Another new bar - The Old Workshop, Neepsend

A new bar opens to the public tonight in Neepsend. It's a joint venture and involves Tom from The Beer Engine so it might be good.

Article about it in Exposed here

Has Tom given up on the Beer Engine then and gone here? The reason I ask is because I think the Beer Engine has really gone downhill over the past few weeks. I've noticed a big change in terms of the range and quality of beers they have on. I suspect they must have lost some staff who knew what they were ordering, or, maybe changed suppliers or something? I'll give the Old Workshop a look, but it sounds like they don't have much on cask? Which is disappointing if that's the case.

Edited by DerbyTup

Has Tom given up on the Beer Engine then and gone here? The reason I ask is because I think the Beer Engine has really gone downhill over the past few weeks. I've noticed a big change in terms of the range and quality of beers they have on. I suspect they must have lost some staff who knew what they were ordering, or, maybe changed suppliers or something? I'll give the Old Workshop a look, but it sounds like they don't have much on cask? Which is disappointing if that's the case.

They don't have any cask at all, its all keg lines.

I've been wondering about this lately as I'm seeing more and more keg beers. My understanding is that CAMRA was formed as a response to the proliferation of keg beers but I'm not hearing much uproar at the moment. Is that because modern keg beers are better than in the 70s and 80s or summat else?

---------- Post added 01-09-2017 at 20:33 ----------

I've been wondering about this lately as I'm seeing more and more keg beers. My understanding is that CAMRA was formed as a response to the proliferation of keg beers but I'm not hearing much uproar at the moment. Is that because modern keg beers are better than in the 70s and 80s or summat else?

I've not noticed a drop in quality or choice at the Beer Engine, last two times I've been they had great cask and keg on.

Good luck to the people of the Old Workshop but does anyone live in Neepsend any more and is the place more appreciated by daytime customers ?

Kelham Island and those little dark streets to Neepsend (unless driving) are at night with those old buildings and narrow streets somewhat like Victorian Whitechapel. (Well, perhaps not that bad.)

Not Neepsend, but plenty of people with money to spend live in Kelham Island. It's also handy for those of us living in Pitsmoor - good places to eat and drink on our doorstep but without the property prices of Kelham Island.

Good luck to the people of the Old Workshop but does anyone live in Neepsend any more and is the place more appreciated by daytime customers ?

Kelham Island and those little dark streets to Neepsend (unless driving) are at night with those old buildings and narrow streets somewhat like Victorian Whitechapel. (Well, perhaps not that bad.)

The area has undergone massive changes in last ten years. I reckon you'll see far more bars & eating places open up over the next few years in that area

The area has undergone massive changes in last ten years. I reckon you'll see far more bars & eating places open up over the next few years in that area

Perhaps Neepsend is to become the next Eccy Road, West Street or Sloane Square, whatever, all the best to any business that want's to open there. A few years ago, some (jumped up) people used to say 'Oh we go out to Derbyshire on the weekends'. Can you imagine folks now saying 'We don't do the Derbyshire or Eccy Road stuff anymore, we go to (pose in) Neepsend now'.

Perhaps Neepsend is to become the next Eccy Road, West Street or Sloane Square, whatever, all the best to any business that want's to open there. A few years ago, some (jumped up) people used to say 'Oh we go out to Derbyshire on the weekends'. Can you imagine folks now saying 'We don't do the Derbyshire or Eccy Road stuff anymore, we go to (pose in) Neepsend now'.

I take it from your signature that you no longer live in Sheffield? Like all cities, places change and some areas go into decline and others become gentrified. Its slowly been changing for a number of years in the Kelham island area - there's lot of new flats down there, then more real ales pub, and now bars and restaurants - and seems to have reached tipping point recently.

A friend visited recently - I was at Uni with him many years ago and we used to venture to the Fat Cat in the post industrial wastelands of Kelham island in the late 80s - he was gobsmacked at how much it had changed

Eccy Road seems to have a lot of vacant units on it these days. Maybe it's had its day.

I take it from your signature that you no longer live in Sheffield? Like all cities, places change and some areas go into decline and others become gentrified. Its slowly been changing for a number of years in the Kelham island area - there's lot of new flats down there, then more real ales pub, and now bars and restaurants - and seems to have reached tipping point recently.

A friend visited recently - I was at Uni with him many years ago and we used to venture to the Fat Cat in the post industrial wastelands of Kelham island in the late 80s - he was gobsmacked at how much it had changed

I used to live in Pitsmoor and all the best to business' that open in Neepsend or Kelham Island, 'nowt' wrong with either area.

I've not noticed a drop in quality or choice at the Beer Engine, last two times I've been they had great cask and keg on.

Is OW just keg? Think it is....?!

Beer Engine quality declining. I`m , again, not sure. :confused::help: