Do The Old Meadowhead Toilets Block Mark The Old Tram System Terminus?

I lived on Meadowhead as a small boy, moved away in 1952.

Yes, the tram stop was in between Greenfield Road and Little Norton Lane. If you look at the current bus stop, you will notice that the concrete base is quite large, as the tram terminus had a generous shelter, etc. There used to be a large clock on an adjacent pole.

Hanging on my wall is a James' watercolour print, showing said shelter, clock, and a 'MEADOWHEAD' tram.

However, c.1950 they extended the line a few hundred yards, and the terminus was then outside the shops at the top of Meadowhead. To turn the tram round, the driver used a long pole to swivel the power boom round.

The toilet block came later, as that corner was all taken up by Brocklehurst's Garage.

Happy days. We used to run down the little staircase and jump on the pedal that rang the bell........

Yes you are right..I used the tram every school day..Meadowhead to Scott Road Pitsmoor. There was a tram shelter and the tram just went back the way it came..As you say the driver swung the connectors round with a long pole. So yes there was NO terminus further on or anywhere else.. The end of the line then..That would be in the !940's/1950's Old bugger now 77 this year

Heading south past Graves Park there is a tree on the left with a white ring round it, this was the tram terminus was. Even today the ring is still there.

Toilets were built around 1970. I remember as a friends mum was killed crossing the road after exiting the toilets, they were relatively new at the time.

Well you learn something everyday . Just passed graves park and noticed white ring on tree as mentioned earlier .

As stated above the tram terminus was not at meadowhead it was nearer town. Meadowhead terminus was unusual in that it didn't have a block of toilets which was standard - Abbey Lane (where the DIY shop is ) Beauchief terminus - next to beauchief hotel, Millhouses loop where the flats are now. Totley Cross Sythes, Eccleshall terminus - the building is still there its listed. When the first bus serice started in 1913 from the bottom of Manchester road to lodge moor that bus shelter had a toilet attached.

I wonder if the toilet block at top of meadowhead was sited there for the 75 service short workings that turned using Norton lane and hunstone avenue to turn round - the full service went to cloonemoor driver --

NOTE this was BEFORE the service was extended to Bradway

It's a general belief that 'Meadowhead' is where the roundabout is now located.

Meadowhead is the name of the road from that roundabout down to the Abbey pub at Woodseats so the tram stop was on Meadowhead.

Before the roundabout was built this junction used to be called 'four lane ends'. After the trams there was a number 38 bus service that terminated there. We lived on Lowedges and always had to walk from there down what we called the 'cinder path'. This was located near the TA (?) barracks.

This was before the introduction of 42 & 53 bus services and well before the number 76. I think there was a 59 to Bradway bus service that we could use.

I worked at brocklehursts garage until 1967 there were no toilets there then.accross the road from the garage was a Bernie inn now called the Norton, or it was the last time I was up there.

I worked at brocklehursts garage until 1967 there were no toilets there then.accross the road from the garage was a Bernie inn now called the Norton, or it was the last time I was up there.

Do you remember the Brocklehurst Garage advert that used to be on television in the 1960's?

Used to show a shot of the garage and then I think there was a shot of a car in Graves Park (?) showing a family having a picnic.

There was a corny, catchy tune 'Buy your car the Brocklehurst Way'.

I think it was still called the Norton when it was a Berni Inn but stand to be corrected.

Something for the anoraks...............

At the bottom of the hill (on the A61), as you approach Chesterfield Road and the name changes, the sign on the wall to the left says:

MEADOWHEAD

Whereas the sign on the opposite side says:

MEADOW HEAD

Which sign was put up first...............?

Do you remember the Brocklehurst Garage advert that used to be on television in the 1960's?

Used to show a shot of the garage and then I think there was a shot of a car in Graves Park (?) showing a family having a picnic.

There was a corny, catchy tune 'Buy your car the Brocklehurst Way'.

The jingle went:

You can always trust the cars you buy at Brocklehurst's of Sheffield,

On any day & every day, buy your car the Brocklehurst way

Singing then fades to give way to a loud American-style voiceover:

"Every car personally guaranteed by Ernest Brocklehurst!"

Jingle then finishes with:

You can always trust the cars you buy at Brocklehurst's of Sheffield.

I don't know why this advert has stuck in my memory all these years.

bought a mini from Brocklehurst was ok but needed new petrol pump within days gave me a new one no problem but had to fit myself

The jingle went:

You can always trust the cars you buy at Brocklehurst's of Sheffield,

On any day & every day, buy your car the Brocklehurst way

Singing then fades to give way to a loud American-style voiceover:

"Every car personally guaranteed by Ernest Brocklehurst!"

Jingle then finishes with:

You can always trust the cars you buy at Brocklehurst's of Sheffield.

I don't know why this advert has stuck in my memory all these years.

Brilliant. Thanks.