Best real ale pubs in Chesterfield

I'd say the Chesterfield Arms is worth a special trip as well, not to mention a crawl round a few places on the Brampton Mile.

As to Pete Brown, he really is a silly boy isn't he? Managed to walk straight past the White Swan and Rutland Arms in order to write a hit piece about a place that very obviously isn't going to serve any good beer.

I actually managed to see some of his talk at the Thornbridge "Peakender" festival. I lost interest when he claimed that Stella was a good beer 15 years ago. Even back then I always strongly disliked the stuff.

Well in his defence I probably thought Stella was a good beer 15 years ago as well... Although it's more likely if you make it 20! Tastes change and corporate push for profits has weakened it. I'm sure it used to be 5.4% when I started drinking it. But then I remember when Punk IPA was 6% too...

To be honest I could just about cope with Pete (who is from Barnsley originally and can still be seen in my local from time to time) when he took up 'beer and food' matching. But recently his 'beer and music' matching has just gone a step too far. I mean I like a range of beers and a range of music. And I have never had a problem drinking a Brewdog Dogma whilst listeing to System of a Down, or sipping an Evil Twin Molotov Cocktail whilst mellowing to Joss Stone. Or Vice Versa.

Well in his defence I probably thought Stella was a good beer 15 years ago as well... Although it's more likely if you make it 20! Tastes change and corporate push for profits has weakened it. I'm sure it used to be 5.4% when I started drinking it. But then I remember when Punk IPA was 6% too...

To be honest I could just about cope with Pete (who is from Barnsley originally and can still be seen in my local from time to time) when he took up 'beer and food' matching. But recently his 'beer and music' matching has just gone a step too far. I mean I like a range of beers and a range of music. And I have never had a problem drinking a Brewdog Dogma whilst listeing to System of a Down, or sipping an Evil Twin Molotov Cocktail whilst mellowing to Joss Stone. Or Vice Versa.

15 years ago I was a student down in Essex, and the solitary bitter drinker among many lager & alcopop drinkers. Can remember well enough being one of the few people back then who never brought into the Stella Artois marketing.

And I suppose beer and music matching is quite pretentious, but it's not the only example of beery pretentiousness out there. Citra hop scented beard balm anyone? http://drinkupcolumbus.com/2014/07/30/beerded-beard-balm-hops/

15 years ago I was a student down in Essex, and the solitary bitter drinker among many lager & alcopop drinkers. Can remember well enough being one of the few people back then who never brought into the Stella Artois marketing.

And I suppose beer and music matching is quite pretentious, but it's not the only example of beery pretentiousness out there. Citra hop scented beard balm anyone? http://drinkupcolumbus.com/2014/07/30/beerded-beard-balm-hops/

Oh nice... as long as you want real ale fans coming up and licking your beard....

I did notice that the Closed Shop once had some citra hopped chilli sauce which I did think was rather nice - but failed to note the brand or ask where they got it from.

I did notice that the Closed Shop once had some citra hopped chilli sauce which I did think was rather nice - but failed to note the brand or ask where they got it from.

I'd guess it was homemade? the other pubs in the huge Reet Pubs empire (both of them...) make their own chilli sauces, can't definitely speak for Closed Shop though as I still haven't been other than to deliver beer!

Rutland arms used to be good. Mind you the market used to be good too. That said The Market pub was always solid. Been a while though!

Both pubs in the same day, preferably..

I also recommend the Ale House on Chatsworth Road. Unfortunately don't go into the town centre much though.

The Ale House is on West Bars. Its a great place but be aware of the hours. It closes at 10pm.

---------- Post added 21-08-2014 at 18:55 ----------

Yes, I know this section is about going out in Sheffield but I reckon it is the most appropriate.

Me and my OH are going to Chesterfield on Friday ostensibly to visit the quaint old town and have a look at the market but really to have a bit of a pub crawl.

Which are the best pubs for beer and which of those would people recommend for lunch?

Ta

If you are going into the market the pubs are OK but the White Swan just across from the crooked spire is better and serves some good food.

Some terrific beers on in the Chesterfield Alehouse. Great Heck Shankar IPA and a lovely kaffir lime and coconut stout from Raw and Abbeydale. Lovely

Some terrific beers on in the Chesterfield Alehouse. Great Heck Shankar IPA and a lovely kaffir lime and coconut stout from Raw and Abbeydale. Lovely

You're making me very jealous. :hihi:

Is that your starting point?

Regards

Doom

You're making me very jealous. :hihi:

Is that your starting point?

Regards

Doom

We had one in the Royal Oak and now we are going to head back into the centre, see what The Market's like grab some food then go to the white swan and rutland

I think Chesterfield just gets better and better, for beer and food.

I agree with the list of pubs that Doom posted on here, tried them all. The 3 Valleys brewery recently opened a brewery tap on Chatsworth Road up at Brampton. They generally have a few good beers on up there. I am still waiting for the Full Monty to show up.

The Alehouse on West Bar is great and I hope they do well. Very small inside though and if you don't like that kind of very intimate bar then its maybe not for you.

I think the Rutland is terrible thesedays. Gone downhill a hell of a lot. The White Swan has loads of beers, but all are very similar in strength, and not much at 5% or over, so not really my favourite.

The Chesterfield Arms can be relied on to have a good range of beers of all strengths and styles.

Foodwise - The Market pub does very good food (and wine) for not a lot of money. They have a limited choice of real ale but it is well kept.

The new Meadowfresh store near the market square is fantastic to go for a sandwich at lunchtime. Choice of roast joints and lots of other stuff too. You can get anything you want just about.

And for romantic evenings, dining by candlelight on exquisite Italian food, (no, not pizza and pasta), Calabria is unbeatable.

I think Chesterfield just gets better and better, for beer and food.

I agree with the list of pubs that Doom posted on here, tried them all. The 3 Valleys brewery recently opened a brewery tap on Chatsworth Road up at Brampton. They generally have a few good beers on up there. I am still waiting for the Full Monty to show up.

The Alehouse on West Bar is great and I hope they do well. Very small inside though and if you don't like that kind of very intimate bar then its maybe not for you.

I think the Rutland is terrible thesedays. Gone downhill a hell of a lot. The White Swan has loads of beers, but all are very similar in strength, and not much at 5% or over, so not really my favourite.

The Chesterfield Arms can be relied on to have a good range of beers of all strengths and styles.

Foodwise - The Market pub does very good food (and wine) for not a lot of money. They have a limited choice of real ale but it is well kept.

The new Meadowfresh store near the market square is fantastic to go for a sandwich at lunchtime. Choice of roast joints and lots of other stuff too. You can get anything you want just about.

And for romantic evenings, dining by candlelight on exquisite Italian food, (no, not pizza and pasta), Calabria is unbeatable.

Not much beer over 5% in the White Swan? Bit of an odd statement to make about a pub that has Oakham Green Devil on so often. Last time I was in there they had Marble Chocolate on and they have also had Great Heck Yakima IPA on a few times. Always seems to be something good and strong on when I visit!

Not much beer over 5% in the White Swan? Bit of an odd statement to make about a pub that has Oakham Green Devil on so often. Last time I was in there they had Marble Chocolate on and they have also had Great Heck Yakima IPA on a few times. Always seems to be something good and strong on when I visit!

I think the previous poster might be right Stoaty... I was always a big fan of the White Swan but went in a little over a week ago nand they seem to have sold out! Good kegs replaced by Carling. No DeMolen left in the fridge except for the stupidly expensive stuff they have iobviously so far been unable to shift. The range of beer they once had is gone. They only had 2 Raw brewery beers on as well. The rest being decidedly average.

It's another example of somewhere making a reputation on quality and then downgrading to suit the masses.