Memories Of Walkley

The bloke who died whilst cutting someones hair must have been old Mr Binks.

There was a gents hairdressers opposite the library (Toms I believe) where the hairdresser choked on his false teeth.

Mr Binks cut my hair for me when I joined the army in 1966, I was the only recruit who didn't need a haircut at the start of basic training.

We lived at 41 walkley st in the late 60s- early 70s, does anyone remember amblers butcher further down the road? [we still owe him a few quid for all the meat we had on tick] :)
Colin Amblers Brother (Ted) worked on BT with me in the 80s.

JOSE LOY,MYRNA LOY,JACK LOY all lived at 111 Daniel hill street oposite the bakery and next door to the bakery..they lived there from the 1930s until the 1950s and 1960s when they flew the nest. Most of the topics above are recalled by them..thanks for the memories.........

Next to the library used to be a newsagents, the name escapes me...

My memories of Walkley don't go back to the 1950s (my uncle lived on Cundy Street in the 1960s) but in the 1973 directory it is shown as Bushforth's.

My memories of Walkley don't go back to the 1950s (my uncle lived on Cundy Street in the 1960s) but in the 1973 directory it is shown as Bushforth's.

Sorry hillsboro', you aren't allowed on this site, you are welcome to read it and I'm sure you will have some Photos for us but actually commenting, I'm not sure.

Perhaps anything north of Walkley St and the bottom of walkley lane, will be OK.

While I'm on, If Crookes reads this then, keep your comments South of Heavygate and the Bole Hills please.

We are a proud lot from Walkley and endeavour to maintain a pure Walkley Race.

Colin Amblers Brother (Ted) worked on BT with me in the 80s.

I recall Eric Ambler a bit younger than me at Bole Hill School.

Another walkley character I remember was Fred Deplage (Sp.)

When I was about 10, he would shout after me, Nathen Carrots. When I was 25 and not ginger anymore, I'd still get Nathen Carrots. He used to tell me tales about my dad and grandad poaching.

If he is still with us he will be 70 odd now.

I also rember Ron and Norman Goff friends of my dad.

Ron lived off South Rd. Might have been Industry Street, went everywhere on a motorbike, triumph I think. My dad said he was 21 stone when he was 21

I can still picture him engulfing the bike when he sat on it.

There was also a man lived somewhere at the far end of Bole Hill Rd, he used to walk about in an RAF battle dress Jachet with his arm stuck down the back of his neck. As kids we'd poke fun at him, I've no idea who he was or what his story was.

I recall Eric Ambler a bit younger than me at Bole Hill School.

I also rember Ron and Norman Goff friends of my dad.

Ron lived off South Rd. Might have been Industry Street, went everywhere on a motorbike, triumph I think. My dad said he was 21 stone when he was 21

The Amblers that we're talking about had a butchers shop on Daniel Hill Street (continuation of walkley St).

Regarding the guy in Industry St yes I remember him; quite big looked like he was riding a little BSA Bantam when in fact it was a big twin.

The Amblers that we're talking about had a butchers shop on Daniel Hill Street (continuation of walkley St).

Regarding the guy in Industry St yes I remember him; quite big looked like he was riding a little BSA Bantam when in fact it was a big twin.

Tiger 110 I think

Tiger 110 I think
If there'd been a 'Royal Society For The prevention Of Cruelty To Motor Cycles' he'd have been shot at dawn for what he did.:D

(Only Joking)

I live in Palm Street 1963-68 and the name sounds familiar.

We live in Parsonage Street from 68 to 86 but my wife lived in Industry Street from 45 to 66 . hillsbro is that Bushforth's refering to the paper shop as I seem to recall Alan Rushforth having the paper shop when I moved up there in 68 he used to go on holiday to Moscow a few times way back then as I worked abroad quite a lot at that time but I was intrigued by his photo's of Red Square etc. which he would show me as I used to bulk buy my full strength from him as you could not get them abroad or duty free and I was usually in his shop for around half a hour rabbiting.Brenda my wife worked at Slacks bread shop from about 80 untill we moved in 86

I remember Rushforths hardwhare shop opposite St Mary's Church, they had a big Parrafine tank in the backyard.