Who are the Don Valley Railway?

Upcoming Events - for those interested...

April 9th 2005 - Stocksbridge Library 10am-2pm

Come along and talk to us at our Open day at Stocksbridge Library on April 9th. See our plans and talk to the committee. There will be a table-top sale and a free raffle.

19th June 2005 - Deepcar Gala

3rd July 2005 - Midhope Gala

We will be at both of these events publicising our plans. It is a great opportunity for you to come and support us!

Going full 'steam' ahead I see :)

:clap:

Originally posted by Internetowl

yawn - well said - its never going to be a goer - if there was any mileage in it the rail companies would still be sending trains that way - as they are not - its fair to say its probably not viable...even with the Thomas the Tank engine pulling from the front..

Check out their website and then convince me otherwise....

You really do have some kind of problem dont you?

If was not for dedicated volunteers donating their time, alot of services and charities we have today would not be here today.So we would be a much poorer society without their help. Several closed railway lines around the UK have been restored with voluntary help. North Yorkshire moors Railway,North Norfolk Railway, Wensleysdale Railway to name 3.

Well internet owl, to say you think they're a bunch of loonies,

youve took the trouble to visit their site and seem to know all the info on forthcoming events etc.

now why would you do that. ?

...if there was any mileage in it the rail companies would still be sending trains that way - as they are not - its fair to say its probably not viable...

Not necessarily, these guys are a not-for-profit organisation whose interest is based on their own passions. Railway companies are <i>only</i> interested in making profit.

For those interested they have just updated thier website...aparently they have got 400 signatures on a petition to re-open the line.....www.donvalleyrailway.org

A bunch of train spotting loonies at Stocksbridge who want to turn the train line into a tourist venture...

Just to add to the talk about the aspirations of the DVR, can I say that a group that includes retired senior civil servants, transport consultants, engineers, businessmen and has a local MP as President should be described as a bunch of train spotting loonies. Their plans are realistic and it is a shame that such groups that are trying to do something positive for their local communities should be dismissed so disrespectfully. But then, that’s easy to do isn’t it?

Well I for one think it's a great idea, i've printed off the petition sheet thats available on their webaite and will take it to the local post office tomorrow.

If everyone* takes 5 minutes to do that it might make a surprising difference :)

*Those with chronic pessimism omitted

Originally posted by beansforyou

Well I for one think it's a great idea, i've printed off the petition sheet thats available on their webaite and will take it to the local post office tomorrow.

If everyone* takes 5 minutes to do that it might make a surprising difference :)

*Those with chronic pessimism omitted

It is good to see that there is some community spirit left in the world......:)

Any further info on these people???? :suspect: