Who are the Don Valley Railway?

Hi all

I have heard the name "Don Valley Railway" bounded about a lot recently. Does anyone know who they are and what they do???

Cheers!

A =)

A bunch of train spotting loonies at Stocksbridge who want to turn the train line into a tourist venture...

Train spotting loonies?

What is wrong with turning a railway line into a tourist venture?

They have a nice idea, but I don't think they will ever have the finances or the influence to pull it off.

They are wanting to establish commuter trains between Deepcar and town on the existing and underused line. And restore old stations along the way, and run occasional steam engines.

http://www.donvalleyrailway.org/

Surely a venture like this would create job opportunities abound.

And steam trains you say, wouldn't that bring the tourists in.

It would be a great shame if they can't get financial backing

for this.

Mind you , didnt the North yorkshire moors railway start off with nothing, and look at it now.

Originally posted by tara

Surely a venture like this would create job opportunities abound.

And steam trains you say, wouldn't that bring the tourists in.

It would be a great shame if they can't get financial backing

for this.

Mind you , didnt the North yorkshire moors railway start off with nothing, and look at it now.

Yeah, i thought that NYMR started with not much more than two pennies to rub together!?

From the website I can see the potential for job opportunities, and tourists cant be a bad thing for Stocksbridge!?

I think it would be a great idea, not only for the reasons already mentioned, but have you ever tried using the main road into Sheffield from Stocksbridge, especially at rush hour?

More and more houses are being thrown up

No thought is going into the logistics of getting people from A to B

Maybe they could also teach the few hundred more children living in this area whilst being on the train too? as no extra schools are being built.

Originally posted by beansforyou

I think it would be a great idea, not only for the reasons already mentioned, but have you ever tried using the main road into Sheffield from Stocksbridge, especially at rush hour?

More and more houses are being thrown up

No thought is going into the logistics of getting people from A to B

Maybe they could also teach the few hundred more children living in this area whilst being on the train too? as no extra schools are being built.

Yeah, more houses, same road....makes no sense really?

Well that killed the conversation....:suspect:

Originally posted by Internetowl

A bunch of train spotting loonies at Stocksbridge who want to turn the train line into a tourist venture...

Can I ask what your hobby is? Lets assume it is X. Then I can make a comment such as "People who enjoy 'X' are a bunch of loonies and deserved to be locked up'

All because you don't share the same enthusiasm for someones hobby, it doesn't make them a loony. Infact it makes you ignorant for not being able to respect that the person has a passion for something.

The trainline from Stocksbridge to Sheffield is a fantastic idea, the road is always busy especially as you get into middlewood, and taking the bus isn't the most fantastic form of public transport.

Originally posted by Skatiechik

Can I ask what your hobby is? Lets assume it is X. Then I can make a comment such as "People who enjoy 'X' are a bunch of loonies and deserved to be locked up'

All because you don't share the same enthusiasm for someones hobby, it doesn't make them a loony. Infact it makes you ignorant for not being able to respect that the person has a passion for something.

The trainline from Stocksbridge to Sheffield is a fantastic idea, the road is always busy especially as you get into middlewood, and taking the bus isn't the most fantastic form of public transport.

Well said Skatiechik :thumbsup:

yawn - well said - its never going to be a goer - if there was any mileage in it the rail companies would still be sending trains that way - as they are not - its fair to say its probably not viable...even with the Thomas the Tank engine pulling from the front..

Check out their website and then convince me otherwise....