Old Town Hall campaign

Old Town Hall Campaign (BBC)

An excellent initiative in my humble opinion, buildings like this deserve a better faith. The eternal issue is that a building like this, due to its listed status, is difficult to make economically viable - what would people like to see happen with it?

In my, again humble, opinion, the developer should be allowed to just leave the external shell and be allowed to build high quality apartments inside, that should fit with the proposed development of the Castle Square area - perhaps with some high quality restaurant/bar on the ground floor?

The issue is with its location, Waingate is a bus only route, so parking is a big issue, perhaps the council can come up with a scheme to allow destination traffic only?

For an idea of what state it has been allowed to fall into: Urbex

There are plenty of flats with zero parking in the city centre aren't there??

and businesses as well I'd imagine - so I can't see it being a major issue.

I agree, the building itself deserves to stay.

It's not like the brutalist concrete monstrosities that plague the city.

We would have been better served by saving the whole area inc the Markets.

An area that has been used for meeting and trading for a thousand years now destroyed by stone sniffers.

We would have been better served by saving the whole area inc the Markets.

An area that has been used for meeting and trading for a thousand years now destroyed by stone sniffers.

The castle market building is a massive disgusting heap of concrete, it wasn't very well build in the first place so needs alot of work.

Utter waste of money attempting to save that building, knock it flat before any other idiots get ideas about using it.

It's criminal that a beautiful building like this is just left to decay. It would make an excellent visitors centre or vintage shopping centre. I personally wouldn't like to see it turned into flats, but if that was the only option would rather that happen than see it destroyed. Too many beautiful buildings in Sheffield have been demolished.

---------- Post added 08-01-2015 at 11:27 ----------

Funny, I'd just been reading this thread then this link popped up on my Facebook wall: https://friendsofothsheffield.wordpress.com/2015/01/08/friends-of-old-town-hall-official-statement/

Interesting film MrsMozzy thank you for sharing

I always thought this was the old law courts building. I didn't realise it was the town hall.

https://www.facebook.com/OTHSheffield

https://friendsofothsheffield.wordpress.com/2014/12/29/19th-century-timeline/

We value your ideas. If this building is to be saved it has to have a viable future. It will be a big job. Take a lot of time and money. However we already have had a lot of media interest and encouragement form English Heritage. We think it is worth giving it a go. Several suggestions have been put as a Museum and restaurant, performance and rehearsal rooms, offices or back pack hostel in 1950s wing. There will be professional appraisal of Building soon from a expert in the field. If you'd like to join on the supporters list get in touch and I will put you on the mailing list. We hope to have a major event in March for supporters and members of the public.

I would expect offices would be the most logical use of the building considering the plans for the rest of the area are for exactly that. If the current owners are just going to sit on the asset then the council should arrange for a compulsory purchase and redevelopment inline with what's happening in the rest of the area, same goes for Castle House.

I always thought this was the old law courts building. I didn't realise it was the town hall.

After the town hall moved it became the law courts, after the law courts moved the building appears to have been sold off. It's scandalous that a listed building was treated so shabbily by a government organisation, when a listed building is sold off it should be done so with an expressed purpose.

About time someone tried to save this building!! Its disgraceful its been allowed to sit and fall into this state for so long. Seems like this is what happens now, some company will buy a building, leave it until its too far gone (as it usually costs a lot to restore) , tear it down then develop the land like ''oops sorry guys didn't mean for it to fall down''.

I hope it isn't turned into yet more boring tiny flats and i also hope as much of the interior can be saved as possible. such a shame to see craftsmanship of that quality be torn out and replaced with bland square boxes. which seems to be what has happened to the majority of old buildings in Sheffield, just a facade n then you walk inside and everything that made the building special is gone. Kinda like a movie set where it looks like a building but is really just an outside wall.

https://www.facebook.com/OTHSheffield

https://friendsofothsheffield.wordpress.com/2014/12/29/19th-century-timeline/

We value your ideas. If this building is to be saved it has to have a viable future. It will be a big job. Take a lot of time and money. However we already have had a lot of media interest and encouragement form English Heritage. We think it is worth giving it a go. Several suggestions have been put as a Museum and restaurant, performance and rehearsal rooms, offices or back pack hostel in 1950s wing. There will be professional appraisal of Building soon from a expert in the field. If you'd like to join on the supporters list get in touch and I will put you on the mailing list. We hope to have a major event in March for supporters and members of the public.

I assume you are involved Duckweed, just wanted to say thank you for your efforts. Joining the FB page.