Another new bar - The Old Workshop, Neepsend

Guest makapaka
Aye - it is. Would you like me to go through the list of new bars that have been touted around on this Forum over the last few years, and see how many are still open? DaDa, Anchorage, Hop, West St Ale House, Stone and Taps... they are only the ones that immediately spring to mind.

Plus, did you read what Dave said on the Shakespeare thread? The best of the Sheffield brewers sell more beer in Nottingham than they do in Sheffield. Having been to NCBW last weekend I can tell you it pee'd all over Sheffield Beer Week - something that may now struggle to continue after the loss of SiBA.

As a Sheffielder are you proud of this? Really? I AM a Sheffielder and I am not. I moved back to this area with high expectations a few years ago, and they have all been dashed. Pretty much everyone else I know from outside the city thinks the same way. Just happens that those that inhabit it seem to wear blinkers.

You think that one new bar can make up for this? I've said before that one bar does not a city make. Sheffield may have half a dozen good bars - at a push. Unfortunately even towns like Huddersfield have more than that. As for a new micropub opening in Woodseats, Pete - woooo! Exciting. Barnsley has had 3 new micropubs open in the last 2 months. Well donr for trying to catch up!

Fortunately it's SunFest next weekend. At least that gives me an excuse to come into Sheffield.

"Half a dozen good bars at a push" - just writing off the hundreds of others in the city then.....

Aye - it is. Would you like me to go through the list of new bars that have been touted around on this Forum over the last few years, and see how many are still open?

No but , troll-like I was wondering if you would bite and spout off the usual OTT negativity. Must admit, I rarely struggle to find a decent pint in Sheffield or the surrounding areas. ;)

No but , troll-like I was wondering if you would bite and spout off the usual OTT negativity. Must admit, I rarely struggle to find a decent pint in Sheffield or the surrounding areas. ;)

You must enjoy boring beer then. ;):hihi:

Just in case anyone was thinking of going down this weekend The Old Workshop is closed due to a leaky roof.

You must enjoy boring beer then. ;):hihi:

Mebbe. Last week the best beer I could muster was a measly Pineapple IIPA by some jokers called deMolen and the week before it was Stella, Stella 8 by Mikkeller, and it tasted nowt like real wife beater imho. :gag:

Must be drinking in the wrong pubs then :P:P

I was out in town last night after a stressful days work and had no problem finding good ales to drink and I went in pubs which don't usually class themselves as ale pubs, the glasses might have been a bit dodgy but I get used to it now.

As for Sheffield Beer Week - has already been said on Twitter it is going ahead and I think it will be much better now SIBA isn't in the way as I ended up missing some events because of this, but I am sure the usual people will be doing their usual "everything is collapsing around us" stuff... yawn. (not aimed at you Jemson)

Having been to NCBW last weekend I can tell you it pee'd all over Sheffield Beer Week - something that may now struggle to continue after the loss of SiBA.

now that bit I'm not sure I can agree with. Sheffield Beer Week was epic, I tried to be in 2 or 3 places at once and still missed stuff. As for SIBA... the fest itself is no loss, it was a pretty poor event IMO, but what it did contribute was to bring lots of brewers and industry peeps to the city, who then supported and contributed to Beer Week events

What has happened to the SIBA festival?

moved to Liverpool. And apparently trade only, no general public, I think, though I may have made that bit up

Visited last night. wow. What a great place. Certainly a great spot to be on a nice summer`s evening.

im looking forward to giving the Old workshop a go very soon.

i think we have loads of good pubs offering good beer in the city centre and kelham island / neepsend

city centre ; museum, head of steam, bath hotel, frog and parrot, great gatsby (always has a couple of pumps on), tap and tankard, bessemer (cheap and has real ale on), red deer, doctors orders, harley, forum, old house, devo cat plus usual wetherspoons and lloyds bar, fagans, dog and partridge, grapes, uni arms, green room (has good barnsley bitter on), sheffield tap, globe, rutland arms, roebuck, .- plus sure ive missed some

kelham island; riverside, harlequin, shakespeare, kelham island tav, wellington, fat cat, ship, gardeners rest, old workshop and again probably missed some

lets be positive guys - plenty to go at and i shall be visiting many over tramlines weekend for the beer and music

Edited by creweblade

Aye - it is. Would you like me to go through the list of new bars that have been touted around on this Forum over the last few years, and see how many are still open? DaDa, Anchorage, Hop, West St Ale House, Stone and Taps... they are only the ones that immediately spring to mind.

Plus, did you read what Dave said on the Shakespeare thread? The best of the Sheffield brewers sell more beer in Nottingham than they do in Sheffield. Having been to NCBW last weekend I can tell you it pee'd all over Sheffield Beer Week - something that may now struggle to continue after the loss of SiBA.

As a Sheffielder are you proud of this? Really? I AM a Sheffielder and I am not. I moved back to this area with high expectations a few years ago, and they have all been dashed. Pretty much everyone else I know from outside the city thinks the same way. Just happens that those that inhabit it seem to wear blinkers.

You think that one new bar can make up for this? I've said before that one bar does not a city make. Sheffield may have half a dozen good bars - at a push. Unfortunately even towns like Huddersfield have more than that. As for a new micropub opening in Woodseats, Pete - woooo! Exciting. Barnsley has had 3 new micropubs open in the last 2 months. Well donr for trying to catch up!

Fortunately it's SunFest next weekend. At least that gives me an excuse to come into Sheffield.

Wow! Aren't we a ray of sunshine?

Like others have said, I really have no problem finding somewhere decent to drink in Sheffield.

And, although I'm not involved in SBW anymore, thanks to everyone ELSE for the love!

---------- Post added 21-07-2017 at 12:27 ----------

Oh and I visited the Old Workshop a week or so ago. Lovely place. The ambience (on a Sunday afternoon) was great. Can't remember what I drank, but the lack of cask offering ain't gonna get my back up and I was perfectly well catered for.

It's very nicely done out and has a very nice feel to it. Bit pricey but great for an occasional visit. Neepsend coming up in the world eh? Who would have thought.