Where can I buy Bengal matches in Sheffield?

It's been a while since I lit one but I recall it was like striking twenty matches at once!

if i remember correctly they were also wrapped in paper inside the matchbox which meant that the bulk of the paper together with the thickness of the phosphorus (surely some magnesium as well?) meant that you only got a few in a box.

Happy days - and what about mini rockets as well?

I'm guessing here, but didn't there used to be a type of match that could be lit by rubbing against the other matches in the box, so the box could just spontaneously burst into flames if agitated (in your pocket, for instance), whereas 'safety' matches could only be lit by scraping against the strip on the outside of the packet. Was that them, and is that why they were banned?

Or am I just talking a lot of addled old bobbins?

were they brown and a club shape, supposed to be windproof ?

yeah you're right about the indian club shape - whether they were windproof i don't know. I guess they were banned because once lit you couldn't put them out by blowing on them unlike ordinary matches.

Is that all? So whats so special about them then?

Listen. Back in the 1960's they were a treat to have on Bonfire Night! Something that you could safely *hold*, like a sparkler. On the same sort of subject, does anyone remember Jumping Jack fireworks? I spent many a happy hour being chased around our backyard by those! No wonder you can't get them any more.

I once lit one in the Pictures for a dare. hehe

I want some now.

It's funny how we're asking the same Q! I wondered what they were too. :)

Maybe I've been on the SF too long. I bet it won't take long before our periods are in sync. lol...

(There's a theory somewhere about that.)