Hinde House Comprehensive

Funny enough Timo since I left Hinde House in 1975 I have always be intrigued by Edwards and would love to read about the man himself , where and how he lived away from school, what was he like to his family and despite everything bad about him he is an interesting subject.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone who knew him outside or maybe a teacher from his generation who could shed light on the man himself.

Edwards has a face you never forget.

I am inspired to open a thread on him.

Well Edwards I know lived on the outskirts (then) of Sheffield in some god forsaken outpost possibly a bit like Hadfield ;-)) but it was probably more like Dronfield. But certainly far enough away to be safeish from kids hell bent on revenge. My workmate has just got hold of the I didnt know you cared dvd,s and memories of the now demolished bits of Sheffield that were down the bank from Hinde House came flooding back. Basically at the end of the 60's that bit of Sheffield was a haunting mixture of what was, and what was to come (and now I hear they have demolished the hole in the road in't City Centre). Anybody remember Sutherland Rd Baths? Also, longshot is there anybody up here who witnessed Jimi Hendrix Experience at The City Hall in November of 67?

Wow, you took a long time to reply to that! :hihi:

Welcome back to the forum by the way :wave:

Hey thanks Ally68, and for the smileys. Yes I pride myself on my tardiness ;-))

Drop us a direct email at wickerman@mail.com if you like.

Sheffuld rools oK!!!

Anybody remember Sutherland Rd Baths?

I do lived on the corner up the road from them

Me Mum had a towel swimming costume & sixpence waiting for us when we came home from school.

We all used to dash off to the baths- used to Be Mr Scott that taught swimming, Does anyone remember him?

Hi everybody,I was at Hinde House from 1966 to 73 and left just before the riot.Anybody remember the football match at the sports ground opposite concord sports centre when a few Hinde Housers started hitting anything that moved,teachers included?The Physics teacher was called Mr Priestly I think?

Remember all the teachers mentioned on here especially Gregorian who went mental in one lesson when somebody said the word crap.According to her it was on a par with the F word.Mr Martin was cool let all us 6th formers call him by his first name (David) and used to regale us with stories of London (Carnaby Street etal) in the late 50's early 60's As for Edwards I was one of the unfortunates who felt his wrath.He dragged me out in front of the class and preceded to slag of me and then my mother for no apparent reason a truly odious man.

Hi was at Hinde House from about 68 to 72. Remember some of the names already mentioned. Was in the same form as Janet South, Elaine Self Gill ? Susan Davies, Katheryn Earnshaw. Anyone remember these people. Have to mention I left before the riot!!!!!

Luckily for me I never made it for the Sept 70 term, I do remember (does anyone else) having to make the trek from the youngsters bit of the school (Skoil) up to the main bit, was it for Friday morning assembly and that is when you would as a youngster get to see the feared Edwards, I didnt know much about him other than I didnt want to tangle with him. Anyone remember a little guy with jet black hair who loved playing pennies at lunchtime, his name was Frank Norman, and I used to skip school at lunchtime with Frank and visit this bombed out warzone that had a chip oil, and thats where my tanner (or was it 1/6d) that should have bought the lunch ticket (recall those). There were some very cool teachers amongst the ones that were close to a nervous breakdown. Does anyone recall, I think it might have been early 69 when another school, was it Burngreave, closed down and that meant that us 12/13 year olds had a load of 14/15 year olds from there descend upon us, and they were completely cracked roughnecks, I think I spent the second term learning how to fight. Studio 7 down in Attercliffe comes to mind, as does sneaking into Easy Rider which was x rated in a probably long demolished cinema not that far from Firth Park, anyone remember which one it might have been? I do remember being very proud that Joe Cocker who was on top of the pops was from Sheffield, and t'Grease Band. David Tate, Stewart Taylor (lipper) was my mate, and there were a couple of gals in the class who I was hot for!!! I lived on Abbeyfield Rd in Pitsmoor (I was born there too) dont quite now what goes on in Pitsmoor now, had a fight on the top of the double decker on the way home one day, with get this, a very tough very mean, and very strong black girl, who ended up taking her shoe off and whacking me on the skull with it, I think I got one good shot in and then jumped off the bus a bit quick :-)), who knows I probably deserved it.

Cycleracer, yes I can see your point too regarding Edwards' treatment of the self-styled hardmen. The problem was that the man used the same treatment on often usually well-behaved, and sometimes innocent pupils. His treatment of female pupils was as bad as his treatment of the boys. I once saw him drag a girl by the throat. She was absolutely terrified. Her crime? Daring to play a little tune on the school piano at break! If it were not so tragic, it would be almost funny.

Of course, teachers like this leave themselves open to revenge by former pupils. As a tutor myself, I always keep in mind the appalling examples set by those such as our sinister, caped sadist, and I try to treat students with kindness and respect. Although, to be fair, I teach adults who CHOOSE to be there. I have no doubt that Edwards had a daunting task as head of such a large, sprawling school. I know that a minority of the pupils certainly did require firm handling, but he revelled in causing terror. On reflection, such a man deserves our pity just as much as our contempt.

I've read through all the posts and I can't believe I was at the same school.Torturing hedgehogs and frogs,jumping up and down for Jesus,graffitti on the walls and finally a bloody riot.The mind boggles.What interests me though, is why all the long term teachers who moved up from Owler Lane left in the three years between my year graduating and this thread starting.For those of you who don't know, the entire student and faculty body of Owler Lane Intermediate moved to Hinde House in September '63.The principal,of course,was the notorious Mr E who hadn't been at Owler Lane long but Mrs Fairest (history),Mr Glasby (music),Mr Pashley(French and Math)Mr Holmes (physics),Mr Priest(chemistry),

Mr Crownshaw(metalwork) and Mr Harrison(commerce) had all been at Owler Lane for years and although they were not young they were nowhere near retirement age yet none of you lot who started in '68 has mentioned them.What happened I wonder?In-fighting with the staff already at HH?(most of the teachers mentioned were ranking staff members at HH before we arrived),were the new not-having-passed-the-11 plus intake too rough?or was it Mr E's autocratic style?Something strange happened,that's for sure.By the way,I'd love to know more about the riot.In great detail if poss.

priest

Seem to remember hearing at the time that the riot started because someone was wearing the wrong coloured socks and was sent home but refused and the riot began.Sounds implausible but knowing Edwards believeable at the same time.

I remember Edwards , he was the most horrid man I've ever met, I was dragged into his office one day for chewing gum, my Mum came to school and hit him with her handbag and for a split second I thought he was going to hit her back, the only nice teacher's I remember there were , Miss Air who took us for gym oh and Mr Anderson who now work's at Yewlands, Mr Thompson and Mr Keaton , I think Mr Keaton was the maths teacher but if you mentioned the war to him we ended up doing history instead haha,

after my run in with Edwards I don't think I went to school for the last 12 months , he was a total bully

Just come across this thread. I was at Hinde House 1956 -1960. I see Mr Ridgeway has been mentioned. He is still in good health and attends the reunions we hold every year for those of us who went to Hinde House when it first opened in 1956. At the 50th anniversary celebration we had in Sept 2006 he cut the cake.

John

Anybody remember Sutherland Rd Baths?

I do lived on the corner up the road from them

Me Mum had a towel swimming costume & sixpence waiting for us when we came home from school.

We all used to dash off to the baths- used to Be Mr Scott that taught swimming, Does anyone remember him?

I remember Scot the swimming teach , some liked him some didn't , I got on with him , went in swimming competition's thank's to him

Hi everyone

I attended HH 1969/72. Allbeit a short period I do have vivid recollections of the dreaded Mr E and his deputy Spam. Does anyone remember Mr Butterworth - English and the wife and husband pair who taught commerce? If you have any fond memories of these guys please share.

Anyone know of Pat Whitehouse and Susan **** and Diane whose mother was a typing teacher? Also Everton Lawrence, Lloyd and Brian Galloway, Lindy Shawsmith, Valerie Neita, Eula Treasure, Jean Parson, Barbara Patterson, Claudette Richards, Kieth Lannaman, **** Hamilton.

Any news about these and anyone else from that era would be much appreciated. Indeed any news about anybody - so long as it's as entertaining as the above offerings.