Merged Threads)

The risk that it might not get the extra business.

Weighed up against the risk that we will stagnate or go backwards.

Sheffield is in danger of losing ground to competitors that it is vastly superior to.

Everyone is aware of current conditions,but it wont stop the excesses of the financial sector greed merchants, against which £80m investment is chicken feed

What has this got to do with the Deputy PM? His portfolio is completely seperate.

This is a matter for the Department of Business, Innovation and Skills and their Secretary of State. If you want to lobby anyone you'd be better going to the BIS offices next to Ha Ha Bar where the Civil Servants who will likely make this decision work.

By the looks of it Paul Blomfield MP is leading the campaign for Forgemasters: http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2010-06-03a.564.0&m=40618

Also the 800 jobs aren't at threat. It's about expansion, not a bail out.

It is very important to Sheffield manufacturing and Sheffield jobs that Forgemasters get the loan. There is much to be lost or won here. If they get the loan maybe I shall begin to give Clegg some of the lost respect back. If they do not Clegg is a traitor and all Sheffield should treat him as such. He has the chance here to show that he cares about his roots.

Banks got bailed out when they made massive losses, why should not a profit making company receive assistance?

What has this got to do with the Deputy PM? His portfolio is completely seperate.

This is a matter for the Department of Business, Innovation and Skills and their Secretary of State. If you want to lobby anyone you'd be better going to the BIS offices next to Ha Ha Bar where the Civil Servants who will likely make this decision work.

By the looks of it Paul Blomfield MP is leading the campaign for Forgemasters: http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2010-06-03a.564.0&m=40618

Also the 800 jobs aren't at threat. It's about expansion, not a bail out.

All i am hoping is if Clegg has the ear of the PM he will do all he can to make the deal come to fruition.

I dont think Blomfield carries much weight with Clegg,but lets hope theres no grudges held.

Banks got bailed out when they made massive losses, why should not a profit making company receive assistance?

Sounds like we are back to Tory 'monetarism' again. Feed the fat greedy bankers and to hell with industry. Cameron is Thatcher mk 2. Forgemasters is irreplaceable, ask most engineers. Their expertise is second to none. Not be long before South Yorks is desolate again and all the govt. will care about is the South East. Dont depend on Clegg to support us, he wouldn't recognise an engineer if he saw one. He just sits in Camerons pocket pretending to be important, the useless pillock.

It is very important to Sheffield manufacturing and Sheffield jobs that Forgemasters get the loan. There is much to be lost or won here. If they get the loan maybe I shall begin to give Clegg some of the lost respect back. If they do not Clegg is a traitor and all Sheffield should treat him as such. He has the chance here to show that he cares about his roots.

lol....so what your saying is...... clegg is at the heart of sheffield, and it is him alone who causes all the problems, and him alone who sorts them. Ummmmm.....does anyone else see something wrong with that. Ive always thought there are more people in sheffield than one man, or am i wrong?

I was just thinking, dangerous I know :) Could Mandleson be that underhanded, that he granted the loan knowing that labour would lose, in so doing giving the tories a head ache in this part of the uk, when it comes to cuts? Which would mean, the tories are hated if they dont do the loan, and sheffield stays a labout place.

I was just thinking, dangerous I know :) Could Mandleson be that underhanded, that he granted the loan knowing that labour would lose, in so doing giving the tories a head ache in this part of the uk, when it comes to cuts? Which would mean, the tories are hated if they dont do the loan, and sheffield stays a labout place.

Thats as silly as saying its already a done deal but Clegg wants a big announcement so that he can big up himself and Scriven, at the same time doing his party no harm in Sheffield.

Better to stick to facts.

By turnover I assume you mean profit, there's quite a difference between the 2...

Sorry I did mean turnover but on reading it again the article says profit. so that is slightly better but still not great for an £80m loan.

lol....so what your saying is...... clegg is at the heart of sheffield, and it is him alone who causes all the problems, and him alone who sorts them. Ummmmm.....does anyone else see something wrong with that. Ive always thought there are more people in sheffield than one man, or am i wrong?

Yes. But is nothing new to you.

Sounds like we are back to Tory 'monetarism' again. Feed the fat greedy bankers and to hell with industry .

did we ever stop having tory monetarism?

it was new labour who bailed out the banks, for the very good reason that had they been allowed to fail the uk and world economy would have crashed and we would not be having this conversation because the internet would no lomger exist