Council: electricity provider?

This is a bit of a long shot, but I think I remember hearing that the council had a scheme running where they provided cheap electricity.

Does that just sound weird?

Does anybody know anything about it, or who I could contact if it's correct?

It doesn't sound weird to a lot of older people as councils used to be responsible for most of the utilities in big cities. What is weird is, despite that not being the case for decades, a lot of people still blame the council for everything those privatised utilities do wrong.

http://www.sheffieldnewsroom.co.uk/big-sheffield-switch-secures-cheapest-energy-deal/

Could it be this what you mean, don't think you can join it now. I remember looking into it but found better deals through energy comparison websites.

The same here, Looked into it and wasn't that good a deal.

Thanks fot the info everyone.

This is a bit of a long shot, but I think I remember hearing that the council had a scheme running where they provided cheap electricity.

Does that just sound weird?

Does anybody know anything about it, or who I could contact if it's correct?

Just wondering who would be paying the bill since the council don't have any money ?

Is not cheap, it's just another scheme where the council get a commission from the electricity company. They aren't actually giving you anything except an opportunity to contribute to their wages.

SCC cannot rule this city ,never mind a electric or gas provider,they cant even provide a cooker for our oaps they promised,imagine electric it would be madness.

I signed up to this scheme in 2014 \ 2015 and it cut £40 a month off my bill, the council asked people to sign up and then they collectively bargained with the utility companies to get a decent discount. I was so impressed with the saving that I signed up for the year after but unfortunately nothing happened so I ended up going with Sainsburys Energy which was about £5 more expensive per month.

Just a quick comparison and history for anyone interested -

Before the switch I had been with E-on paying around £120 per month, as part of the SCC switch I transferred to British Gas £78 per month, after the 12 month contract period the new estimate from BG was £130 per month, I then switched to Sainsburys (Who are British Gas) and paid £83 per month, when this ended (Nov this year) the new estimate was £137 per month. I have now switched back to British Gas and will pay £87 per month until next November so it is definitely worth switching energy suppliers every year.

Edited by samonosuke
Add information

SCC cannot rule this city ,never mind a electric or gas provider,they cant even provide a cooker for our oaps they promised,imagine electric it would be madness.

That community centre has a cooker so why are you spreading lies

the community centre is 25 yards away from our building and nothing to do with the tenants hall,the tenants hall had to have a change of cooker 2 years ago as the council didn't want to fit a extractor fan needed for gas cookers,so they bought a electric cooker for the hall ,then the idiots found out there was no electric for a cooker,then spent thousands putting one in,then found out the lunchion club usual hot dinners,useing fresh food ,could no longer be done as the cooker was not strong enough or big enough to cope,thus the old folk now have to have frozen food and cant have what they used to have,plus the numbers are restricted meaning they cannot take new members,leaving some old people unable to come,in comes the labour councillor who said I guarantee to sort it,but not to be as he lost by a landslide,so we then asked the community centre to help as they had a top cooker the answer was no,so hence old folk left with poor quality food and no hot pudding,so get your facts correct thanks.

the community centre is 25 yards away from our building and nothing to do with the tenants hall,the tenants hall had to have a change of cooker 2 years ago as the council didn't want to fit a extractor fan needed for gas cookers,so they bought a electric cooker for the hall ,then the idiots found out there was no electric for a cooker,then spent thousands putting one in,then found out the lunchion club usual hot dinners,useing fresh food ,could no longer be done as the cooker was not strong enough or big enough to cope,thus the old folk now have to have frozen food and cant have what they used to have,plus the numbers are restricted meaning they cannot take new members,leaving some old people unable to come,in comes the labour councillor who said I guarantee to sort it,but not to be as he lost by a landslide,so we then asked the community centre to help as they had a top cooker the answer was no,so hence old folk left with poor quality food and no hot pudding,so get your facts correct thanks.

Where is this place? Who is the councillor? Could it be crowdfunded?