Supertram problems

With some trams carrying standing loads it hardly matters when most cars are carrying 1.25 passengers , 4 car lengths equal 1 tram .

Twice as long :hihi:

That'll be fun, jumping down at the front and back where they don't fit into the stops. And all the junctions they'll block when stopped at signals.

Re:Leppings lane, get the tram 10 mins earlier, it's a lot quieter.

---------- Post added 22-12-2017 at 13:03 ----------

That's simply not true is it.

So when there's 2 or more trams waiting to get into Hillsborough tram stop and stopping all the traffic waiting behind them for a few minutes at a time, this doesn't cause traffic?

Likewise with signals for trams having priority and giving general traffic less time on their sequence, this is what backs Holme Lane up etc.

---------- Post added 22-12-2017 at 13:09 ----------

Biggest problem with the Trams is that they are there at all, holding up the motorists.

Angel1.

Well said! :hihi::cool:

Peasant waggons on rails haha :hihi:

The reason there are trams following each other are caused by one man cars jamming the streets , maybe if these people in their polluting metal boxes used public transport we would all move around a lot quicker .

---------- Post added 22-12-2017 at 16:25 ----------

Shall we replace one tram with 50 cars every 10 minutes then you will know what real congestion is like .

9 times out of 10 it's the trams that cause the congestion, particularly in the Hillsborough area.

There were far more cars than usual today. I had to drive through at lunchtime, I could have walked much more quickly. I can see the tramgates returning to 24/6 with only Sundays giving free access to Middlewood/Langsett Road.

Plus all the new trams are apparently out of action as they cant cope with ice/frost/snow

The one I was on the other week had a puncture.

So SCC cant go round whacking GPS on buses and trams, thank you for confirming.

Although I imagine, if they were inclined to, they could require SYPTE to stipulate it as a condition of the public transport contracts in Sheffield. The reason we elect representatives is to get this sort of thing done.

Maybe if there weren't so many buses (120, 52, 51) going up and down West Street and causing the blue and yellow trams to be delayed (and vice versa) then the service maybe could improve. High frequency routes all on the same road doesn't work.

Delays on West Street are normally later on in the evening and caused by taxis

Re:Leppings lane, get the tram 10 mins earlier, it's a lot quieter.

The earlier trams are just as bad at recently Cyclone. I get on at Middlewood and you used to be pretty much guaranteed a seat any time, but not now. By the time we get to Leppins lane it's often a struggle even for people to get on.

Guest busdriver1
Although I imagine, if they were inclined to, they could require SYPTE to stipulate it as a condition of the public transport contracts in Sheffield. The reason we elect representatives is to get this sort of thing done.

If there were contracts that might be relevant but since most services are commercially run with only minor interference from local authorities it has no chance.

So when there's 2 or more trams waiting to get into Hillsborough tram stop and stopping all the traffic waiting behind them for a few minutes at a time, this doesn't cause traffic?

Likewise with signals for trams having priority and giving general traffic less time on their sequence, this is what backs Holme Lane up etc.

---------- Post added 22-12-2017 at 13:09 ----------

Well said! :hihi::cool:

Peasant waggons on rails haha :hihi:

Wow, what a wealthy and important person you must be to have a car, and not have to use a 'peasant wagon'

Maybe if you thought a bit harder you might realise the reason for all the traffic, of which you are a part, is yours and others attitude to transport.

The earlier trams are just as bad at recently Cyclone. I get on at Middlewood and you used to be pretty much guaranteed a seat any time, but not now. By the time we get to Leppins lane it's often a struggle even for people to get on.

When I was working, I resorted to walking to Malin Bridge in the morning. I preferred the walk to standing for most of my journey if I got on at Leppings Lane on an early tram.

Traffic which is going where, straight into a tram junction it can't pass through?

It's very rare to have 2 trams so close together anyway, and only happens when car traffic has already caused large amounts of congestion.

There might be some truth to that, except Holme lane backs up in both directions just due to the volume of traffic on it, it doesn't appear to have anything to do with the lights at Hillsborough corner.

And if the tram magically disappeared and those 2 full trams of people all suddenly had a car each, how long do you think the queue you've attributed to the tram would become? There are over 200 people on each full tram, that's 400 cars in the queue in front of you, each car is 2 metres long, plus (generously) a metre of tarmac between cars is 1.2km of queue.

The tram is what, 40m long, 2 of them, with a breaking gap, less than 100 metres.

So you think that adding 1.1km of usage to the road (and that's just a snapshot of 2 trams) will somehow reduce the queue length you're in.

Perhaps you should stop whining and get on the tram for an easier journey.

---------- Post added 23-12-2017 at 09:02 ----------

I only catch it occasionally instead of cycling, but at 0730 ish (to 0745) I can always get a seat at Middlewood Rd.

Edited by Cyclone